FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

RNE Dec 30, 2014 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Mferrari24 (Post 24070401)
We don't know if AA will change to a revenue based system and I'm waiting to see if the change with UA actually reduced the number of elites.

Flying the coop is fine, but delusion is not. Most of us know AA will change to a revenue-based system. Enjoy your year of reprieve.

RNE, taking the OP's doubt to an extreme: we don't know the sun will rise tomorrow; let's assume it won't and proceed accordingly. :rolleyes:

Always Flyin Dec 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24072020)
Flying the coop is fine, but delusion is not. Most of us know AA will change to a revenue-based system. Enjoy your year of reprieve.

No such thing is known. The content of your post is pure unsupported speculation and appears to be an effort to justify a foolhardy decision to remain with an awful airline that lies to its passengers and treats them with utter disdain.

pigx5 Dec 30, 2014 1:14 pm

RNE, taking the OP's doubt to an extreme: we don't know the sun will rise tomorrow; let's assume it won't and proceed accordingly. :rolleyes:

Even it's one year....
Why do people want to suffer a whole one year with UA instead of enjoying one year with other airlines?

CO_Nonrev_elite Dec 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Is this the same "Most of us know" that AA will get rid of certs and go to the Unlimited complimentary upgrade system ?

UA-NYC Dec 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite (Post 24074345)
Is this the same "Most of us know" that AA will get rid of certs and go to the Unlimited complimentary upgrade system ?

Or go to four elite status levels? And add in fare bucket restrictions on SWUs? ;)

RNE Dec 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by pigx5 (Post 24074180)
Even it's one year....
Why do people want to suffer a whole one year with UA instead of enjoying one year with other airlines?

Hey, I said I was OK with him flying the coop. ^

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite (Post 24074345)

No. That's a different "most of us." ;)

bldr1k Dec 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu (Post 24059331)
Looks like I'm not completely "leaving" yet. I need to do a RT DFW-SMF-DFW in January.

AA - $696 in Y
UA - $322 in Y or $698 in F

Yes, AA has non-stops, but the timing of departures actually work better for me on UA. Plus, although I'm enjoying the move to AA, it certainly isn't enough to be worth an additional 116%.

This is likely going to be an ongoing problem for me for flights originating at DFW. Although I live in Latin America, I'm frequently in Dallas for family reasons during my U.S. trips, so this is going to take some additional strategy that I had not planned.

I assume the $698 is P and not F. United's P pricing is pretty aggressive and I've been buying first (especially for personal trips) more frequently then ever. I can't see how there will be any upgrades left if this continues. I've also found low first class fares on American lately.

robbgrn Dec 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 24073948)
No such thing is known. The content of your post is pure unsupported speculation and appears to be an effort to justify a foolhardy decision to remain with an awful airline that lies to its passengers and treats them with utter disdain.

tell us how you really feel. Might be time for you to take a break from your airline obsession and enjoy life a bit.

gengar Dec 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 24075056)
I assume the $698 is P and not F. United's P pricing is pretty aggressive and I've been buying first (especially for personal trips) more frequently then ever. I can't see how there will be any upgrades left if this continues. I've also found low first class fares on American lately.

The low discount F pricing also reflects how low the bar is set from TODs.

KenInEscazu Dec 30, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 24075056)

Yes, it's a P. I don't care what letter they put on it, unless they start changing the seat depending on how much one pays. ;)

I ended up buying a P outbound and K on the return for $501.69. Although I do have to hop to SFO on an Embraer 120 Brasilia on the return, the SFO-DFW looks likely to clear the CPU, so I rolled the dice.

May not have been the wisest move. No sense crying over spilled milk, but the AA res I have for the same week, DFW-ABQ, dropped from $315 to $223 overnight. Found out when I hit the "Purchase" button on a held reservation. Now there's something I remember happening exactly zero times on UA. :D

Edit: Upon reflection of my own words, I went back to check AA's current pricing. All had come down significantly. I got flights connecting in LAX with plenty of MCE and F availability for $486.20. The UG looks like a lock. I saved $15. Trade-off: Don't have to fly UA's prop/Do have to fly Eagle's CRJ-200.

Still, I get to credit the miles to the airline to which I'm now committing my focus, and I'll take the F on the 757, albeit old, to the slimline F on the E175 on the return any day of the week. I was within the 24 hour window of booking with UA, so canceled without a hitch.

Always Flyin Dec 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by robbgrn (Post 24075104)
tell us how you really feel. Might be time for you to take a break from your airline obsession and enjoy life a bit.

Sounds as though you just don't like the message. Stuck with United, are you?

I fly 250,000 to 300,000 butt-in-seat miles a year. What happens with airlines affects me pretty darn directly.

But not to worry, I am enjoying life just fine, thanks. More so because I don't fly United any more.

2014: 9,672 EQMs; $957.00.

Great business plan, Jeff!

United is an airline that the courts have found knowingly defrauds its customers (Lagen v. United Cont'l Holdings, Inc., No. 14-1375 (7th Cir. 2014)) and treats those customers with utter disdain. United is an airline only for those locked into fortress hubs, those with corporate contracts (which are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.

CO_Nonrev_elite Dec 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24074432)
No. That's a different "most of us." ;)

Love it...

WineCountryUA Dec 30, 2014 8:34 pm

TOPIC CHECK

A recent vigorous (but OT) discussion of the MM suit has been moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html .
This thread is about folks who are leaving UA and actions by UA are clearly on topic but in-depth legal analysis of the recent decision belongs in the MM suit thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Continited Dec 31, 2014 6:01 am

Just flew UA this week for the first time in about 6 months after switching all my flying over to Delta, having gotten fed up with the constant delays and bad attitudes and mishandled checked bags I was receiving. UA managed to again lose my bag, on a simple nonstop flight for which I checked it in over 2 hrs early, no IRROPS of any kind. Has been nearly 48 hours since I left EWR, and bag is apparently still in EWR as of this morning, according to UA baggage desk. Flight itself was quite lackluster in F, overall. Generally I'd say this reaffirmed my decision to jump ship over to delta, won't be back on UA anytime soon.

robbgrn Dec 31, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin (Post 24075678)
Sounds as though you just don't like the message. Stuck with United, are you?

I fly 250,000 to 300,000 butt-in-seat miles a year. What happens with airlines affects me pretty darn directly.

But not to worry, I am enjoying life just fine, thanks. More so because I don't fly United any more.

2014: 9,672 EQMs; $957.00.

Great business plan, Jeff!

United is an airline that the courts have found knowingly defrauds its customers (Lagen v. United Cont'l Holdings, Inc., No. 14-1375 (7th Cir. 2014)) and treats those customers with utter disdain. United is an airline only for those locked into fortress hubs, those with corporate contracts (which are diminishing in number), Kayakers, and those who just don't know any better.

Nah I can fly whoever I want.

Unlike 95% of people on this board who are using their employers money to fly for work (and then complain as if it was their own money being spent), I travel purely for pleasure and while no airline is perfect, I've never had any major issues with United even with me being a Gold at highest.

United even gifted me Gold last year even though I barely qualified for Silver.

Once you realize that airlines are a business who are out to make money and not grovel at the feet of frequent fliers, it becomes easier to stick with United (or any other airline for that matter).

If United ever does somehow piss me off enough, then fine, I'll come on here, make a few thousand posts about how much they suck (both before and after I defect to another airline) and then move on to AA or DL and just pay for my F tickets the old fashion way.