Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
This was the letter I got while sitting here at the united club at HNL after picking one of the options from the customer appreciation email.

On behalf of United Airlines please accept my apology for any concern or inconvenience you may have experienced during Flight 840 on February 7th.

After departure, I understand our flight crew reported smoke in the cabin, which resulted in the diversion to Honolulu and the cancellation of your flight. I want to assure you that your comfort and safety is our first priority each time you travel with us. While the event you experienced was certainly out of the ordinary, your captain took all precautionary measures. Nonetheless, I recognize this incident may have been discomforting for you and regret any anxiety you may have felt personally or on behalf of others. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we made preparations to get you safely back on your way to Los Angeles.

They rebooked me on the later flight to LAX and the email offer for me was either 15,000 miles, $300 e cert or 20% off future ticket purchase.

Since it was middle of the night most of the flight was asleep. I woke up as the flight crew were coming around the business class section to manually get the seats to takeoff/landing position.

United did a good job of keeping everyone informed on the status and what was going on. Just glad that everyone landed safely.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by LAdude
This was the letter I got while sitting here at the united club at HNL after picking one of the options from the customer appreciation email.

On behalf of United Airlines please accept my apology for any concern or inconvenience you may have experienced during Flight 840 on February 7th.

After departure, I understand our flight crew reported smoke in the cabin, which resulted in the diversion to Honolulu and the cancellation of your flight. I want to assure you that your comfort and safety is our first priority each time you travel with us. While the event you experienced was certainly out of the ordinary, your captain took all precautionary measures. Nonetheless, I recognize this incident may have been discomforting for you and regret any anxiety you may have felt personally or on behalf of others. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we made preparations to get you safely back on your way to Los Angeles.

They rebooked me on the later flight to LAX and the email offer for me was either 15,000 miles, $300 e cert or 20% off future ticket purchase.

Since it was middle of the night most of the flight was asleep. I woke up as the flight crew were coming around the business class section to manually get the seats to takeoff/landing position.

United did a good job of keeping everyone informed on the status and what was going on. Just glad that everyone landed safely.
Smoke in the cabin is no laughing matter --- were you on the flight? How much smoke was there? HNL is a long way from SYD, so it must have been noticed several hours into the flight.

But glad to hear you made it out safely.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HHonors Diamond

From what I heard over the PA system was that there was some smoke from the cockpit as I didn't smell any smoke towards the front. The lights in the cabin and bathroom were not working, the chair controls and the entertainment systems.

I am not sure when initial announcements were made as I was asleep.
At the same time the plane landed and taxied to gate. I am assuming if it was something more then plane would have gone to remote location or there would have been many fire trucks and emergency personnel

Just landed in LA about 12 hours later then originally scheduled which is not as bad as some of the other delays I read from previous post and other 747 delays from other cities. Of course Landing in Honolulu helped as there were multiple flights leaving to different destinations from there
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
AV Herald Report - Incident: United B744 over Pacific on Feb 7th 2014, fumes on board

Interesting mistake on behalf of the cockpit crew - broadcasting their divert announcement to ATC rather than the cabin...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 11:44 pm

11 feb UA839 LAX-SYD fuel leak at LAX. All pax deplaned. Awaiting further info!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
10 Feb UA839 LAX-SYD returned to gate, one broken air-pack (air-conditioner). Departed an hour late without fixing it, evidently they carry a spare, made it OK to Sydney.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:26 am

11 feb UA839 LAX-SYD cancelled due to fuel leak. Pax accommodated at local hotels rescheduled departure 9pm 12 feb.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by antkleve
11 feb UA839 LAX-SYD cancelled due to fuel leak. Pax accommodated at local hotels rescheduled departure 9pm 12 feb.
UA840 (SYD-LAX) on the 13th canceled as a result, so they have swapped the plane that was due to go to LAX to the SFO flight (remembering these normally do a LAX-SYD-MEL-SYD-SFO rotation).

The tag flight to MEL looks like it's still on, so it must also be being done with the plane from SFO.

At this stage I can't see a make-up LAX-SFO being run today. Tonights UA840 is basically at capacity so maybe they were able to move enough passengers to that and/or other carriers flights to avoid the extra flight.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
I can't say all this is inspiring a lot of confidence in the future flights I have to take on this route. I've got one rt booked, and am wavering on booking 2 more I had intended to book.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by syrahnose
I can't say all this is inspiring a lot of confidence in the future flights I have to take on this route. I've got one rt booked, and am wavering on booking 2 more I had intended to book.
Ideally success rate will improve with switch to 777 next month.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
We were on UA #870 the Sat 8th Feb.

In the Koru lounge, flight not posted on the Departures board. Annie said she'd make an announcement. First the 4:20 departure was delayed to 5pm. At 5 pm it was cancelled. Annie led all the passengers in a little herd down to Gate 61, where we waited a while: then back through customs to collect our bags. I had been on the phone to the 1K Desk while in line and rebooked ourselves. Luckily our B&B in Potts Point had rooms, so we just hopped into a taxi and went back to enjoy another few days in SYD. Fortunately, we had the extra time.

What I'm surprised at is that we have not heard a word from United customer appreciation about our flight cancellations/ compensation offers. My husband crossed 2 million miles on this flight.

I will be contacting 1K Voice, expect to see some reimbursement/miles

Last edited by mmack; Feb 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm Reason: Wrong date
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
We were on UA #870 the Sat 15th Feb.

In the Koru lounge, flight not posted on the Departures board. Annie said she'd make an announcement. First the 4:20 departure was delayed to 5pm. At 5 pm it was cancelled.
I'm guessing you've got the day/date wrong there, given that it's currently only 10:30am on the 15th in Sydney. I also can't see any UA870 cancellations for the past few days.

The only recent cancellation seems to be UA840 on the 13th as mentioned above - is that what you're referring to? I'm guessing not as that flight was canceled >12 hours in advance, but...

Maybe UA870 on Saturday the 8th of Feb?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm guessing you've got the day/date wrong there, given that it's currently only 10:30am on the 15th in Sydney. I also can't see any UA870 cancellations for the past few days.

The only recent cancellation seems to be UA840 on the 13th as mentioned above - is that what you're referring to? I'm guessing not as that flight was canceled >12 hours in advance, but...

Maybe UA870 on Saturday the 8th of Feb?
Yes, the 8th Feb. Our rebooked flight was the 12th Feb SYD-SFO. I have corrected my OP. Still jet lagged I guess
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
I am amazed at these postings about this route's reliability. It is worse than ORD/SFO HKG, and neither of those are what I would call "reliable." I take those routes 4-5 times a year, and it is like playing the slots.

I would love to know how, for example, Cathay Pacific manages to run their HKG routes close to schedule year 'round, using 744s. The fact is, on any given day, Mr. Smisek has no clue which of the 744s will be cancelled on these long haul routes. But one thing he can be absolutely sure of: at least one of his 744s today will not be leaving on time, and probably very late. Sorry, I just don't understand this. I'd love to hear a 744 captain's defense of this kind of operating philosophy.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 1:15 pm

Another annoying thing about this weeks 839 was that UA forgot to upload the APIS data for the new flight into the Australian immigration system so on arrival into SYD the smart gates rejected all pax on the cancelled 839 and immigration had to be manually processed by 1 immigration officer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.