Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Status to Enroll HKG e-channel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JDS747
One other thing to point out is when I originally got mine (last year around this time). I asked how long it was good for and they said six months. Well... I just used it multiple times in September without any issues and without having to renew it, so I wonder how long it will last before I really do have to renew it.
When I got mine in June 2012, they said it was good indefinitely. They said I would have to bring both my old and new passports to get the sticker moved over at that time, but that's about it. ^
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
In my case it was unavoidable - the office at the end I used was closed, and it appeared there was no way to stay inside the immigration area and get to the other end - the guard told me to go in the sliding door further down, which I did and wasn't given any trouble.
I did the same thing. No problem at all.

Were you able to use e-channel on your expired passport on the trip you renewed e-channel (i.e., could you go through the e-channel using the barcode on your expired passport)?
Yes. Funny thing was that I went through, renewed my participation in the program at the office (during which my passport information was updated in the computer), but my new sticker on my new passport wouldn't work to depart HKG since I had entered on another passport. The update must be a different system of some sort.

So I had to go through regular emmigration, which is a whole lot better than the immigration lines.

Would have been easier if they had just left the enrollment office before immigration as it was before.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
my new sticker on my new passport wouldn't work to depart HKG since I had entered on another passport. The update must be a different system of some sort.
That sounds like not an e-channel thing so much as an immigration thing (i.e., no record you entered the country).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
That sounds like not an e-channel thing so much as an immigration thing (i.e., no record you entered the country).
No idea. I would just assume that when they updated the computer with my new passport, it would then allow me to leave the country on it, but no.

Even manually, it took a few minutes for them to resolve it.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, CX G, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott TTN
E-Channel Application Today

thanks for alerting me to this. I flew into HKG today and applied for this and was talking to the guy. So any UA status (Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K of course) will do this. Also saw elite KrisFlyer status should do the trick. The e-channel access is good for the life of your document, and can be renewed (from what others noted 5-6 months prior to expiration), then can be used at any land, sea, or air entry.

the process took a bit longer than 5 minutes, but the 3 visit requirement (if you don't have status) is only met by entering HKG via the airport, not through ferry or land access points
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
No idea. I would just assume that when they updated the computer with my new passport, it would then allow me to leave the country on it, but no.

Even manually, it took a few minutes for them to resolve it.
I'm flying to HKG with 8pm arrival time and want to apply.

Is the e-channel office still open at that time?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:11 am

As of January 9th of this year:

Our Enrolment Offices are located at the Arrival Hall North and South
after the immigration check at the Hong Kong International Airport,
opening daily from 1000 to 1800 hours and 0730 to 2300
hours respectively.

For more details about Frequent Visitor e-Channel, please visit our
Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cjwong88
thanks for alerting me to this. I flew into HKG today and applied for this and was talking to the guy. So any UA status (Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K of course) will do this. Also saw elite KrisFlyer status should do the trick. The e-channel access is good for the life of your document, and can be renewed (from what others noted 5-6 months prior to expiration), then can be used at any land, sea, or air entry.
Just a head's up...

E-channel is also accepted at some locations traveling between Hong Kong and going to/from the mainland. Huge timesaver for SZX by train but not yet set up for CAN.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
As of January 9th of this year:
Thanks. Will try that next March.

I've made 20+ trips to HKG since 2006 but never thought about this e-channel.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by kb1992
I'm flying to HKG with 8pm arrival time and want to apply.

Is the e-channel office still open at that time?
There are two offices, but only one is likely to be open at that time. I was told to go out door and come back in the one further to the right (as you exit). Worked out fine.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Hi All,

Just wanted to report that I received a nice phone call from a UA rep in Chicago. She was very kind to tell me: UA contacted the team in HKG and confirmed that any UA Elite Level Silver and above will meet the requirement.

So, if you don't have 3 visits in a 12-month period, but you are over 18yrs of age and are Silver or higher, you can apply for the eChannel at HKG.

Happy travels to HKG or wherever you're headed!

Last edited by USHPNWDLUA; Mar 24, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's right behind the immigration counters after you go through passport control. It does have a sign, though not a large one, you do have to look for it. Do not go through the sliding doors to baggage claim/customs.

It is indeed done on the spot, takes about 5 minutes from sitting down and handing over your stuff to walking out with the sticker on your passport. There was some form to fill out, though it's minimal.
Just an update. No paper form to fill out. They just scan your passport to get all the info. Got mine last week.:-)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Did it today. Just showed my ua card and passport and it took like 5 mins. They fingerprinted me and took my photo no paperwork just had to sign something that said the barcode matched
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
And I did it on Saturday. No wait for the agent, and done in three minutes.

I used the e-Channel to exit this morning, and it was fast and simple.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been using e-channel for the last four years and it is coming to my fifth year.....

Does anyone know if it has a five year expiration period or it expires on the same date as the passport expiration date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.