Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Status to Enroll HKG e-channel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I was never advised of an expiration date, but I renewed my passport so had to renew E-Channel at that time.

I was not asked for a frequent flier card on renewal. They took the sticker off the old passport, threw it away, and put a new one on my new passport.

The only change I don't like is that the office is now after immigration than before, as it used to be. Rather silly.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JDS747
I asked how long it was good for and they said six months..
I think others have reported that it's valid until 6 months before your passport's expiration, not 6 months from enrollment.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
My guess is that HKG runs the program without UA's involvement (as they do it for just about anyone with any elite status), so 1KVoice is unaware of it.
Or possibly ignorance on the part of the 1K voice agent.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
What is the application procedure? Dies one fill out a paper form at the e-channel office at the airport and get approval right at the spot?

When looking for the application office at the airport, does it actually say e-channel office or something else?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
I think others have reported that it's valid until 6 months before your passport's expiration, not 6 months from enrollment.
Mine worked 5-months before expiration.

Actually, the passport had been replaced, but the cancellation punches didn't affect the HKG sticker so it still worked to get me through immigration so I could renew.

Originally Posted by lax2010
What is the application procedure? Dies one fill out a paper form at the e-channel office at the airport and get approval right at the spot?

When looking for the application office at the airport, does it actually say e-channel office or something else?

Thanks!
There are two offices, both of which are after immigration. There is a small sign in front of each. Just ask the immigration officer as you go through immigration.

Although they are after the immigration booths, they are before you enter the baggage claim area so if you do through the pocket doors, you have gone too far.

You just need to bring your passport and your frequent flyer card.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Thanks!
It's right behind the immigration counters after you go through passport control. It does have a sign, though not a large one, you do have to look for it. Do not go through the sliding doors to baggage claim/customs.

It is indeed done on the spot, takes about 5 minutes from sitting down and handing over your stuff to walking out with the sticker on your passport. There was some form to fill out, though it's minimal.

I absolutely love having the access as entry/exit is so much smoother... especially at the land borders with China. Unfortunately the last couple of times I was with my SO and she wasn't eligible so had to wait for her anyway. We're back in January, she's both Premier now and will be her 3rd air entry in 12 months so finally can get sticker as well.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's right behind the immigration counters after you go through passport control. It does have a sign, though not a large one, you do have to look for it. Do not go through the sliding doors to baggage claim/customs.

It is indeed done on the spot, takes about 5 minutes from sitting down and handing over your stuff to walking out with the sticker on your passport. There was some form to fill out, though it's minimal.

I absolutely love having the access as entry/exit is so much smoother... especially at the land borders with China. Unfortunately the last couple of times I was with my SO and she wasn't eligible so had to wait for her anyway. We're back in January, she's both Premier now and will be her 3rd air entry in 12 months so finally can get sticker as well.
Thanks for the info. So what does one do with the sticker? Is that a machine readable sticker or does it allow one to use a special lane? Again, thanks!

Last edited by lax2010; Nov 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:08 am

Thanks for the info. So what does one do with the sticker? Is that a machine readable sticker or does it allow one to use a special lane? Again, thanks!
Machine readable bar code they place on the back cover of your passport.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Machine readable bar code they place on the back cover of your passport.
Great! Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Yes, it is a barcode that the e-channel system reads. According to the website for HKSAR immigration, the system will read the barcode to first authenticate your document. Then you step into the channel and have your enrolled fingerprint read. Then you get a slip printed from the system and you're on your way.

The GovHK Immigration page is here.
There is a good video on YouTube here.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Quote:

Yes, it is a barcode that the e-channel system reads.

It is worth noting that your the e-channels can read your passport as well. Just in case your barcode frays or comes off.

Last edited by kilo; Nov 21, 2013 at 5:26 am
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by kilo
It is worth noting that your the e-channels can read your passport as well. Just in case your barcode frays or comes off.
I wasn't aware of that; useful to know (so far the barcode has worked all the time without problem).
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Is the "3 visits in 1 year" requirement waived if you have FF status? Didn't see that mentioned in the links above...
They asked on the form, and gave the person in front of me a hard time, although perhaps she wasn't using FF card. I had put down 3 so it was a non-issue for me, but I'm not sure they would waive it. According to the website information it is either/or: ff card (or other docs) or 3+ visits.

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...nnel.htm#fvapc

Originally Posted by dvs7310
In my case it was unavoidable - the office at the end I used was closed, and it appeared there was no way to stay inside the immigration area and get to the other end - the guard told me to go in the sliding door further down, which I did and wasn't given any trouble.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I was never advised of an expiration date, but I renewed my passport so had to renew E-Channel at that time.

Were you able to use e-channel on your expired passport on the trip you renewed e-channel (i.e., could you go through the e-channel using the barcode on your expired passport)?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
ive done several entries and exits from air and boat at Hong Kong since summer 2011, of course just spread out enough not to hit 3 times in 1 year span. I wish i had realized this on my second visit (when I first hit 1K). So much time wasted for no reason
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:57 am

My UA Gold Status got it for my earlier this month when I enrolled. There were two people in front of me and I was still done in less than 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.