Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:15 am

Booked this:

Changed to this:

Should LH F open up 14 days before departure JFK-FRA can I upgrade to F without the reprice as I already paid 67K for F JFK-FRA-KIX?. HUCA?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:40 am

Adding OJ

I have the following booked all in Economy:

SIN-ZRH (SQ) Stopover
ZRH-FRA-JFK-LAX (LH, UA) Destination
LAX-PEK (CA <24 hr stopover)
PEK-SIN (SQ)

I want to try and change my flight SIN-ZRH to SIN-LHR or SIN-ZHR-VIE but the agents keep reading notes put on my booking stating that it is a round trip (Atlantic+Pacific) or under the pretext OJ not allowed at SO. Anyone recently added an OJ at SO and did this trigger a reprice? Somehow I can also not change the flights online (is it because I have a SQ segment?) It is a pain to speak with agents who have no clue of the rules or who are bluntly not helpful

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
After the first change under one of the conditions above, can the reservation be changed again without being refared?

If so, can the subsequent change be of a different type?
(e.g., a change first to a new date/time, then after that a change to a different carrier (or different origin/destination) of the same new date?)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:02 am

Hi everyone,

The updated Saver and Standard Award mileage requirements are now in effect, and I have a few more details to share:

Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
From post No. 2588

BKK-KUL is not a good example because soon you will not be able to get to BKK on United. As a practical matter, for reasonable mileage amounts, you cannot get to many cities on UAL alone, including many cities in Europe, Asia, Africa, and SYD.

It says: Three times - "Cabin can't change." If you have a First Class award with two segments in in coach and one segment in Business, you cannot change cabin if the higher class opens up?

"Origin/Destination within the same regions" is ambiguous.

It would have been nice to have had the clarification one month ago. Bad service.

Last edited by BF263533; Feb 5, 2014 at 3:22 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:02 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
After the first change under one of the conditions above, can the reservation be changed again without being refared?

If so, can the subsequent change be of a different type?
(e.g., a change first to a new date/time, then after that a change to a different carrier (or different origin/destination) of the same new date?)
Why would that possibly work?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin

AA and oneworld.

[Schedule changes.] As they have always been. That is not a voluntary change.

Funny.
I guess AA and Oneworld is the best current alternative.

When I went from first to coach due to a schedule change, United treated a re-routing to get First Class as voluntary. Their philosophy: "You take whatever dog food we feed you."
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justsomeguy
I have an upcoming trip that was originally booked in November to SE Asia. The routing was AAA-BBB-CCC-DDD and then CCC-BBB-AAA. The routing includes United and 3 partners. DDD-CCC was not available originally, and I have checked every day since then. CCC and DDD are in the same region.

Today (Tuesday Feb 4) I looked and DDD-CCC was available! Of course it was one day after the devaluation. I called in and the CSR added the segment (on a partner airline). I was charged the change fee and ~$10 in taxes. She did put me on hold for about 25 minutes while she did everything. She asked for my united.com PIN and the amount of miles that I was originally charged, to which my reply was "I don't know."

The only troubling part is I did not receive a confirmation email. The overall cost under the flights on the reservation page now shows "COST: 0 miles and $4xx.xx in taxes/fees" whereas before it said "2xx,xxx miles and $4xx.xx" (My wife is also traveling) The receipt looks normal, updated, and correct. New ticket numbers were issued, which I have confirmed with the partner airlines.

I hope the reservation isn't hosed and we don't get stranded somewhere.
If the receipt shows new ticket numbers and new itinerary then you should be all set, in theory.

You can also do the following to make sure everything is in order.

1) Plug your ticket numbers on Saudi site - it would show the full details of your tickets if they are properly reissued. Plug your OLD ticket numbers on Saudi site - it would show the old tickets are now Exch/Reissue.

2) Call MP, using the phone tree and choose the option "Get Receipt" which I think it is on the 3rd layer of the phone maze. Then it would kick out the email to you.

Else you can also try to Add Email, then request receipt - it would also send you the updated receipt.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ual902
Should LH F open up 14 days before departure JFK-FRA can I upgrade to F without the reprice as I already paid 67K for F JFK-FRA-KIX?. HUCA?
You have a lot more problems than worrying about getting a seat in F out of JFK.

You are presently booked in business--not first.

Third, I don't think you have anything from FRA to KIX right now as it shows waitlisted for an F seat and waitlists are not allowed on partner awards.

I would be calling and at least trying to get a business seat from FRA to KIX. Right now, there is only Y available.

Did you not like the answers you received the first time you asked this same question?

I do not see F on this itinerary in your future.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Feb 5, 2014 at 5:39 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:02 am

Anyone else do the cancel and rebook later option?

When I go to rebook it asks for more miles at the new rate. Haven't tried calling since my trip won't open up in award space for a few months.

edit: Whoops forgot to look for the original routing, it isn't showing up even though it is available.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alexj7
Anyone else do the cancel and rebook later option?

When I go to rebook it asks for more miles at the new rate. Haven't tried calling since my trip won't open up in award space for a few months.
I'm not sure why anyone thought this would work given the information we'd been given.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Just to assist those who are changing itineraries. I was changing only the dates on a OW SIN-LAX, same carrier, cabin and flight #'s.

I initially had a CSA who was adamant that any change in the initial flight of an itinerary would trigger the new award levels and stated "I've already done it twice this morning". I HUCA and spoke to another CSA who saw that the the original CSA had but a note in my reservation stating I was advised that any change would cause additional miles (thanks for that) and initially the new CSA also stated that it would trigger additional miles. I asked to to verify and she came back and apologized and said the change would not cost any additional miles.

They key here is she stated when she ran the ticket as a"reval" or re-validation it could be done automatically.

One additional point when she checked SIN-LAX it did not show availability. When she ran it as a point to point SIN-PEK and PEK-LAX she saw the seats.

Hope this helps

Last edited by JONEZY00; Feb 5, 2014 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by JONEZY00

I initially had a CSA who was adamant that any change in the initial flight of an itinerary would trigger the new award levels and stated "I've already done it twice this morning".
And how many people will simply accept that as gospel because they dont know better and go ahead with the change
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like they got some things sorted out overnight. As of late yesterday I was unable to even see options for changes, just the failure message. This morning I'm getting all the way through to a rebooking option screen. Nothing I'd want to change to at this point, but at least things are working again.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
Looks like they got some things sorted out overnight. As of late yesterday I was unable to even see options for changes, just the failure message. This morning I'm getting all the way through to a rebooking option screen. Nothing I'd want to change to at this point, but at least things are working again.
I got to the rebook confirmation screen on my Itinerary, but it was trying to charge me the additional 20K, which is when I called.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Adding my data point...

My partner and I were booked SAT-IAH-LOS-JNB-CPT in J, except LOS-JNB was in Y. I called up today and rebooked SAT-IAH-IAD-JNB-CPT for the same departure date, all J. The rep initially asked for 60,000 additional miles for both of us, I pushed back and he consulted with a supervisor. Something like an hour later, I pay the change fee (no status) and slight difference in taxes. No extra miles!

FWIW, I knew exactly which flights I wanted, that they had two seats, and that I (maybe) should not be charged additional miles. I have no idea how a less informed traveler is supposed to navigate this system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.