FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1530117-american-express-ax-centurion-lounge-sfo-iah-iah-opened-jun-24-2016-term-d.html)

monserco1 Dec 11, 2013 3:14 pm

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Visiting the Centurion Lounge in Vegas over the weekend led me to seriously think about allowing my United Club membership to expire.

Benefits there include complimentary buffet, drinks, wifi, updated lounge spaces, conference rooms, shower suite, clean bathrooms, even a spa in DFW! Entrance is free for Amex Platinum members who pay $495 a year for lounge access, priority pass select access and a whole litany of other perks.

Compare that to United Club that offers small snacks, limited complimentary bar, wifi - all for approximately the same price but without other travel perks.

A friend cheekily tweeted UA to see if they thought they should keep their United Club membership given they are based out of SFO and Amex will be opening a new lounge in the United terminal. Here is what they wrote: "We think so: complimentary internet access, agent assistance, conference rooms, and more."

I'm curious what you all think about their (generic IMO) response and if anyone else is leaving their membership behind. And overall, how do we get United to stop being so complacent and be an innovator instead???

WineCountryUA Dec 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Some discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...than-t2-2.html

If the Centurion is outside of security, that will limit it value even with PreCheck or Clear.

unavaca Dec 11, 2013 3:22 pm

IIRC, it's supposed to be post-security. Assuming it is, it's not really a competition; the Centurion lounge will stomp the UC.

LaserSailor Dec 11, 2013 3:27 pm

I haven't received my comp evaluation pass, so I can't comment yet..

raehl311 Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm

How many airports do you fly to with Centurion lounges?

I guess with *G it only matters in domestic locations, which for me would mainly be ORD, IAH, IAD, EWR and LAX.

What is centurion's policy on guests?

monserco1 Dec 11, 2013 3:34 pm

They're currently at DFW and LAS with SFO and LGA coming soon. I'd imagine they're going after the high volume business traveler airports first.

You can bring up to 2 guests with you.

nnn Dec 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Some discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-f...e-located.html

bigbellytraveler Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm

I hope 3rd party lounges make united up their game a bit. its kinda sad to see it degrade to what it is.

mgcsinc Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by monserco1 (Post 21949034)
Here is what they wrote: "We think so: complimentary internet access, agent assistance, conference rooms, and more."

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

BayAreaTraveler Dec 11, 2013 3:45 pm

How could they forget about the legendary carrot sticks and the ranch dipping sauce? To me that's a no brainer.

monserco1 Dec 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler (Post 21949211)
How could they forget about the legendary carrot sticks and the ranch dipping sauce? To me that's a no brainer.

And the yogurt-covered raisins!

The UC in T3 has some of the nicest staff, don't get me wrong. Carol who mans the evening bar shift had a pained look the first time she had to tell me that Sierra Nevada was no longer complimentary. I imagine she had a rough month with her regulars when UA switched their bar policy.

I don't think the airline really bothers to listen to the travelers that they're trying to get business from.

gobluetwo Dec 11, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311 (Post 21949133)
How many airports do you fly to with Centurion lounges?

I guess with *G it only matters in domestic locations, which for me would mainly be ORD, IAH, IAD, EWR and LAX.

What is centurion's policy on guests?

Agree. The Centurion Lounges that exist (or will exist) will surely be a no brainer compared to the United Clubs. However, if you travel domestically with any frequency and value being able to spend time in a lounge (for those myriad locations without a Centurion Lounge), you still may want that UC membership.

IADFlyer123 Dec 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by monserco1 (Post 21949034)
Visiting the Centurion Lounge in Vegas over the weekend led me to seriously think about allowing my United Club membership to expire.

Benefits there include complimentary buffet, drinks, wifi, updated lounge spaces, conference rooms, shower suite, clean bathrooms, even a spa in DFW! Entrance is free for Amex Platinum members who pay $495 a year for lounge access, priority pass select access and a whole litany of other perks.

Compare that to United Club that offers small snacks, limited complimentary bar, wifi - all for approximately the same price but without other travel perks.

A friend cheekily tweeted UA to see if they thought they should keep their United Club membership given they are based out of SFO and Amex will be opening a new lounge in the United terminal. Here is what they wrote: "We think so: complimentary internet access, agent assistance, conference rooms, and more."

I'm curious what you all think about their (generic IMO) response and if anyone else is leaving their membership behind. And overall, how do we get United to stop being so complacent and be an innovator instead???

KanKan!

cfischer Dec 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 21949080)
IIRC, it's supposed to be post-security. Assuming it is, it's not really a competition; the Centurion lounge will stomp the UC.

Nice! Any word when it will open?

unavaca Dec 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 21949475)
Nice! Any word when it will open?

The latest news I've heard is Summer 2014. http://thebat-sf.com/2013/10/21/two-...es-coming-sfo/