FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

Karl-MDW Dec 31, 2014 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Continited (Post 24077479)
Just flew UA this week for the first time in about 6 months after switching all my flying over to Delta, having gotten fed up with the constant delays and bad attitudes and mishandled checked bags I was receiving. UA managed to again lose my bag, on a simple nonstop flight for which I checked it in over 2 hrs early, no IRROPS of any kind. Has been nearly 48 hours since I left EWR, and bag is apparently still in EWR as of this morning, according to UA baggage desk. Flight itself was quite lackluster in F, overall. Generally I'd say this reaffirmed my decision to jump ship over to delta, won't be back on UA anytime soon.

I also flew UA last week. I only have 7 segments (January, November, and December) with UA this year - all domestic. I got a complimentary upgrade at the gate on only one flight (ORD-CLE) and I used miles to upgrade my most recent trip for holiday travel. I am getting used to flying in Y - and at least UA still permits my level to choose Economy Plus at booking.

Last week all flights (including a connection on Silver) were on time. Flight crews were very friendly and the service was good.

The first class service on the CRJ 700 was just a snack box, but I am told that this is going to improve in early 2015.

The lunch on the A320 was almost exactly what I experienced on UA pre-merger: the warm half almonds were OK, tomato soup, Chinese noodle chicken salad, and later in the flight a warn raisin cookie. For the time being anyway, UA still serves Dewars, one of my favorite brands.

I am disappointed in the diminished availability of Channel 9. I hate that the "slim" aircraft and most former CO aircraft do not have Channel 9, but in another forum post the UA rep noted that in the future this feature would be offered using one's own device. I hope so. At least it is something.

All in all my UA experience this year was an improvement. it was an acceptable experience by former standards, and a good experience compared to today's standard by all US airlines in their rush to the bottom.

As a retired Million Miler flying on my own dime mostly from ORD, I am here to stay - although a significantly better fare will require contributing to the bottom line of DL, AA or WN in the future.

Artpen100 Dec 31, 2014 9:45 am

The next two times I am traveling international in the Spring, I have found UA R class available at booking both ways (one only this morning), which is much cheaper than any other upgrade opportunities or outright purchases I was able to find, so I have booked UA with a confirmed upgrade with miles at booking. Usually, another airline is competitive (in the past, usually AF), but not so far.

zcat18 Dec 31, 2014 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 24078420)
The next two times I am traveling international in the Spring, I have found UA R class available at booking both ways (one only this morning), which is much cheaper than any other upgrade opportunities or outright purchases I was able to find, so I have booked UA with a confirmed upgrade with miles at booking. Usually, another airline is competitive (in the past, usually AF), but not so far.

Yeah, I find it interesting how bad GPU and miles upgrade success rates for some folks are versus how good they are for others with similar travel patterns. Having now completed almost two years as a 1K, I've had only one instance where a GPU didn't ultimately clear and have managed to successfully use all of them. I recently booked EWR-TLV on a Saturday with 0R showing at booking, and the GPU still cleared six weeks out. I know it all depends on fare class, when you travel, route, etc., but it is interesting nonetheless. I've got the opposite problem to many people--I have great luck with GPUs and miserable luck with CPUs, but as GPUs are far more important to me, I'll probably stick around for now.

JC1976 Dec 31, 2014 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 24078420)

Trying to understand R class. R class means its available upgrade using miles but not necessarily using gpu?

Originally Posted by zcat18 (Post 24078591)
Yeah, I find it interesting how bad GPU and miles upgrade success rates for some folks are versus how good they are for others with similar travel patterns. Having now completed almost two years as a 1K, I've had only one instance where a GPU didn't ultimately clear and have managed to successfully use all of them. I recently booked EWR-TLV on a Saturday with 0R showing at booking, and the GPU still cleared six weeks out. I know it all depends on fare class, when you travel, route, etc., but it is interesting nonetheless. I've got the opposite problem to many people--I have great luck with GPUs and miserable luck with CPUs, but as GPUs are far more important to me, I'll probably stick around for now.

I've gotten more upgrades as 1k status than using my rpu's. They're meant to be given away imo
Buying up to W now cost more for my route. About 450 more to go from k to w ewr-gru on one segment. So the gpu isn't worth much anymore because it is 25k miles + $500 for the oneway upgrade. I didn't clear gpu twice and you don't get your money back like you would with miles and $ if you don't get the upgrade.

UA-NYC Dec 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by JC1976 (Post 24081253)
Trying to understand R class. R class means its available upgrade using miles but not necessarily using gpu?

No, available to both miles and GPUs, along with RPUs (domestic/non-PS-BF flights for the latter)

kulflyer Jan 1, 2015 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu (Post 24040137)
They put me in that Red Roof Inn one time, and I've also been put in the Park Inn one night along with (literally) 100+ other people when a late flight was canceled. I was at the end of the line, and they had two people working the desk. At least the Park Inn had a restaurant.

Most recently I got put into a Best Western while a no-status girl in front of us got the Westin in SFO. She was flying coach and we were on miles upgraded Business First. To add salt to it, the Best Western shuttle already had their last pickup and if I didn't call them after waiting 10 minutes, we would still be waiting for the shuttle at the airport! And that's after the rebooking agent called the hotel confirming shuttle is still running.

UA-NYC Jan 1, 2015 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by danielchee (Post 24085402)
Most recently I got put into a Best Western while a no-status girl in front of us got the Westin in SFO. She was flying coach and we were on miles upgraded Business First. To add salt to it, the Best Western shuttle already had their last pickup and if I didn't call them after waiting 10 minutes, we would still be waiting for the shuttle at the airport! And that's after the rebooking agent called the hotel confirming shuttle is still running.

I remember seeing this post and forgot to follow up on it...did you ask why you couldn't get the Westin too? Was it sold out after her?

CO_Nonrev_elite Jan 1, 2015 9:47 pm

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

With Delta seemingly removing one of the last major obstacles (Poor Award Avail and now allowing One-Way Awards), was this a last straw for some holdouts ?. As a NYC flyer, Delta is a lot better out of NYC than AA, and their impossible and expensive redemptions were a huge problem for me.

jpsj Jan 2, 2015 4:48 am

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

I will get them when I re qualify in February

Artpen100 Jan 2, 2015 9:23 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24081268)
No, available to both miles and GPUs, along with RPUs (domestic/non-PS-BF flights for the latter)

Right - and the significant thing is that if R class is available (R>0), the upgrade should clear immediately (at least for one being made then - an existing waitlist entry might take some time to clear, allowing someone to claim it in the meantime unless you are very proactive, which is the subject of another, lengthy thread). Upgrade at booking is the important thing to me. I will often pay for one or more legs in business class to avoid taking a chance with the waitlist, because you cannot depend that R will ever come up, let alone that it will go to you.

However, I have until recently been finding that fully refundable economy AF TATL with O class (their R class) available for instant upgrade is less than paying for business oubound to Europe on UA, then using miles for an upgrade on the return (which being a daytime flight is easier to find). Next year, it is looking like the reverse, even before getting lucky and finding R class on the outbound. Still with UA's 550USD each way fuel charge, I am still paying 2700USD in cash with 40K miles, so I don't feel like UA is exactly losing money. On quiet days, I have seen them charge as little as 2900USD for business class outright on these routes.

goalie Jan 2, 2015 9:57 am

Time to put the 2014 thread to bed and continue the discussion in the 2015 thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-edition.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator