Search

UA Status to Enroll HKG e-channel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
UA Status to Enroll HKG e-channel

Hi All,

There is a lot of conflicting, out-dated, and unclear info about enrolling in the HKG e-channel scheme now that the HKIA Frequent Traveler Card is no longer being offered.

Can anyone confirm if they have been able to use UA FF Status to enroll in the e-channel program? Please no "if you visit x times..." and other answers. I'd really appreciate hearing from someone who has actually used UA FF Status to do this. There have been a few threads here and here and articles on this, but some are old or have no clear answer to this specific question.

I contacted 1K Voice, and got this reply:
Thank you for contacting United Customer Care. We appreciate your inquiry. As of this time, United has no relationship or affiliation with the e-channel Program. You are a valued Premier 1K and we thank you for your business and loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you on a future United flight.
Since there are sources indicating that UA status might be used and I've never known 1K to send incorrect information, thought I'd ask here.

My old HKIAFV card expired. I've only gone once this year, and with a trip in December....want to get "activated."

Thanks in advance to all,
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Treo 650: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; Nexus 4 Build/JWR66Y) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I used UA status to apply for e-channel last year. Bring your 1K card as they ask for it.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS & Million Mile, AA EXP, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Hertz Plat/PC
I was granted e-channel about 4 weeks ago with my UA GS card.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:43 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
My old HKIAFV card expired.
Cards expiring between April 2012 and February 2014 are valid for 3 years past their expiration date per the HKIA website. I don't know if this applies to you.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I used my 1K card to register with e-channel a few months ago. My guess is that HKG runs the program without UA's involvement (as they do it for just about anyone with any elite status), so 1KVoice is unaware of it.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Does UA lower status (gold or silver) also grant you HKG e-channel?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Is the "3 visits in 1 year" requirement waived if you have FF status? Didn't see that mentioned in the links above...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Can enroll 3 visits OR FF program

Originally Posted by Ari
Cards expiring between April 2012 and February 2014 are valid for 3 years past their expiration date per the HKIA website. I don't know if this applies to you.
Regrettably, mine expired in October 2011.

Thanks to all!

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Is the "3 visits in 1 year" requirement waived if you have FF status? Didn't see that mentioned in the links above...
Yes, that is my understanding from the HKIA website. You can see the section here. The key is that the requirements are listed as:
Age > 18 AND Valid Travel Document AND FF Card
OR
Have made 3 visits in the past 12 months
My reading of this is that the FF program is alone enough, as long as your airline participates, and this is where the info was murky, hence my post. As for Elite level, this to me is also murky. Hope someone that has UA Elite Status and is Gold or Silver can share insights. For me, I'm fortunately 1K, and thanks to an earlier reply, seems that will work.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Does UA lower status (gold or silver) also grant you HKG e-channel?
When I did my enrollment, they had a sheet with examples of all of UA's frequent flier cards, and it indicated that any elite status (including Silver) granted access to the HKG e-channel. Not sure if that has changed since I enrolled.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by Sykes
When I did my enrollment, they had a sheet with examples of all of UA's frequent flier cards, and it indicated that any elite status (including Silver) granted access to the HKG e-channel. Not sure if that has changed since I enrolled.
Thanks, I never knew that. Will definitely stop by HKG for that in the near future! ^
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Thanks, I never knew that. Will definitely stop by HKG for that in the near future! ^
+1 ^ Thanks for sharing, folks!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
That was my experience as well. Any UA Premier status (but perhaps not basic membership level) will qualify, and having UA Premier status waives the "3 visits in 1 year" requirement. In my case, they definitely looked closely at my UA FF card, and compared it with a binder full of examples of qualifying cards to verify that it qualified.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I have had my passport registered on some HK e channel for the last year. I never paid nor did I have to show my 1K status. It works at the ferry and LoHu train station as well. I picked it up as soon as I passed immigration at the airport.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Same here... it was a very simple process and I can't even express how nice it has been to use when entering or exiting HK!

One other thing to point out is when I originally got mine (last year around this time). I asked how long it was good for and they said six months. Well... I just used it multiple times in September without any issues and without having to renew it, so I wonder how long it will last before I really do have to renew it.

My plan is to keep using it until it stops working.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: United Gold, Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing...I go to HK a few times a year and didn't know about this "benefit"...will definitely try it next time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.