FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

bxwatso Dec 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Lifetime UA Gold, but most common routes are DEN-TUL and DEN-MSY, both of which absolutely suck on UA. DEN RJ terminal is a human rights abuse, and for some reason UA does not think a MSY-DEN flight after 5PM would be of value to business flyers. Occasional DEN-IAD, but guess what, no more widebody flights.

So, its WN for most of my flights from now on. Not that I like WN so much, but UA just does not care about the routes I most often fly.

FiveMileFinal Dec 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld (Post 24023762)
For the SFO-SEA flight where I chose UA because it was mainline, the aircraft was a few hours late arriving into SFO but it showed up in SHARES as being on-time. I traced the incoming flight and looked at the flight on radar tracking. At the time we were meant to depart SFO, the aircraft was shown as being physically over the middle portion of the US. I knew this before I even left for the airport, but I showed up on time, because SHARES said we were on time, and therefore I felt I had no choice. After all, UA could choose to substitute another aircraft, and if I wasn't on time, then I'd be out of luck and if they were overbooked, they could take my seat if I didn't show up at the airport when SHARES told me I had to be at the airport. I got to the airport, went through security, then visited the customer service desk to inquire as to how we were going to leave on time when our aircraft was a few hours away from SFO. I had to wait in line for more than 20 minutes, while the agents engaged in a personal conversation and ignored me. There was nobody in front of me. When they finally agreed to speak with me, the agent just shrugged his shoulders and told me "there's nothing I can do" because SHARES said the flight is on time even though he could see himself on the radar tracking that it wasn't anywhere near SFO. So, I set up my laptop, and just sat around working and waiting. The aircraft itself was a "dark" PMCO 737 coming from EWR - no power, no entertainment, no WIFI, no nothing. I didn't much care for a ~2 hour flight but as I was sitting on that aircraft, I was thinking about how miserable the experience must have been for a TRANSCON flight.

So when did SHARES finally give up the ghost and say your flight was late?

Definitely with you on no RJs. It took two sectors on the (now cancelled) IAD-JFK sector to wean me off that idea real quick! :D

Always Flyin Dec 19, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24008385)
Enjoy your year gnawing on that greener grass. Post next year, after AA asphalts over that lawn you love. AA and DL and UA will be all but indistinguishable in due time.

The content of your post sounds like wishful thinking to me to support your choice to remain with United.

The bottom line is that it is purely unsupported speculation with no basis in fact.

Even if you are right, I'll take AA over UA since AA hasn't demonstrated unabashed disdain for me as UA has.

United is an airline for those living in captive hubs, locked into corporate contracts, or who just don't know any better.

wanderingkev Dec 19, 2014 6:14 pm

All done !

After zero response to a simple question from a highly valued customer (their words not mine), some soul searching , 12 ish years and 3m+ travel .I called it a day today.Cancelled everything I could and will probably on principle take a $400 hit to get a another $5 grand back in early January.Just closed down Chase with $100k annual spend
Feel quite liberated and looking forward to joining my new travel partner and a very busy year of international travel.
Good luck to everyone in your future endeavours

elitetraveler Dec 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24008611)
Accurate? I'm not talking about now; I'm talking about 2016. And I'm far from alone in my assessment. ;)

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24008704)
That's fair that you're projecting (vs. talking about current state); we'll agree to disagree regardless.

But it always strikes me as quite interesting that dual UA/AA or UA/DL flyers just don't seem to think DL or AA will sink to the UA level on the myriad of issues discussed. Very different from UA-only or -dominant flyers ;)

As somebody who flies all three it is amazing how quickly AA meal service has dived -- not to UA's levels - but pretty far down, and on DL to Florida I seem to always miss whatever meal window they have from JFK/LGA.

The DL FAs are by far the best - but that's not saying lots -- the AA FAs who hated previous management continue to be hit and miss/grumpy and UA FAs are a mixed bag as well.

My strategy is to just buy the cheapest, most convenient F fare. That said, I still find UA at EWR the worst in terms of security waiting lines, even w priority.

If being able to spend miles at a fair rate is important, DL drops to the bottom, so in the end I do think it has become a mixed bag below average options.

FiveMileFinal Dec 19, 2014 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 24026097)

United is an airline for those living in captive hubs, locked into corporate contracts, or who just don't know any better.

Or who are masochists.

RNE Dec 20, 2014 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 24026097)
The content of your post sounds like wishful thinking...The bottom line is that it is purely unsupported speculation with no basis in fact.

Actually, my wishes generally include movie starlets, olive oil and chipmunks—the details of which are far too iniquitous to discuss in polite company. What cuts me to the quick is your suggestion that I would engage in speculation. Never! I scry.

LarkSFO Dec 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingkev (Post 24026188)
After zero response to a simple question from a highly valued customer (their words not mine), some soul searching , 12 ish years and 3m+ travel .I called it a day today.Cancelled everything I could and will probably on principle take a $400 hit to get a another $5 grand back in early January.Just closed down Chase with $100k annual spend
Feel quite liberated and looking forward to joining my new travel partner and a very busy year of international travel.
Good luck to everyone in your future endeavours

Additional detail would be appreciated!

your location
destinations / routes traveled most
new airline? or kayak?
etc.

Good luck!

wco81 Dec 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm contemplating leaving. I spent over $8k this year, $5700 of it on tickets.

For all that, my PQD only is at $4136.

I told MP that I'm going to stop spending money with UA because their tickets don't show how much PQD I would earn if I purchased. That and the fact that a couple of the segments I flew didn't get any PQD because of a delay causing rescheduling.

They didn't adjust the PQD for the delayed/rescheduled flight but they said they would grant me Premier Gold for 2015 as an exception.

Still I wonder what it will take to reach $6000 PQD in 2015.

$8000 in tickets?

Alternative is to go with AS and credit all the TATL flights on AF, DL, AA, KLM to the AS program.

But I would not get Economy Plus and presumably no chance of upgrades on any partner flights (not that my chances on UA or *A flights are any better).

Also have over 200k in Chase UR points too.

Have some AA miles but their saver awards are awful, often resulting in over 24 or 30 hour routings on TATL and to Oceania. That's not to mention the BA surcharges. I haven't seen what IB awards are like because it's not easy to search for them.

So UA and *A have some advantages but UA keeps chipping those away ...

PV_Premier Dec 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 24029799)
Alternative is to go with AS and credit all the TATL flights on AF, DL, AA, KLM to the AS program.

But I would not get Economy Plus and presumably no chance of upgrades on any partner flights (not that my chances on UA or *A flights are any better).

Also have over 200k in Chase UR points too.

i have found that out of the west coast, AF offers premium economy to Europe at about the same price as a W or V fare on UA. buying these and crediting them to AS is my new TATL strategy. they credit at 110%, or about 13,500 EQMs for a round trip. the hard product isn't flat bed, but it's far better than E+ (where you end up on UA if/when you lose out on the GPU lottery), and the soft product obliterates even global first on UA.

there is plenty that you can do with UR points without involving UA.

LarkSFO Dec 20, 2014 6:28 pm

I'm contemplating leaving. I spent over $8k this year, $5700 of it on tickets.

For all that, my PQD only is at $4136.

I told MP that I'm going to stop spending money with UA because their tickets don't show how much PQD I would earn if I purchased. That and the fact that a couple of the segments I flew didn't get any PQD because of a delay causing rescheduling.

They didn't adjust the PQD for the delayed/rescheduled flight but they said they would grant me Premier Gold for 2015 as an exception.

Still I wonder what it will take to reach $6000 PQD in 2015.

$8000 in tickets?

Per this wiki / thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html

"If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?"

So, at a minimum, $8K spend should result in $6,400 PQD.

Kacee Dec 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO (Post 24030283)
Per this wiki / thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html

"If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?"

So, at a minimum, $8K spend should result in $6,400 PQD.

You're not getting the full story here:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 23949789)
I bought a lot of PQMs and PDMs, which don't count towards PQDs but do count towards PQMs.

Yet I also spent over $5700 for tickets alone, apart from accelerator purchases.

wco81 Dec 20, 2014 6:56 pm

So 80% is the minimal yield or the average yield?

Jiatong Dec 20, 2014 9:04 pm

leaving UA

So UA and *A have some advantages but UA keeps chipping those away ...

Also considering leaving UA , I left Deltadumb 5 years ago for UA due to better service to China on UA. Now in 2015 will leave UA for Hainan Air, as they fly direct to Beijing from several North American cities with the new 787.
Some seasonal flight day issues with Hianan but the service is great, & no more grouchy FA's and diluted UA benefits.
Truly like Hianan out of ORD & YYZ.

mike1968 Dec 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 24030697)
Also considering leaving UA , I left Deltadumb 5 years ago for UA due to better service to China on UA. Now in 2015 will leave UA for Hainan Air, as they fly direct to Beijing from several North American cities with the new 787.
Some seasonal flight day issues with Hianan but the service is great, & no more grouchy FA's and diluted UA benefits.
Truly like Hianan out of ORD & YYZ.

I've seen Hainan and wondered abofcut them. Any specific reaons you like them from China to ORD? I've heard Chinese carriers are really upgrading their F/C products, especially relative to DL and COua, so would like observations as I'll have at least 2 China trips next year. Was thinking CX, but would prefer nonstops.