Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Thumbs down Amex VS. united Club Lounges

Is there a thread on this anywhere? I really have to say how great the Amex lounges are compared with the domestic UA lounges. Additionally the UA international lounges also beat the UA domestic lounges. If there is a lounge thread I would love to vent on some other things as well.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The SFO centurion lounge is far superior to any united club I've been to.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
The SFO centurion lounge is far superior to any united club I've been to.
There is obviously no comparison between the two. However if AMEX had the amount of clubs of UA does people would be switching over in droves.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
There is obviously no comparison between the two. However if AMEX had the amount of clubs of UA does people would be switching over in droves.
+1 There is no comparison, but AMEX does not have many lounges and several they have are hard to access as a UA traveler (MIA, DFW)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Lifetime United Gold and 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Marriott and SPG Platinum , AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 There is no comparison, but AMEX does not have many lounges and several they have are hard to access as a UA traveler (MIA, DFW)
Where is the DFW lounge? The UA one by the gates sucks. Donut holes for breakfast and I hate the little coffee creamers. Can't someone put out milk out again?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Good thing they are opening new ones like SEA and I hear EWR but @terminal 2

Let's as not forget the lounges @ the javitz and las Vegas convention centers, but they need to fix the food and drink offerings at those

I guess revenge is a dish best served cold
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by TheMan
Where is the DFW lounge? The UA one by the gates sucks. Donut holes for breakfast and I hate the little coffee creamers. Can't someone put out milk out again?
The DFW Amex lounge is in Terminal D over by Gate 17. It's a little buried in the shops and restaurants at that end of the terminal up on the second floor but is served by a dedicated escalator. I was there on Tuesday evening and it was superb, great food, plenty of free drinks , etc. It also has real milk for your coffee.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Have been told by two AX club managers that they are looking for space at ORD.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Perhaps not technically a UA lounge, but the *A in Bradly/LAX is as nice as they come.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
While acknowledging that UCs fka RCCs are crap, what is so great about Amex? And don't forget the inconvenience of switching terminals, which sometimes requires an additional security checkpoint.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by Billiken
Have been told by two AX club managers that they are looking for space at ORD.
When that happens I won't be able to cancel my UC membership fast enough.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:07 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Boraxo
While acknowledging that UCs fka RCCs are crap, what is so great about Amex? And don't forget the inconvenience of switching terminals, which sometimes requires an additional security checkpoint.
Have you been to an Amex lounge yet? Where can I start? First, no charge for ANY liquor or wine at the bar. SFO has a 14 wine tasting vending machine with some high end local wines for free. Chefs prepare food in an open kitchen with a constantly changing menu. Last time I was there they had short ribs and when that finished they put out honey friend chicken(which was spectacular) and mashed potatoes, string beans, salads, breads and a number of deserts, which kept changing as well. Much more lively environment and contemporary design. I think they misjudged the capacity because it will need to grow ASAP. More to tell but you should try it for yourself with an Amex Platinum Business card or better. Let's also not forget that the Amex Plat Bus gives you $200/year to spend on flight ancillary expenses like club day passes, luggage, food on the plane or drinks, etc. so the card ends up being much less expensive than the presidential plus car.

More?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Much more lively environment and contemporary design. I think they misjudged the capacity because it will need to grow ASAP.
I think capacity is, or at least will be, a major problem for them. I took a tour of the SFO club and it seemed very modern and nice as you describe. However, it was packed to the gills in the late morning when I visited.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:36 pm

They also chose a great spot - where a UA club SHOULDVE been, by the international gates.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
They also chose a great spot - where a UA club SHOULDVE been, by the international gates.
There is an UC, even closer to the SFO International gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.