Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:39 pm

Hello,

I know travelling in a premium cabin internationally gives you access the United Club. And as a Platinum member, flying coach internationally also give you access to the Club. Also, flying p.s. in United BusinessFirst from JFK – LAX/SFO gives you access to the Club.

My question: by that logic, as a Platinum member, does flying p.s. from JFK - SFO in United Economy Plus get me access to the United Club?

Maybe that's just wishful thinking...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, FlyingIke
Originally Posted by FlyingIke
... My question: by that logic, as a Platinum member, does flying p.s. from JFK - SFO in United Economy Plus get me access to the United Club? ...
no, it does not

Given the size of the JFK club, it could not handle additional passengers.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:29 pm

I just booked 2 first class tickets through United on US Air from OGG>CVG in 10/14. I don't currently have a United or US Air credit card - my question is, which one do I need to get to be entitled to free checked bags? I'm fine with the mileage bonus either one gives and should probably get the US Air one pre-merger anyway, but I'm not sure which one would matter in this case?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Fraggable
I just booked 2 first class tickets through United on US Air from OGG>CVG in 10/14. I don't currently have a United or US Air credit card - my question is, which one do I need to get to be entitled to free checked bags? I'm fine with the mileage bonus either one gives and should probably get the US Air one pre-merger anyway, but I'm not sure which one would matter in this case?
If travel is on US operated flights, US will determine the bag fees. By Oct 2014, US will have departure Star Alliance, so no UA or Star Alliance preqs will address US bag fees. If US / AA is likely to be your travel provide in the future, then because of that and any bag waive the credit card might provide (I'm not familiar with the US branded cards so you need to check that), it seems the US branded card makes the most sense,
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, FlyingIke
no, it does not

Given the size of the JFK club, it could not handle additional passengers.
Thanks for the answer! I couldn't find anything saying it was allowed so didn't get my hopes up. Thanks again for clarifying.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:54 pm

How likely is it that LH/UA will really make me play the 15-days-and-pray game?

I have one remaining segment to post, from the morning of the 31st, that will complete Gold for me. It would be really nice to have my status updated before I head off to Singapore in less than two weeks.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Feorlen
I have one remaining segment to post, from the morning of the 31st, that will complete Gold for me.
My LH miles posted in under a week.

If they don't I'd call to make sure you have status before that flight @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
I flew SFO-NRT December 31 to complete 1K for 2013. UA posted the miles January 1, saying that's when I landed, even though I landed December 31, USA time. Anyone had this experience? Is this really true? If I had flown to Europe, SA or anywhere not crossing the Date Line, this wouldn't have happened. UA 1K Res confirmed I'd get the miles for 2013 credit in September, when I booked, again in December when I confirmed.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by artvandalay
I flew SFO-NRT December 31 to complete 1K for 2013. UA posted the miles January 1, saying that's when I landed, even though I landed December 31, USA time. Anyone had this experience? Is this really true? If I had flown to Europe, SA or anywhere not crossing the Date Line, this wouldn't have happened. UA 1K Res confirmed I'd get the miles for 2013 credit in September, when I booked, again in December when I confirmed.
The key time is the scheduled departure from SFO (local time) of the flight, not the arrival time. Have never heard of this happening (Flight activity in Account details actually showing a different day then the flight). Call MPSC and get it straighten out but maybe wait till Monday so the East Coast mess settles down.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:55 pm

Anyone have experience with United taking back posted miles on request so they can be credited elsewhere?
I had a multi segment itinerary, forgot to remove my mileageplus number from the reservation, asked a gate agent to do it for me after the first flight, she promised it was completely removed, later noticed all 4 flights have credited to UA, I had planned to credit them to a different SA partner.
Any advice?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by SiPi
Anyone have experience with United taking back posted miles on request so they can be credited elsewhere? ....
You will need to contact MP Service Center, not reservations for this. Best to let the East Coast mess die down first.

This is one of the downsides about trying get UA benefits but crediting to another program -- really better to do yourself versus asking an agent.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:03 pm

Ok, i have no problem waiting, but will they do it for me? Have they done that before/ is it a big deal?
Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:04 pm

Ok, i have no problem waiting, but will they do it for me? Have they done that before/ is it a big deal?
Thanks
yes it can be done but there is no requirement to do it -- so you may need to try a second time.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:07 pm

Agent over the phone in MP Servicing Center or rather via request online?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:11 pm

Agent over the phone in MP Servicing Center or rather via request online?
I would go via the phone -- there is no specific online method for contacting MPSC that I am aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.