Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "United SYD/MEL Flight Delays or Cancellations" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
flew 840 syd-lax yesterday. AVOD only worked half of flight, had to be rebooted half dozen times. Weird lighting system problems related to that as many reading lights came on and stayed on during long reboot/freeze up periods. Food in E+ pretty bad compared to competition.

3rd on waitlist, I didn't get GPU upgrade, now batting 1 for 3 on this flight this year, whereas all previous flights last year was 4 for 4.

Very odd stuff going on here. 6 empty biz and 2 first seats, existed 24 hours out, evaporated before gate opened.

On positive note, at least United changed some of the new movies from earlier flight this month.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Qantas had an A380 turn around on LAX-SYD a week or two back.

Yeah, I know that's not United, but without any UA cancellations we need something to talk about!
Old May 9, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Anyone know why 840 canceled on 5/8? Says "maintenance" but that can cover a multitude of sins...
Old May 10, 2014, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by JDT1955
Anyone know why 840 canceled on 5/8? Says "maintenance" but that can cover a multitude of sins...
This could be the first cancellation since the downgauge to the 772 from the 744 at the end of March

Did 863 operate on Tuesday May 6 ? (providing an aeroplane for 840 SYD-LAX on Thursday May 08)
Old May 10, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by syrahnose
flew 840 syd-lax yesterday. AVOD only worked half of flight, had to be rebooted half dozen times. Weird lighting system problems related to that as many reading lights came on and stayed on during long reboot/freeze up periods. Food in E+ pretty bad compared to competition.

3rd on waitlist, I didn't get GPU upgrade, now batting 1 for 3 on this flight this year, whereas all previous flights last year was 4 for 4.

Very odd stuff going on here. 6 empty biz and 2 first seats, existed 24 hours out, evaporated before gate opened.

On positive note, at least United changed some of the new movies from earlier flight this month.
I was on that flight in 1A, flew with one open GF seat. Luckily when AVOD went down it was my nap time, and was up again when woke up.
Old May 11, 2014, 11:56 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Just did 870 to SFO. I really prefer the UD on the 744 but the slightly longer bed in row 7 on the 772 made up for the cramped conditions. Crew were chatty and pleasant. They made the flight a pleasure. My only complaint was the quality of the lamb in the rack of lamb. Gristle and tough. Crew unwilling / unable to replace it with something more edible - maybe there was nothing left? Oh, and the AVOD did auto shut-off every now and again, but was easily started with a button push.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
uA863 mechanical delay tonight. currently sitting at the gate 2 hours late. Captain just sAid problem fixed,taking on extra fuel and we will depart- I hope so...
Old May 20, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IainC
uA863 mechanical delay tonight. currently sitting at the gate 2 hours late. Captain just sAid problem fixed,taking on extra fuel and we will depart- I hope so...
Hope you made it! There seems to be much more resilience on the (fewer) delays since the 772s took over this route.

In the past, a 2 hour delay would almost certainly have triggered cancellation due to crew 'time out' issue.

Anyone have an idea why the 772s seem not to be prone to crew time outs that plagued 747 cancellations?
Old May 20, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Hope you made it! There seems to be much more resilience on the (fewer) delays since the 772s took over this route.

In the past, a 2 hour delay would almost certainly have triggered cancellation due to crew 'time out' issue.

Anyone have an idea why the 772s seem not to be prone to crew time outs that plagued 747 cancellations?
Currently showing an 8:10am arrival, which is less than 2 hours late. I don't know what the timeout limit is on this route, but it's certainly more than 2 hours, regardless of the type of bird being used.

Winds have been fairly favorable many days over the past few week by the looks of it, which helps them make up time. I was on 863 on the 8th, and they deliberately delayed takeoff nearly an hour due to the tailwinds and the Sydney curfew.
Old May 20, 2014, 3:11 pm

772 should be more likely to suffer crew time outs because the aeroplane's cruising speed is ~3% slower that the 744 - so is flying time 30 minutes longer?

The four engined 744 could take the most economical route - does the 772 ETOPS regulations dictate any sort routing ?
Old May 20, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM

Fortunately yes we made it, arriving in SYD 8:15 am. We were surprised at 2 h that the crew did not time out and flight cancelled. The original departure time was 10:10 pm but we did not leave the gate until 12:25 am. The mechanical was the result of the Captain's ear phones not working and an issue with the oxygen masks in the cockpit. Why all this was not discovered until after we had taxied out to the end of the runway for take-off is strange - you would think the Captain would don the headset once doors closed at the gate and the mistake discovered then..If UA had cancelled UA863, it would have been a calamitous night for UA as UA830 (SFO-LHR) was cancelled as we were boarding UA863.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Not good news for SYD-SFO pax out of SYD today 14 June.

870 is cancelled for "aircraft servicing" reasons.

I only hope that seats available on other services.

Looks like a busy day for Annie and colleagues.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
so, being that the 747s have gone on to fly other routes, delays and cancellations to/from SYD/MEL have gone down significantly. What about the delays and cancellations on the routes that the 747s have been switched to?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier
Not good news for SYD-SFO pax out of SYD today 14 June.

870 is cancelled for "aircraft servicing" reasons.

I only hope that seats available on other services.

Looks like a busy day for Annie and colleagues.
It looks like 863 did not depart SFO on Thursday Night June 12 giving them some many hours to prepare and hopefully call SYD based pax before they leave home in Sydney.

Saturday is normally one of the busiest days of the week at Sydney's Kingsford Smith Aerodrome
for international arrivals and departures.

Monday June 16 there is an additional SYD-SFO flight UA2074 scheduled to depart SYD at 15:30
It looks like the additional aeroplane arrived on Sunday June 15 as UA2070

Last edited by Aspen; Jun 15, 2014 at 10:12 pm Reason: The aeroplane departed SFO 24 hours late
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:48 pm

4th of July celebration - not !

840 SYD-LAX did not fly on Friday July 04

I do not know if 839 even departed Wednesday July 02 - can someone confirm?

A busy time for flights in & out of Sydney with school holidays and not a great time to have 24 hour delays in a short holiday to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.