Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:53 pm

Upgrading to economy plus when economy is showing full

I am booked on a flight this week and its seat map shows that all economy seats are occupied. My wife and I have pre-selected seats in economy, but if I "unselect" those seats and do not choose a seat assignment, does that mean we will automatically be upgraded to economy plus at check-in?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
I am booked on a flight this week and its seat map shows that all economy seats are occupied. My wife and I have pre-selected seats in economy, but if I "unselect" those seats and do not choose a seat assignment, does that mean we will automatically be upgraded to economy plus at check-in?
It means that is a possibility. It is also possible Economy seats will open, and you'll both be in middle seats. It's a risk, basically. Of course, if you now only have middle seats, it's best to play the risk.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by aacharya
It means that is a possibility. It is also possible Economy seats will open, and you'll both be in middle seats. It's a risk, basically. Of course, if you now only have middle seats, it's best to play the risk.
Ditto this advice. I assume that you are not elite with UA, but just in case, remember that Silver has access at T-24 with one companion and Gold and above can select at any time with at least one companion (more if 1K/GS).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
Given Silver Elites (and companion) will be able to select E+ seats at check-in.
Given some in E- will decide to purchase E+ access.
Given some will change their plans or have misconnects in their travel.
All of the above will open up E- seats.
Also business travelers tend to book close to the day date and if they hold elite status, they will have immedaite access to E+ seats.

So situation for both E+ and E- will change by the time you get to the airport and you could be taking a chance of eventually being re-assigned into E- and potentially separated.

Also I am unaware of how you "unselect" seat assignments online.

BTW, some folks try this "free access" to E+ approach but declining to ever selecting a seat assignment. It has worked for some and it has resulted in a middle seat in the last row for others.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I am unaware of how you "unselect" seat assignments online.
I've never heard of that either.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I was flying out of FAR yesterday, which doesn't have Pre. But when I went I got to the front of the line, the TSA agent scanned my ticket and got the 3 beeps, he stamped EXPEDITED on my ticket and handed me a yellow card. The card notified me that I was allowed to keep my shoes and outer layers on, and to use the regular metal detector. I still had to take my laptop out (and I think my toiletries as well). Is this quasi-pre being expanded to all airports that don't have a dedicated Pre line?

Last edited by pinks; Jul 9, 2014 at 9:23 am
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinks
I was flying out of FAR (which as you would imagine, is a small airport), which doesn't have Pre. But when I went the TSA agent scanned my ticket and got the 3 beeps, he stamped EXPEDITED on my ticket and handed me a yellow card. The card allowed me to keep my shoes and outer layers on, and to use the regular metal detector. I still had to take my laptop out (and I think my toiletries as well). Is this quasi-pre being expanded to all airports that don't have a dedicated Pre line?
Not sure about "all" but PreCheck Lite is available at many airports (in general smaller airports but JFK is also this intermediate approach) and does seem to be expanding.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rs-2014-a.html
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pinks
stamped EXPEDITED on my ticket and handed me a yellow card. The card notified me that I was allowed to keep my shoes and outer layers on, and to use the regular metal detector. I still had to take my laptop out (and I think my toiletries as well). Is this quasi-pre being expanded to all airports that don't have a dedicated Pre line?
Not sure about "all" but PreCheck Lite is available at many airports (in general smaller airports but JFK is also this intermediate approach)
SAN Term 1 and 2 have Pre, but it's "Lite" in Commuter Terminal.

Then again, while DFW has Pre, at 4:30 a.m. on 4th they were in the "Lite" mode in Terminal E (UA side). At leasts I didn't have to go through Nud-O-Scan
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
On an award ticket, I know you can route to SE Asia via Europe, but is it possible to route to Europe via SE Asia? If not, will US=>SE Asia=>North Africa=>US work?

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by AJCU
On an award ticket, I know you can route to SE Asia via Europe, but is it possible to route to Europe via SE Asia? If not, will US=>SE Asia=>North Africa=>US work?

Thanks!
USA, Europe and SE Asia appears to no longer be a valid award routing.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...wards-new.html

Don't know about North Africa
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:28 pm
RJ1

I have an award ticket booked, with travel from TPE-SFO on BR in C, then connecting to a UA domestic flight in Y.

Upon arrival at SFO, can I access the United Club before my domestic Y flight?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
I have an award ticket booked, with travel from TPE-SFO on BR in C, then connecting to a UA domestic flight in Y.

Upon arrival at SFO, can I access the United Club before my domestic Y flight?
Unless you have a UC membership or *G status, no.
International business passengers can only access a *A departure lounge (which all UCs are) if departing that airport in international business/first. One exception is those on UA international business/first flights can access UCs at all airports on their same day itin. You might try the SFO BR lounge to see if they have the same exception.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:16 pm
RJ1

Unless you have a UC membership or *G status, no.
International business passengers can only access a *A departure lounge (which all UCs are) if departing that airport in international business/first. One exception is those on UA international business/first flights can access UCs at all airports on their same day itin. You might try the SFO BR lounge to see if they have the same exception.
Thanks.

Actually I do have *G (United Gold). In that case, would I be able to access the UC since the itinerary is international business flight, connecting to a domestic economy flight?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
.... Actually I do have *G (United Gold). In that case, would I be able to access the UC since the itinerary is international business flight, connecting to a domestic economy flight?
correct

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2012-13-a.html
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:32 am

GPU Partial confirmed?

I have a flight from SIN to SJC via HKG/ORD and IAH in 9 days. I have requested to use GPU to upgrade the flight UA896 SIN-HKG-ORD. The rest of them already instantly upgraded. So far, I only got confirmed the upgrade from UA896 SIN-HKG which is about 4 hours flight. But HKG-ORD isn't confirmed. How likely I can get upgraded for the 15 hours flight? If not get upgraded for UA896 from HKG to ORD, can I get the GPU deposit back to my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.