Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: United MM Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Emirates Gold, Qantas Silver
Originally Posted by ConfusedInJapan
Question: if you are an overseas MP member, what will you do?
I think it's time to forget the FF programme and just make decisions based on each airline's offering. There are a lot of international airlines out there that have a decent product, give good service, and generally give the impression that they appreciate your business. United is not one of these at the moment, although there are still some sporradic exceptions.

I made the mental jump about a year ago. For the past 17 years, I would have chosen United blindly and gone out of my way to fly on UA metal. This included many trips from SYD to Europe via SFO in order to chase status and the million miler level. What a chump I was-- as soon as I got there, UA devalued the benefit, and they're still doing so even 2 years later.

Now, I just choose based on convenience of routings, quality of the airline, and value for money.

It has been an eye opener. Globally at least, you have a very good chance of having a much better flight experience on airlines other than United. I think I always knew this in the back of my head, but I never really lived it until I stopped trying to steer business United's way.

It's a hard mental jump at first after all those years of loyaty, but this passes quickly, and you will find that travel can be quite pleasant on most overseas carriers.

I also think that in the end, the FF programmes will catch up one way or another. By shifting the focus to the actual travel experience and value for money, we're probably better off anyway by ending up much more diversified over time.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
You might want to take a look at this blog that is reporting AA has postponed an announcement scheduled for today until sometime next week. Might be worth waiting a few days to see what's up there. Lots of speculation.
I'd doubt others arent going to join in changes. There's a reason most of these programs look pretty similar!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I find I talk to a >150 biz travelers either in clubs, meetings, or FC before I find another person even aware of FT
It's about awareness of FF programs. It's far higher than awareness of FT.

I know lots of very frequent business travel types, and very few have no clue about FF programs, and even fewer still have no participation in FF programs. Most don't follow the programs closely enough, however, to really notice most of the devaulations that have hit them until it is too late and they've already been hit.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's been different prices for different partners, and it has almost certainly stayed that way even as UA has raised the price of miles sold to most (if not all) partners. There used to even be different pricing structures for the sale of miles that varied from partner to partner to some limited extent, but I'm not sure if that is still how it is done for this airline.

In the very best cases, miles/points actually deliver increased returns for customers and burning sooner than later actually results in sub-optimized outcomes for the consumer. Unfortunately, that's not all that common and to some degree it has and continues to require to know how to play this game much better than your average bear to do that. So indeed, the general refrain should be to refrain from hoarding miles/points ... especially when the management/owners of the "loyalty" program have been on a nasty, rapid trend of devaluing the benefits of "loyalty" with abandon.
Are you a Politician or something?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's about awareness of FF programs. It's far higher than awareness of FT.

I know lots of very frequent business travel types, and very few have no clue about FF programs, and even fewer still have no participation in FF programs. Most don't follow the programs closely enough, however, to really notice most of the devaulations that have hit them until it is too late and they've already been hit.
How do you notice a change if you were never aware of the existing program in the first place?

Many programs used to have better redemption rates before I was aware of them. (even programs I had points in!)

On Feb 1 2014, somebody who has heretofore never taken advantage of UA MP, will look at their miles and the award chart and say wow! look at the flights I can get for nothing for my xxxx miles!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However using that card you have forgone other potential rewards, such as cashback --- so there is a value/cost to those miles, they are far from free. I use 1 cpm as the cashback equivalent. Some cashback cards can be even better (up to 2,3, 5 % on selected purchases)
OK - so let's nit-pick on value/cost of these miles.
Say I had to spend $2000 (as I did on my recent UA business card) and got 50K miles. Even at the very highest cash back of 5% that would be only $100 (and more likely $10 or $20).
I got a J ticket with those 50K miles US-EU; can you get that for your $20 or even $100?
I know which card/option I will choose
And, as I had said before, these were all purchases I was OBLIGATED to make - thus to me these miles were free. I do not carry balances on my CCs to pay their exorbitant interest charges.
If there is a value/cost to these miles, as you say, I consider that to be so negligible as to be free.

Last edited by Paulchili; Nov 5, 2013 at 6:13 pm
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How do you notice a change if you were never aware of the existing program in the first place?

Many programs used to have better redemption rates before I was aware of them. (even programs I had points in!)

On Feb 1 2014, somebody who has heretofore never taken advantage of UA MP, will look at their miles and the award chart and say wow! look at the flights I can get for nothing for my xxxx miles!
Pretty sure GUWonder meant that because they're not aware of FT, they don't know the devaluation is going to hit. Right now, they know it costs 100k miles roundtrip US to Europe on any *A partner in J. Until they get an official communication from UA, they'll believe that. When is that announcement going to come? Already lots of saver seats have been taken by FT members because of the "advance notice" they got, so regular frequent flyers - who are well aware of the MP program - have less availability to choose from.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
does this mean that apart from changing the date if you keep departure and destination point same but change connection then the new mile price applies?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Aaron - if I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage reqs. or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?

Hi DWFI, Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
I am still a bit confused with this change, can someone clarify the following situation:

If I booked an award flight from NRT-FRA in ANA business class before Feb 1, 2014 using the existing rule/mile cost, for travel in March 2014, but later found out, at the last minute, within a day or two of my travel date, that a seat in LH first class for the same route (NRT-FRA) has opened up, what's the difference in terms of miles I should be paying?

For the current rule, IIRC, Business class from NRT-FRA is 62.5K saver, and First class is 80K. Do I just pay the additional 17.5K miles? Or what?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
Pretty sure GUWonder meant that because they're not aware of FT, they don't know the devaluation is going to hit. Right now, they know it costs 100k miles roundtrip US to Europe on any *A partner in J. Until they get an official communication from UA, they'll believe that. When is that announcement going to come? Already lots of saver seats have been taken by FT members because of the "advance notice" they got, so regular frequent flyers - who are well aware of the MP program - have less availability to choose from.
That makes more sense than my interpretation...

I am kind of surprised that UA has not sent out a communication to all MP members alerting them to this change.

Why should FT'ers and Milepointer's and blog readers be the only ones getting advance notice?

Last edited by LarkSFO; Nov 5, 2013 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
UAInsider, can you please clarify what will happen if there is a routing or airline change without changing the Origin/Destination?

Could that be done under the current award chart or would that require a reprice?
I'd bet a kidney on a re-price

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I didn't read all the replies, but has anyone mentioned the increases in 2006 and 2009? Come on people, we all knew this was coming. The partner increases were unexpected though. Oh well, you can't really blame United for wanting people to fly United. Remember when there was a 500 mile minimum earning?
UA mileage increase alone? Expected, not unreasonable

Continuing to try to drive a stake through the heart of *A with the two-tiered award chart? Not cool.

Originally Posted by flyhen
I am still a bit confused with this change, can someone clarify the following situation:

If I booked an award flight from NRT-FRA in ANA business class before Feb 1, 2014 using the existing rule/mile cost, for travel in March 2014, but later found out, at the last minute, within a day or two of my travel date, that a seat in LH first class for the same route (NRT-FRA) has opened up, what's the difference in terms of miles I should be paying?

For the current rule, IIRC, Business class from NRT-FRA is 62.5K saver, and First class is 80K. Do I just pay the additional 17.5K miles? Or what?
Dollars to donus, I bet you're paying the new, grossly inflated F pricing

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:29 pm

I am kind of surprised that UA has not sent out a communication to all MP members alerting them to this change.
I'm not.

"Dear Valued MileagePlus Member,

"We are sending you this email to inform you about the exciting upcoming changes to United Airline's MileagePlus Frequent Flyer Program. Beginning in February 2014, award travel to your favorite destinations will cost more miles than ever!"

There's no positive spin they can place on this chart devaluation, so why give casual members a warning that might cause them to cut back their spending with United, or flee to another program? Better to try to sneak the changes in under the table.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That makes more sense than my interpretation...

Why should FT'ers and Milepointer's and blog readers be the only ones getting advance notice?
I'm sure something like the following spin from Twitter would work, eh? After all, they'll still have great value!...

We will continue to have great value and options, with the most saver-award availability among U.S. global carriers.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
+1 here. Was mulling if I should complete my 30k AA EXP challenge - no mulling around now.

Bye bye PQD. Bye bye crappy lounges. Bye bye horrible redemption rates.
Hello dAArk side Being based in AUS, looking forward to the visits in the Amex Centurion lounge in DFW.
UA is remodeling its lounges and I actually like the new fresh look of the new lounges - SEA, ORD etc.

I like the AA lounges - but short of SFO - AA lounges are getting a bit tired.

Overall I like UA lounges better, except in LA, where UA is in much need of showers.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:46 pm
HGF

Programs: AA EXP
For those of you thinking about switching to AA, I created a spreadsheet that compares:
avg flight cost
avg mileage earning per flight
ease of travel (avg # of layovers)
dollar cost per redeemed flight at various status levels
elite status cost at various levels

I made a lot of assumptions based on my traveling habits, so may not be useful to many, but it does contain the mathematical equations I used to compare United to American. If anything, you could take just those equations and apply them to your travel habits if my travel habits don't fit yours. also note that some sections may be a little sloppy. I did not originally intend to distribute it.

edit: added a link to dropbox instead - https://www.dropbox.com/s/6pma2gyp66qadne/UAvsAA.xlsx

Last edited by HGF; Nov 5, 2013 at 9:16 pm
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am very happy that I used up the last of my miles to fly to Tanzania on Turkish C next summer so I don't have to worry about spending all of my miles before this massive dilution. I agree with many of the posters above re: Delta. After moving to NYC two years ago I switched my miles to Alaska and can fly out of JFK or LGA on DL or AA based on routing and price as opposed to having to deal with EWR. Over the past year of flying a lot of Delta, it is far ahead of where UA was, at least when I left it. The only thing that ever made it worth it was the ability to fly F on some great airlines. Now there is no reason to ever leave Alaska (until they ruin the CX F mileage plan to JNB)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.