Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ContPlat
emcampbe, thanks. So, really, it is not a $10,000 spend for 1K, it is an average 10 cents per mile traveled.
...probably more like 11 CPM once you take out the taxes too
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I have looked and failed to find...

I book a nonrefundable fare for myself. Unfortunate circumstances arise and I cannot take the flight and my fare is not refunded. Will that money count towards the PQD.

Similarly, I do not recall seeing change fees and such. If a change fee is imposed and I take the flight, will the change fee be added to my pqd?
No to both questions.

You only earn PQDs on the airfare and the YQ surcharge of flown tickets. The only other fee that earns PQDs is the fee paid to buy-up to E+. If you change a ticket and the change results in a higher fare, you will earn PQDs for the higher fare but nothing is earned for the change fee.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
emcampbe, thanks. So, really, it is not a $10,000 spend for 1K, it is an average 10 cents per mile traveled.
It can be done with a lower cents per mile and higher mileage, such as 5 cents per mile of base fare + YQ + E+ for 200,000 miles.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sorry if this has been posted but it's still shown as a "specifically unanswered questions" up above. It appears you will still need to meet the PQD requirement to earn RPU/GPUs. My brother-in-law (waiver PP card) went over 76k miles on 2/11 and no RPUs were deposited. It lists him as a premiere platinum so the waiver worked because he was good last year.

BTW: his PQDs to date are about $4100 curious if it has been confirm that the PQDs are still required to earn the upgrades.

Last edited by Weez_1000; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Sorry if this has been posted but it's still shown as a "specifically unanswered questions" up above. It appears you will still need to meet the PQD requirement to earn RPU/GPUs. My brother-in-law (waiver PP card) went over 76k miles on 2/11 and no RPUs were deposited. It lists him as a premiere platinum so the waiver worked because he was good last year.

BTW: his PQDs to date are about $4100 curious if it has been confirm that the PQDs are still required to earn the upgrades.
Sometimes they just take a bit to deposit. A waiver is a waiver.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sometimes they just take a bit to deposit. A waiver is a waiver.
I hope you're right but the pessimist in me says that waiver is for status only and does not pertain to the upgrade instruments. We will see......
Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: free agent
I apologize for asking similar question, but what would happen to an individual if he or she move out of country sometime in this year (with all documents to prove). Assume he or she fly 100,000 miles with UA/*A before Dec 31 without meeting PQD requirement, will someone qualify for 2015 1K status? Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HHonors Diamond
Irrationality

From "thread" header:Thus:

◦The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
◦The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
◦The value of ETCs (or is it considered a discount from the fare?). (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include) -Note: the Mileage plus site indicates ETC's count towards PQD (12/16/13 imgonnafly)
◦The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
◦The cost of a paid upgrade..
◦An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
◦Change fees.
will not count toward PQD.

First of all, there are just too many posts to know if what I have said has already been said, so pardon any duplication

As much as I can understand the intent behind the addition of a PQD Requirement, I am having trouble stomaching the complete IRRATIONALITY of how it is being executed. While it is reasonable to exclude taxes (United doesn't receive them) the point of this seems to be to reward people who "pay" more. Therefore, EVERY DOLLAR United receives that can be attributed to a MP member SHOULD COUNT. Period.

The concept that spending $2000-$3000 on "Premier Accelerator" to get PQMs on international travel (just for the PQM part) DOESN'T count at all is infuriating. Indeed WHY would anyone do this (unless they met the PQD requirement but not the PQM one, likely rare)? So isn't United shooting itself in the foot by disincentivizing people from using the "Accelerator" (which previously had a meaningful "mutual" benefit)?

Also the fact that there is NO "waiver" for 1K status is baffling. Maybe $25K in spending is not high enough...it probably should be $50K...but the fact that there is NO opportunity is a disincentive for 1Ks to use the cards AT ALL (you only lose award miles, and that is probably trivial compared to what you earn flying).

The fact that United is willing to waive the $7500 qualifier for PLATINUM for spending $25K on a card suggests they make enough money on the card spending so they don't care). If a potential 1K spends ZERO on the card, they must lose something, particularly if that person COULD spend $50K or more.It just doesn't make sense.

They need to reconsider these things NOW so at least we can feel "Paying United" -- their apparent desire -- MATTERS. Otherwise this is all a farce.

If their "measurement of success" is to have halved the number of 1Ks in 12 months, they may succeed, but somehow the loss in revenue as those people stop concentrating on this carrier (since it will no longer matter) will ultimately hurt them (loyalty is a hard thing to earn back once lost).
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Putt86
I apologize for asking similar question, but what would happen to an individual if he or she move out of country sometime in this year (with all documents to prove). Assume he or she fly 100,000 miles with UA/*A before Dec 31 without meeting PQD requirement, will someone qualify for 2015 1K status? Thanks!
Any answer here will be speculation -- the released T&Cs, FAQs do not answer the situation and suspect UA understands this will be an area ripe for abuse. Where or not UA sees it as a big enough issue and how UA addresses your situation, we will need to wait until a practical case occurs.

My guess is for now it will be based on the address at the time of meeting the status threshold (perhaps with some minimum pre-non USA residency).
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by tester321

The concept that spending $2000-$3000 on "Premier Accelerator" to get PQMs on international travel (just for the PQM part) DOESN'T count at all is infuriating. Indeed WHY would anyone do this (unless they met the PQD requirement but not the PQM one, likely rare)? So isn't United shooting itself in the foot by disincentivizing people from using the "Accelerator" (which previously had a meaningful "mutual" benefit)?
I think you would be surprised, a few paid F tickets and you meet the PQD requirements pretty easy. I suspect more people fall into this category then you think. I would fall into this category several times. I typically meet the PQD requirements but the mileage was often an issue for me. I found myself taking MRs at the end of the year.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:12 am
RNE

I would fall into this category several times. I typically meet the PQD requirements but the mileage was often an issue for me.
Me too. I expect many people will continue to purchase PQMs. If sales soften, however, we'll likely see the going rate (now roughly at 10¢/PQM) drop.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I think you would be surprised, a few paid F tickets and you meet the PQD requirements pretty easy. I suspect more people fall into this category then you think.

Me too, though more from Y/B economy fares than paid F, but still a "more money than miles" situation; I average about 40-50 cpm (including taxes). Last year (when it didn't matter), I easily had $7500+ worth of qualifying spend (~18k including taxes), but only 77 PQS / 62,000 PQM.

So far this year (Jan 1-Feb 22) I'm sitting at $4,106 PQD but only 21 PQS / 19,002 PQM.

That said, it does seem a little funny that ancillary charges already associated with your MP account (The "accelerators", WiFi, buy ups, etc.) don't count
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
The strategy makes sense if viewed as part of a plan to protect the top tier, 1K, from low cpm spend customers and prevent buy ups. You will have to fly the 100k and spend the 12-15k to hit top tier.

Credit card churn and manufactured spend make waivers useless to protect top tier.

AA/US will allow you to buy up to top tier for a measly 2500 in comparison.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
AA/US will allow you to buy up to top tier for a measly 2500 in comparison.
For those looking for facts, ignore this last post :-:
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Population of people who pay for their own F tickets must be a tiny fraction of people who buy UA tickets in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.