Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k
May I jump in with a question? I was either Plat or 1k for years, but do to job changes dropped to Silver last year. Doing a little more flying this year, mostly short but expensive flights. So I will get Silver again but not Gold. Gold would be much more helpful as I would take advantage of the ability to change flights within 24 hrs on a regular basis. I will get the spending level for Gold. So, my offers of $.026/RDM and $.09/PQM are worth it to me IF the miles are added to my Lifetime Flight Miles so I could achieve permanent Gold more quickly. Does anyone know if these are then added to Lifetime Flight Miles? Or is this only for "butt in seat" miles? I have no time to do MRs.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:28 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abby2u
May I jump in with a question? I was either Plat or 1k for years, but do to job changes dropped to Silver last year. Doing a little more flying this year, mostly short but expensive flights. So I will get Silver again but not Gold. Gold would be much more helpful as I would take advantage of the ability to change flights within 24 hrs on a regular basis. I will get the spending level for Gold. So, my offers of $.026/RDM and $.09/PQM are worth it to me IF the miles are added to my Lifetime Flight Miles so I could achieve permanent Gold more quickly. Does anyone know if these are then added to Lifetime Flight Miles? Or is this only for "butt in seat" miles? I have no time to do MRs.
Accelerator PQMs do NOT count toward LFM.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Accelerator PQMs do NOT count toward LFM.
I already knew this, but it is further support for my assertion that accelerator PQMs (PAMs) are the most brilliant marketing scheme in airline history since the FF programs themselves. Purchasers are buying the possibility that they may receive perks if they meet all the other requirements of their desired status. Nothing is guaranteed, and they don't even have to fly you anywhere!

It is a little less brilliant this year as they have disqualified this pure profit machine from PQD qualification. I have my ideas about why, but overall, particularly given how revenue driven they are, it's still a bit of a head scratcher for me. My guess is that they would have earned millions this year if they qualified that will now not be realized.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
It is a little less brilliant this year as they have disqualified this pure profit machine from PQD qualification. I have my ideas about why, but overall, particularly given how revenue driven they are, it's still a bit of a head scratcher for me. My guess is that they would have earned millions this year if they qualified that will now not be realized.
Last year I purchased around 18,000 PQM. This year I will purchase 0, precisely because that doesn't count towards PQD. Brilliant move, United.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:33 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Purchasers are buying the possibility that they may receive perks if they meet all the other requirements of their desired status.
I'm with you on this, but it's not quite so chancy. Said purchasers should calculate their ability to meet all the requirements for status before buying PQMs. If they fail to do so, that's not UA's problem.

Originally Posted by halls120
Last year I purchased around 18,000 PQM. This year I will purchase 0, precisely because that doesn't count towards PQD. Brilliant move, United.
Totally agree that Accelerator PQM purchases should count toward PQD. This is a cash cow for United. And they're failing to milk it for all it's worth.

My plan to move up from Gold to Platinum this year includes the purchase of 12-15,000 PQMs. Unanticipated travel may make that number smaller. After all, the year isn't even half over yet. Still, it's not wise to dither too long on PQM purchases. We all know what happens to prices as the year grows long in the tooth.

RNE, not subject to PQD (this year; nobody knows about next year ) but sympathetic to those who are.
Old May 29, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I agree with the other posters, unless you have a PQD waiver or are flying a lot of F or J, buying PQMs doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm also a bit curious why they do it this way.
Old May 31, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Dear Moderator(s)

Dear Mods,

I just wrote a lengthy email to 1K Voice about the disparity of rates charged for PQMs citing 7 reservations for my wife, daugther and I where I am quoted a PQM rate that is double than my wife and daugher. I received an interesting reply from UA and I received their concurrence to post my Q and their response on FT.

May I please post it ? It is a bit lengthy.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:21 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpicur
Dear Mods,

I just wrote a lengthy email to 1K Voice about the disparity of rates charged for PQMs citing 7 reservations for my wife, daugther and I where I am quoted a PQM rate that is double than my wife and daugher. I received an interesting reply from UA and I received their concurrence to post my Q and their response on FT.

Even better, you have my permission. Just don't include any people's names nor violate other TOS.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by gpicur
Dear Mods,

I would LOVE to read this. Just take out any names of employees -- people post letters/emails from UA all the time.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I would LOVE to read this. Just take out any names of employees -- people post letters/emails from UA all the time.
+1 The mods will be able to see that you asked permission, so if they have a problem with it for any reason, they can always take it out. Nothing to lose. You'll be doing your fellow FTers a tremendous favor, as this is a topic that has been beaten to death here for a long time.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:41 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Patience. Assuming gipcur is in Saudi Arabia, he may be asleep now.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile MY Q & A with UA on PQM rates

Here is my recent email Q & A with United RE: PQM rates

Dear 1K Representative,

As a 1K flyer I am always keen to opportunities to maintain the highest service by attaining annual 1K membership. I have maintained this status for 7 of the past 8 years. As I live and work in a city that United does not serve, I sometimes find it necessary to purchase a few Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) through the Premier Accelerator program in order to maintain 1K Status. As I make and pay for numerous reservations for both myself, family and friends, I have discovered an extreme disparity in the cost of those PQMs between reservations. Sadly, as the most frequent flyer, spender and payer for all these tickets, it is I that incurs the HIGHEST cost per PQM. I think this is unfair and even illogical as in most marketing/pricing, volume and loyalty are rewarded with the best rates. Need Proof ? Here is a sample of the reservations that I have made and the rate per PQM offered taken directly from My Reservations at United.Com:

Name- Reserv# PQM Offer PQM Rate

Not Gpicur xxxxx 9000 PQM for $630 $.07 per PQM
Not Gpicur xxxxx 30,000 PQM for $2,100 $.07 per PQM
GPicur xxxxx 30,000 PQM for $4,200 $.14 per PQM
Not Gpicur xxxxx 8,000 PQM for $560 $.07 per PQM
Not GPicur xxxxx 15,000 PQM for $315 $.07 per PQM
GPicur xxxxx 11,000 PQM for $1,100 $.10 per PQM
GPicur xxxxx 30,000 PQM for $4200 $.14 per PQM

As you can see from this sample, the offered rate to me is double that of the offers to the other flyers ?

Can you kindly explain this ?

I would like to offer a win-win resolution to my above complaint. Please kindly offer me the same rate (i.e. $.07) per PQM rate on my upcoming reservations. You will hence enhance your revenue and I will be a happier customer. In addition, with your concurrence I would like to publish this PQM Question and Your response on Flyertalk.com (less the personal identifyers).

Your reply, insight and efforts at resolution are most greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

United's Reply:

Hello Gpicur,

We’re glad to hear from one of our most loyal customers. Not many can say they've flown more than a million miles! Thanks for writing. The amount for the Premier Accelerator Miles is not a flat rate. It is set on several factors, including status, the travel itinerary, booking classes, time before travel begins, and time of the year it is booked. To compare your (other) itineraries with your own is difficult because of the different variations in your accounts. In reviewing your accounts, I have noticed a few differences that could result in the different prices. You are normally booking Business or First Class tickets where your (other) is usually booked in Economy. As the Business and First Class tickets will already be earning a Premier Qualifying Miles bonus, the Premier Accelerator Miles are basing off of your higher fare versus her Economy fare because you are already earning extra Premier Qualifying Miles for the fare purchased. Another variable is the status level that is trying to be attained for the following year. As a Million Miler are always going to be no less than a Premier Gold member, you are trying to attain a higher level (Premier Platinum or higher) with greater benefits than the level your (other) is currently trying to attain. Since every member is always qualifying for the status for the following year, and since there status is currently based only on your nomination of (them) as your Million Mile companion, (other) isn't guaranteed any status next year without qualifying. At this point, other has just over 7,000 Premier Qualifying Miles toward their status for 2015. Any Premier Qualifying Miles other purchases will be going to get other to the lower Premier levels (Premier Silver or Gold) which carry fewer benefits than Platinum or 1K. In essence, every itinerary that is offered Accelerator Miles is looked at individually based on multiple criteria that will in turn determine the amount being charged for the Premier Accelerator Miles.The choice in regards to posting the question online is completely up to you. Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help. Regards, UA MP Rep.

MY Follow Up Response:

Dear Mr. UA MP Rep.:

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply to my inquiry.

Your effort reflects an outstanding committment to Customer Service and it is refreshing to receive such outstandng attention. In years past I received special coupons to recognize United Employees for special efforts. Sadly, I did not receive such coupons as I did not recieve a 1K welcome package this year where such coupons are generally distributed. However, if I can formally recognize your prompt and outstanding service to United Management, please advise me accordingly.

None the less, I would greatly appreciate your efforts at elevating my concern to a higher level within United Airlines Marketing Organization.

Your response was clear and I now generally understand the PQM Pricing structure. However, I still remain jaded in my view of a Marketing Scheme in which your best and most profitable customers pay the highest rates for whatever promotion. This pricing practice does not appear to be exclusive to PQM Pricing. As an example, numerous UA 1K customers complain (on Flyertalk) that Upgrade Purchase Offers are much higher to 1Ks than general members. As I generally purchase Business Class tickets, I do not have direct experience with this, but I sense a twisted pricing practice where the best customers are offered higher prices than other passengers. This simply makes no sense.

Again your efforts at elevating this concern, and my proposed resolution, are most greatly appreciated.

Best Regards, Gpicur
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
We now have a letter telling us what everybody already knew.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Current offer (1K) on international itinerary:

30k RDM for $630 (2.1 cpm)
30k PQM for $4500 (15cpm + 2.1cpm)

YTD PQM have me at silver, with booked flight to put me into gold. Purchasing PQM would boost me to platinum.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
We now have a letter telling us what everybody already knew.
What we now know is that there is a method to their madness and not some intern being told to try to stay busy at the Accelerator Desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.