Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Beer/Wine Discontinued Jan 1, 2014 for transpacific/asia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Don't worry, UAI will come and let us know it's due to a "mutual agreement" with the liquor suppliers that they've jointly decided to remove them from complimentary status
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I assume the next announcement will be that they're charging for meals and snacks on overwater flights.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't worry, UAI will come and let us know it's due to a "mutual agreement" with the liquor suppliers that they've jointly decided to remove them from complimentary status
LMAO
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If they were to take the funds saved by removing free alcohol in Y and put it towards improving the purina dog chow that they call "food" this would be palatable. Strangely I don't think that is going to happen. $2 billion in savings never sounded so awful to this shareholder.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by manneca
Well, if they take expired coupons, I'll be fine.
I saw a lot of expired coupons used on my last TATL flight.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
If true, it just shows how out of touch they are with everything. While a drink here or there really doesn't matter, it's funny that they will be the only one charging for it. Industry leading in cuts
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
If they are going to charge, then offer something decent. The wine for purchase onboard is awful.

There is a liquor store in NJ that has half-bottles of an outstanding Malbec for $5.99. On Black Friday it was half-price. Surely an organization with UA's buying power can source decent small-format wine bottles. They can even charge more (that should get Smilesack smiling).
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by CopperSteve
If they are going to charge, then offer something decent. The wine for purchase onboard is awful.

There is a liquor store in NJ that has half-bottles of an outstanding Malbec for $5.99. On Black Friday it was half-price. Surely an organization with UA's buying power can source decent small-format wine bottles. They can even charge more (that should get Smilesack smiling).
5.99 in NJ? That's a rip off. They should just get 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's if they want to cheap out.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
how much further can the devaluation continue? i mean seriously...
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by xkr0p
how much further can the devaluation continue? i mean seriously...
there are many, many worse things that could happen...and probably will...
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

"Word on the street?" What street? Halfway down page 2 of this thread - surprised no one has asked about a source yet. So is there one?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
If true - just another straw. UA's only saving grace is E+. They better hold on to that as long as possible.
Well, I for one don't see the "advantage" of E+ the 747 and 787 both have 17" wide seats, dog food, no booze, and the 747 has no IFE. Its worse than non-competitive. Only the 777 is semi decent in E+

I can take DAL (VIA SEA) or I can take a real airline (Japanese or Korean) that has better seats AND a 33 or 34" pitch. Taking the family to ASIA, I just booked ANA, its a 777-300ER and the pitch is "34".

At this point UAL is just a bottom feeder airline.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sogboulder
I assume the next announcement will be that they're charging for meals and snacks on overwater flights.
I believe United did announce this at one point (it may have been premerger) and then ended it before it began because of the backlash.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081902859.html
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
big shocker here
Its shocking United did something opposite of Delta.

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by emcampbe
"Word on the street?" What street? Halfway down page 2 of this thread - surprised no one has asked about a source yet. So is there one?
Well, another source "fed" this post yesterday on the Y food thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21995672-post152.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.