Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Why? UA is a USA airline and the USA does not use metric measurements. And you just know, if they did adopt the metric measurements they would also adopt the metric weights.
This isn't a metric vs imperial argument. It's that the Europeans allow larger sized carry-ons. For comparison the UA sizing is (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm). As one who has purchased the European sized carry-on suitcases and used it across the globe, I'd like to continue to be able to use them as carry-on. They clearly fit and aren't a danger to anyone.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JC1120
If they're going to enforce the rules, they should go to the European size rules (55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm or 57 cm x 54 cm x 15 cm) and fix their inability to deliver checked baggage on time and intact. Certainly leave out the silly European weight rules though (8kg). Even their big corporate clients are going to have issues when their road warriors who used to be able to pack for a week with a single "carry-on" sized suitcase now has to check their bag, lose it for a few days, and possibly have it returned with damage.
The weight restrictions will almost certainly be next, followed, no doubt, by a shift to dimension + weight limits on checked bags.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
The weight restrictions will almost certainly be next, followed, no doubt, by a shift to dimension + weight limits on checked bags.
I wouldn't be surprised. Flying through VIE where the airport (not the airline) checks size and weight before going through security is such a pain.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Frontier dubles its fee if a bag is checked at the gate.

I think this kind of policy is going to make boarding a UA flight an even longer and more unpleasant experience than it is currently.
The link you provided does not show a "doubled" fee. It's much more complicated. The checked bag fee ranges from $0-$20 if paid online and $35-$100 if paid at the gate depending on fare paid and elite status. The highest fees are paid by those with no elite status and a basic fare.

I have flown Frontier as recently as Friday (MSN-DCA) and the boarding process is quite efficient - nothing like the horror of boarding a United flight. Well before actual boarding begins, you put your carry-on bag in the sizer and if it fits, the GA rubber stamps your BP (F9 does not have those pesky electronic BPs that don't work on the first try half the time).

The only people who are truly inconvenienced are the scofflaws who ignore the size rules or fail to pay the fee in advance.

Last edited by DCBob; Feb 2, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

You better measure your carry-on that is touted as "acceptable". I just measured my "acceptable" carry-on and it is 22.25" x 14.25" x 11"
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You better measure your carry-on that is touted as "acceptable". I just measured my "acceptable" carry-on and it is 22.25" x 14.25" x 11"
My favorite bag is 1/2" over. Fortunately for me, I'll probably be OK because it's the handle.

Of course, it means pulling my jacket and reading material out of the outside pocket for boarding to make sure it isn't 1/2" too thick for the sizer.

Progress.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This isn't a metric vs imperial argument. It's that the Europeans allow larger sized carry-ons. For comparison the UA sizing is (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm). As one who has purchased the European sized carry-on suitcases and used it across the globe, I'd like to continue to be able to use them as carry-on. They clearly fit and aren't a danger to anyone.
But you know you would not get the length measurements without the weight restrictions. Which would you rather be restricted by? The size or the 8Kg weight limit?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Certainly leave out the silly European weight rules though (8kg). Even their big corporate clients are going to have issues when their road warriors who used to be able to pack for a week with a single "carry-on" sized suitcase now has to check their bag, lose it for a few days, and possibly have it returned with damage.
I manage for 1-2 months with a single carry-on weighing 7kg (plus a personal item). Granted, I don't have to wear a suit when I travel, although I do need to look presentable. You might be surprised how much 7-8kg can be (particularly if you put your heavier items in your personal item).
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chollie
My favorite bag is 1/2" over. Fortunately for me, I'll probably be OK because it's the handle.

Of course, it means pulling my jacket and reading material out of the outside pocket for boarding to make sure it isn't 1/2" too thick for the sizer.

Progress.
Anecdotal evidence, but many of the "domestic carryons" sold on eBags.com are unacceptable as they are either too wide or to thick.
And yes, I am sure UA will complain about the handle sticking out.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
I manage for 1-2 months with a single carry-on weighing 7kg (plus a personal item). Granted, I don't have to wear a suit when I travel, although I do need to look presentable. You might be surprised how much 7-8kg can be (particularly if you put your heavier items in your personal item).
You're absolutely right. The key is the personal item - I've been able to travel with just one suitcase with two suits and a laptop without the 8kg limit, but the laptop usually puts me over. Move that to a second smaller bag, and I'm fine for both.

But you know you would not get the length measurements without the weight restrictions. Which would you rather be restricted by? The size or the 8Kg weight limit?
The 8kg limit, as alluded to above. Also, given that apparently most carry on sized suitcases don't actually meet the definition as posted on the UA website, this is even more key.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:20 pm

You're absolutely right. The key is the personal item - I've been able to travel with just one suitcase with two suits and a laptop without the 8kg limit, but the laptop usually puts me over. Move that to a second smaller bag, and I'm fine for both.

The 8kg limit, as alluded to above. Also, given that apparently most carry on sized suitcases don't actually meet the definition as posted on the UA website, this is even more key.
By removing the dimension criteria, they're eliminating a lot of non-problematic duffels, both with and without wheels. A 10x10x20 duffel isn't going to easily fit in the sizer if it's full. Depending on the overhead compartment, sometimes it's actually a better use of space - takes up less width, offset by a bit more height.

It is too bad that so many briefcases don't fit upright in the overheads. So many people don't want to put them under their seats (front cabin elites, I'm talking to you!), but they can be a really inefficient use of space if they lay down. No one wants another briefcase on top of theirs.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
They had this at Dulles, and lost an antitrust case because the sizers were being applied to other airlines, that didn't want to enforcer their policy so strictly (or had a different policy).
CO sued UA to have the sizers removed.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
They may have removed it from the luggage page, but it's still in the Contract of Carriage.

Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance - UA will accept one piece of Carry-on Baggage free of charge, which, for purposes of this Rule, is referred to as the “Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance”, and one personal item such as a shoulder bag, backpack, briefcase, laptop bag or similar item. Carry-on Baggage must not exceed the Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions of 45 inches (114 cm) (height + width + depth), which includes its wheels and handles, and may not be longer than 22 inches in any single dimension. Personal items must not exceed 36 linear inches, which includes any wheels and handles, and may not be longer than 17 inches in any single dimension.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:36 pm

Why? UA is a USA airline and the USA does not use metric measurements. And you just know, if they did adopt the metric measurements they would also adopt the metric weights.

And it is not about losing the bags (though some will say it is). They just don't want to wait for their checked bag. They just use the excuse the airline will lose it.
You're right, it's not just about losing the bag - or waiting for it - or paying to check it (which the elites don't).

It's also about not being able to secure the bag and ensure a reasonable chance that it will arrive with its contents untouched.

UA could learn from AS. I stopped flying AS for years after a 2+ hour wait (and mine was short) for a bag. I have started occasionally flying them again, now that they guarantee 20-minute delivery or immediate $ voucher - for all pax, not just elites.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ws8n
I wonder what happens if pax is unable to pay for the checked bag fee.
Offload pax?
Going to be some negative PR if it happens.
Actually, I wonder if someone insists on paying cash, presents a 100, and demands change. I doubt they'll keep cash on hand at every gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.