FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1542654-how-many-really-leaving-ua-2014-edition.html)

IAHUArunner Dec 12, 2014 8:09 am

Not Completely

Old Onepass Elite and now UA 1K. Giving one more year -Gold (only) for 2015
Trying to burn through all the miles from those flights and CC bonuses. Used up almost 600k this year (4 Biz-through Asia). It is tough to completely ignore UA being based in Houston.

(Giving Away 2 SWU as Christmas gift! PM if you are flying before jan 31st)

profintraining Dec 12, 2014 8:36 am

Question to the mid-level status members jumping ship (UA/*A Gold): is it worth trying to match status within *A? I know that A3 has changed their terms so its harder to earn status, but I was considering matching on TK + 25k mpy or 37.5 in two years for 2 years *Gold.

It's that or swap to BA (relocated to London), but every time I end up on AA its a mess. Does AA improve significantly with status? I'd imagine their elites are stuck with cancelled flights just as often...

UA-NYC Dec 12, 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by profintraining (Post 23985305)
It's that or swap to BA (relocated to London), but every time I end up on AA its a mess. Does AA improve significantly with status? I'd imagine their elites are stuck with cancelled flights just as often...

Multi-year 1K and an AA Plat regaining EXP in a week. I find my AA experience to be generally superior to UA, personally (even as a mid-tier AA elite this year vs. top tier UA).

Not sure what it is, but AA just doesn't seem to run the planes quite as tight, and seems to recover better in IRROPS. YMMV of course.

profintraining Dec 12, 2014 9:12 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23985373)
Multi-year 1K and an AA Plat regaining EXP in a week. I find my AA experience to be generally superior to UA, personally (even as a mid-tier AA elite this year vs. top tier UA).

Not sure what it is, but AA just doesn't seem to run the planes quite as tight, and seems to recover better in IRROPS. YMMV of course.

Thanks! I've had some bad experience with AA canceling flights/not notifying me promptly/ booking me on a (+9 hour) later flight rather than the next available, so it's good to hear that they handle elites better. Do you have any experience w. availability of TATL award flights on AA? I was under the impression their miles weren't worth very much.

UA-NYC Dec 12, 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by profintraining (Post 23985532)
Thanks! I've had some bad experience with AA canceling flights/not notifying me promptly/ booking me on a (+9 hour) later flight rather than the next available, so it's good to hear that they handle elites better. Do you have any experience w. availability of TATL award flights on AA? I was under the impression their miles weren't worth very much.

Not sure how much better UA will be for IRROPS...great if you're GS, otherwise, hit or miss.

AA has tightened up award availability and has fewer Euro partners than UA. BA C/F is pretty much always available IME but you have the big surcharges. Otherwise there's IB/AB/Finnair.

Kurt Dec 12, 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 23971667)
with B6 in the game for $599 confirmed J one way on a product that blows UA (and most anyone else) out of the water, i wouldn't be anywhere near the fence anymore :)

I just checked out B6's Mint - it looks like a great product, especially for the price.

anc-ord772 Dec 12, 2014 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt (Post 23986389)
I just checked out B6's Mint - it looks like a great product, especially for the price.

Can't wait to try it!

hockey7711 Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm

When you consider the upcoming PS upgrade fees, the Mint product is a real alternative.

(And you don't need to spend 20K miles too- since you won't earn them as easily after March 2015)

ATXflyer Dec 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Just finished my last flight of the year. 136 segments, 176k points, 173K bis miles on AA and 4 segments on UA.

Next year, ZERO for UA. I'll fly AA, Jet Blue, Alaska, SW, even Delta before UAX again.

jpsj Dec 12, 2014 5:48 pm

My Last planned UA Flight

Tomorrow is my last UA flight--heading to AA for 2015---1.1 million miles and making the change. I figure that if AA becomes like UA then I haven't lost much and certainly with where UA is heading in 2015, might as well get a little bit more with AA!

But it is bittersweet---I enjoy the UC folks in PHL--they are a good lot and I certainly have my favorite places to pass a layover in ORD, DEN, SFO and IAH.

I really want the upgrades and UA just isn't cutting it for me--later 2014 was poor and then the whole wifi situation is a disaster. I had 4 cross country planes with either no wifi or inop wifi. That is a lot of time and that is something that I value!

Anyhow, you all have heard it before, I am just a bit sentimental as UA is alike an old shoe. I guess I need to break in a new pair now with AA!

milepig Dec 12, 2014 5:52 pm

Don't tell us, write smi/j. Only *alliance keeps me hanging around, UA itself is a train wreck.

GAMRican Dec 13, 2014 6:23 am

I'm a 1K, and have requalified for 2015-2016. But I think 2015 will be my last year with UA. I'm betting that the AA/US FF program will be easier and less expensive for me to obtain, while at the same time giving me pretty much the global coverage that I need. Granted, OW is not as expansive as SA, but I'm doing more travel to Latin America and Europe. The OW partners are sufficient for now.

I put the stake in the ground last night be taking advantage of the US "Trial Preferred" program at the Platinum level, and booking a relatively inexpensive SFO-DFW-ICN-DFW-SFO trip for January. That will get me 16,540 out of 30k for USDM CP status. I'll do that a second time to nail it. Any other travel which comes along before then may get me over 30k before the return leg from ICN, but I doubt that would post quick enough to enjoy CP benefits.

In any case, my departure from UA 1k should not be too much torture (aside from two 14.5 hour flights).

jpsj Dec 13, 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 23988252)
Don't tell us, write smi/j. Only *alliance keeps me hanging around, UA itself is a train wreck.

Seriously, write him? Been there, done that. The response is pretty clear in what we are seeing. It just took me this long to accept it!:D

LaserSailor Dec 13, 2014 9:58 am

Only *alliance keeps me hanging around
I think this is missed by a lot of people here. There are a lot more HVF who never frequent these pages, for whom this is the whole thing.

UA (and the others) are being run for these flyers, not for FT.

Im not going to lose a half business day connecting through some city for a better glass of champagne or even a better price, for that matter.

StingWest Dec 13, 2014 10:28 am

Yes, good point about the Star Alliance.

For me, traveling mostly internationally TATL, UA is the best alternative if I ever want to upgrade to business class. I'm 18/20 over the past year on UA, but upgrades are particularly hard to find on VS and BA (both used infrequently), and free tickets are not "free" on either if I want to burn miles on those two either. (AA/DL are poor choices out of SFO for me)

But if I had to sit on many flights with the new "slim-line" UA seats as I did over Thanksgiving, I'd be gone in a second.