Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Archive: Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Also note that while MEL-SIN and WLG-SIN (same flight) are both bookable in J, the WLG-MEL sector does not appear individually at all, even in Y. (The WLG-MEL sector does appear individually for other *A carriers, but not UA!)
That is indeed bizarre, as - at least from personal experience - this flight often has quite a few empty seats. As you've noted, I've never had trouble booking it separately with SQ or OZ miles (though perhaps not much of a loss when you have the option to do so, as both of those programmes charge 5,000 fewer miles each way in Y).
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Do Y award tickets booked on UA for SQ flights included luggage? I'm assuming yes but want to make sure. The United e-ticket shows 30KG is included but I never trust United receipts for baggage when checking in on other airlines.

PS - had no issues booking intra-Asia award tickets for cheap miles on SQ to/from SIN for October. All days appeared open.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Do Y award tickets booked on UA for SQ flights included luggage? I'm assuming yes but want to make sure. The United e-ticket shows 30KG is included but I never trust United receipts for baggage when checking in on other airlines.

PS - had no issues booking intra-Asia award tickets for cheap miles on SQ to/from SIN for October. All days appeared open.

Thanks,
-RM
Yes, no issues with luggage and it will be 30K in Y. SQ is generous with luggage.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
SQ long haul awards in Biz ever available?

I know they took them away a while back. I know they don't appear online. Are they ever available over the phone?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avi8tir
I know they took them away a while back. I know they don't appear online. Are they ever available over the phone?
All available SQ inventory can be booked on the website. In general, SQ almost never releases partner award space on long-haul J. I was able to grab some when they opened it up briefly about a year ago, so I won't say "never," but I wouldn't waste a lot of time searching or calling.

(FWIW, the SQ A359 quickly became my least favorite J seat in the sky).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:38 pm

SQ J really doesn't deserve Unicorn treatment anymore since there are other Asian carriers with Business Class as good, if not better than SQ (e.g., Eva Air).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You can book them with AS miles or LH miles for example and of course SQ miles which you can get via Amex MR transfer. Else it is the same restrictions, no change for redemption with UA miles
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have had success booking SQ J in other routes such as SIN-Melbourne if it is considered as long haul.

it seems availabilities on JV airlines partners are better than JV partners.

Interestingly, I have heard (not confirmed), UA does not make all award spaces available to some of its partners.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have had success booking SQ J in other routes such as SIN-Melbourne if it is considered as long haul.

it seems availabilities on JV airlines partners are better than JV partners.

Interestingly, I have heard (not confirmed), UA does not make all award spaces available to some of its partners.
I believe the longest SQ flight with routine availability is SIN-IST, anything shorter than that is good odds (and that includes Oceania and most of Asia, but no Europe or NA)

JNB/CPT is a hit or miss depending on what foot SQ got out of bed with.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by avi8tir
We got two J tickets for the EWR-SIN flight for next month, and then the next day, on the SIN-AKL flight.
These were made less than 2 months ago, using Amex MR points.

GC
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
We got two J tickets for the EWR-SIN flight for next month, and then the next day, on the SIN-AKL flight.
These were made less than 2 months ago, using Amex MR points.

GC
Amex MR points are cash tickets so not really applicable to what the OP had in mind, probably.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Amex MR points are cash tickets so not really applicable to what the OP had in mind, probably.
What do you mean, "cash tickets"?

We've never used any points to get "cash", regardless of target purchase. The serious value to us of airline awards & Amex MR points is for international J and F, usually by transferring points to an airline partner (not by "cashing in the points").

These points were, as suggested above, transferred to a "partner airline", and then we got the SQ tickets. I don't consider that to be "cash".
How would this be any different than using AAdv points to get CX tickets, or - again - using MR points to get LH tickets? It's still transferring points to a partner.

GC
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many

We've never used any points to get "cash", regardless of target purchase. The serious value to us of airline awards & Amex MR points is for international J and F, usually by transferring points to an airline partner (not by "cashing in the points").

These points were, as suggested above, transferred to a "partner airline", and then we got the SQ tickets. I don't consider that to be "cash".
How would this be any different than using AAdv points to get CX tickets, or - again - using MR points to get LH tickets? It's still transferring points to a partner.

GC
Was the "partner" airline you transferred to Singapore? You didn't move MR to UA since they aren't a transfer partner, and the question was about using UA miles to book longhaul SQ J, so your experience has nothing to do with the question asked.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GC
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Was the "partner" airline you transferred to Singapore? You didn't move MR to UA since they aren't a transfer partner, and the question was about using UA miles to book longhaul SQ J, so your experience has nothing to do with the question asked.
What GetSetJet said.

Either you purchased the ticket with MR miles outright (and then they'd be quasi-cash tickets as AMEX buys the tickets cash and you just pay with MR points) or you, most likely, transferred them to KrisFlyer - in both of these cases that'd not be relevant to the OP who's trying to purchase a partner mileage award, and neither of the two scenarios outlined are partner award.

(SQ makes more flights available to be bought with KrisFlyer miles than with partner miles).

If you transferred them to an SQ partner airline and bought a partner award flight that way then that's a rarity and congratz, especially for EWR-SIN!
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
(FWIW, the SQ A359 quickly became my least favorite J seat in the sky).
Take the 787-10 in Polaris and report back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.