Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express AX Centurion Lounge at SFO & IAH (IAH Opened Jun 24, 2016 @ Term D)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's not even close to a fair comparison to be putting ALL united clubs against the very few centurion lounges. When there is a centurion lounge in every airport, then I'm sure they'll start worrying about it.

What does make sense would be for UA to build some flagship domestic lounges with similar amenities, but they probably view the GFLs in that way. There are a couple of pretty nice lounges, though - ORD T2 is very nice, and IAH E terminal is huge, and LAS is pretty cool. But not one of those on the level of a Centurion lounge.

The biggest thing I could hope for is that they'd refresh the lounges, as most are pretty tired and worn. UA seems to be going to the cool white/blue theme as evidenced by ORD T2 and the many of the gate setups across the system. Hopefully, they have a plan to update the clubs and offerings to stay competitive.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
What does UA do with the GF Lounges when they eventually eliminate GF service?

Last edited by cova; Jan 8, 2015 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cova
What does UA do with the GF Lounges when they eventually eliminate GF service?
GS sanctuary to get away from lowly Premiers?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:16 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The RCC was better than the UC before carriers exited/merged. You have it backwards. Force the four major carriers to divest and create 12 carriers. Kill the joint ventures. Then everything will improve.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Exactly. The mergers should never have been allowed. Their aftermath has been higher fares and costs, worse service, and fewer benefits, especially from United, in both lounge offerings and elsewhere.
Sorry but I think these are both wrong. The US air travel market is not a market that operates on the principle that more competition = better airlines rise to the top and take all the business. Despite our small subculture here, most customers really do not choose who to fly / care based on quality of service until it gets really bad (e.g. Spirit-level bad). And creating this level of competition (and ok, other services) so that you get slightly better airport lounges would be a horrible decision.

The airline industry in the US is so crowded and overcapacity that I'm sure you have observed that in full competition mode and price warring, airlines go bust and bankrupt and lay off thousands of workers regardless of how wonderful their service is.

Now it is not guaranteed that consolidation will lead to better service, but in the long run the opposite is true -- more competition in this already thin business will lead to worse effects: no service.

Last edited by TA; Jan 8, 2015 at 11:35 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by Billiken
Two different Centurion Lounge managers have told me that AX is looking for lounge space at ORD.
Snipped from a recent memo to Centurion Lounge managers:

Should a customer ask you about a Centurion lounge being placed at airport XXX, your response shall be, "Actually, XXX is currently being looked at for a location...".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
What does make sense would be for UA to build some flagship domestic lounges with similar amenities, but they probably view the GFLs in that way. There are a couple of pretty nice lounges, though - ORD T2 is very nice, and IAH E terminal is huge, and LAS is pretty cool. But not one of those on the level of a Centurion lounge.

The biggest thing I could hope for is that they'd refresh the lounges, as most are pretty tired and worn. UA seems to be going to the cool white/blue theme as evidenced by ORD T2 and the many of the gate setups across the system. Hopefully, they have a plan to update the clubs and offerings to stay competitive.
I've only been to the GLF at SFO once so I don't have much of a comparison but I was rather underwhelmed. It felt very much like the UC in Terminal G but with slightly nicer seating and decent food/wine/booze selection. Centurion Lounge at SFO > GLF at SFO > UCs at SFO.

United did mention in a PR that a refresh of the UCs is in the works, but not sure really what the details are -- they were rather sparse in that language.

The UC at LAS is only nice/interesting because of the view. Fortunately there's a Centurion lounge there
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's not even close to a fair comparison to be putting ALL united clubs against the very few centurion lounges. When there is a centurion lounge in every airport, then I'm sure they'll start worrying about it.
DFW, LGA, SEA, LAS? These centurions are not even a threat to UA Clubs at all.

So, one centurion. SFO. (which I really like, by the way)

I don't think UA is concerned, and the last time I checked in to the club, the lady at the front said 'UA has been sending us a lot of customers'.

Is UA giving away one time passes to the centurion at SFO?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Centurion Lounge at SFO > GLF at SFO > UCs at SFO.
I stopped in at the Centurion lounge at SFO a couple weeks ago and asked for a "tour". Nice layout and everything seemed brand new (which it was), but kind of small and quite crowded - virtually every seat was taken mid-morning. At least I can always get a seat at the UCs - even if the food offerings are virtually non-existent.

So, my advice to others before shelling out the $$ for an Amex card is to visit your own Centurion lounge on a weekday and check it out.

A bit OT, but I'd also like to report that the Wifi speed I measured at the SFO main UC was the highest I've ever recorded outside of work: almost 70Mbps up and down speeds, using speedtest.net.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
My links say both are $450 per year.

"Bunker of despair".

The RCC was better than the UC before carriers exited/merged. You have it backwards. Force the four major carriers to divest and create 12 carriers. Kill the joint ventures. Then everything will improve.
Yes, let's go back to highly leveraged carriers operating on razor-thin margins constantly teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. But don't worry, the government will just bail them out in the next recession (ala GM/Chrysler) because it has been declared there must minimally be 12 legacy style carriers for all time.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
DFW, LGA, SEA, LAS? These centurions are not even a threat to UA Clubs at all.

So, one centurion. SFO. (which I really like, by the way)

I don't think UA is concerned, and the last time I checked in to the club, the lady at the front said 'UA has been sending us a lot of customers'.

Is UA giving away one time passes to the centurion at SFO?
I'm thinking the lady meant one of two things, both of which are detrimental to UA.

1) The people working in the UA lounge are recommending their passengers go to Centurion instead, as it is much nicer and has faster internet.

2) Fed up UA PAX are going to Centurion instead. I mean, the natural customer for that lounge will be a UA passenger, as that terminal is UA only.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Amex currently charges $50 per visit for any Amex CardMembers (Green, Gold, etc) to their Centurion lounges. Only Centurion and Platinum CardMembers are given free access. Given that the lounges are already regularly filling up, it seems to me they will begin charging Platinums a fee per visit sometime soon.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Amex currently charges $50 per visit for any Amex CardMembers (Green, Gold, etc) to their Centurion lounges. Only Centurion and Platinum CardMembers are given free access. Given that the lounges are already regularly filling up, it seems to me they will begin charging Platinums a fee per visit sometime soon.
That would massively defeat the Plat card value proposition
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That would massively defeat the Plat card value proposition
Agreed, but that's the whole point. If the "Value" received exceeds the amount the customer pays (annual fee) the issuer loses money. At least for customers who use the lounge frequently.

Another possibility might be, say, two free visits per Platinum CardMember per year after which each visit is charged.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Agreed, but that's the whole point. If the "Value" received exceeds the amount the customer pays (annual fee) the issuer loses money. At least for customers who use the lounge frequently.
The customer won't enter (or at least won't repeat) a transaction if the value he receives is lower than what he pays. Businesses need to provide a value proposition to customers, otherwise customers won't buy.

I think what you're trying to say is that if customers cost more than what a business gets in revenue, then they lose money. This is of course true, but a different issue than the above.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

Another possibility might be, say, two free visits per Platinum CardMember per year after which each visit is charged.
Not going to happen. AMEX is doing everything it can to shore up the devaluations that have occurred due to airline mergers and closer relationship with other card companies. That is why the Centurion Lounges are being built in the first place. If they started charging, they would certainly lose a bunch of people who are already probably wary about the fact that they don't have AA and US access anymore. Indeed, I initially upgraded to AMEX Plat in order to get access to AA lounges after I took my business to AA. Formerly, CO people could also get in to CO lounges with it. That was dropped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.