Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by trebex
As far as I'm aware, if you're just changing dates, you would not get anything back. If you're changing carriers or destinations, you'd have to cancel, pay a hefty redeposit fee and then rebook. But yes you would get the miles back.
can anyone confirm this? what if the class you booked (F) wasnt available, but nearer, it became available on another carrier but the same destination. Doesn't seem fair that you'd get raped on miles for that.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by exmike
can anyone confirm this? what if the class you booked (F) wasnt available, but nearer, it became available on another carrier but the same destination. Doesn't seem fair that you'd get raped on miles for that.
First, I'm not sure "raped on miles" is a meme that should be started. Not being PC, just being sensitive to hyperbole.

Second, I'm not sure any of this is "fair", at least as far as most of us here are concerned. If that were the criteria being used at UA, then we'd probably have only half the posts in this thread that we do now.

Finally, I can sympathize -- I have a June trip booked that includes a TG F segment that I'd love to swap for an LH F segment. I'm assuming that won't happen. I'm sure I'll survive.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:14 pm

"Q: If I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies. "

Sorry, but the answer above is not clear enough for me. Sure, we know that if we change cities and dates, for example, we have to pay change fees "as per existing policies," but the question is NOT directly being answered. If someone changes, say, the city and dates of his award flight, but the award is still in the same zone, sometime after January, does he or does not not have to cough up extra miles? The character above does NOT answer the OP's essential question. Anybody notice any reference to new or old award chart in the so-called answer? When they decide whether additional miles need to be "collected," will they use the old or new chart???

Last edited by wolfman888; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm Reason: Added detail to question
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by wolfman888
"Q: If I book an award in Jan 2014 and then make changes in Feb or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA Insider View Post
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies. "

Sorry, but the answer above is not clear enough for me. Sure, we know that if we change cities and dates, for example, we have to pay change fees "as per existing policies," but the question is NOT directly being answered. If someone changes, say, the city and dates of his award flight, but the award is still in the same zone, sometime after January, does he or does not not have to cough up extra miles? The character above does NOT answer the OP's essential question. Anybody notice any reference to new or old award chart in the so-called answer? When they decide whether additional miles need to be "collected," will they use the old or new chart???
FWIW
I just spoke to a rep and asked him pointedly about this with several examples. He states that even if we change carriers and dates but same class that the itinerary was booked in, we will only pay the change fee. Anyone else get a different answer?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:21 am

FWIW
I just spoke to a rep and asked him pointedly about this with several examples. He states that even if we change carriers and dates but same class that the itinerary was booked in, we will only pay the change fee. Anyone else get a different answer?
I've gotten a similar answer from the UA reps, however I would caution in what these UA reps really know, as they are in India or somewhere in that region.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
FWIW
There is no way I would rely on that. There's also really no point in asking a reservations agent these types of questions. The answers are literally worthless.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:01 am

As you can tell from my handle, I was a fan of PMCO. Switched to PMUA when PMCO became NonePass. I was skeptical about the merger but things turned out to be ok at the time. Then this, this mileage devaluation is just beyond anything I imagine. Guess it's time to check if I can get a comp from AA, and hopefully AA will stick with the redemption level for a while longer....
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no way I would rely on that. There's also really no point in asking a reservations agent these types of questions. The answers are literally worthless.
Well if you make changes to existing awards, they'll show you the cost before you confirm, won't they?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Free Agent
After the devaluation, I fired off an email to 1K voice. This was the response:

"Mr. Condition One:

Thank you for communicating your feelings about the new Star Alliance award miles redemption for 2014. I regret reading how this issue impacts your view of our airline and sincerely apologize for the negative impression
created.

We realize that all decisions do not please all passengers but, try to make
sure that all are informed well in advance of any major changes. In the
case of the Star Alliance redemption chart, that comes from the Star
Alliance headquarters, not a United alone decision.
(bolding mine - flat lie).

In a meeting with Mr. Smisek yesterday, he emphasized that improvement of schedule reliability is an issue on which United is focused on daily.

Your comments are taken most seriously and have been passed along to our MileagePlus office for further review. Although we have failed to meet your expectations, we hope for your understanding and ability to serve your
flying needs well into the future.

As a Premier 1K member, Mr. Condition One, your business and loyalty to our airline for the past 17 years are extremely valued.

It is always an honor to be of service to you.

Regards,

[Name Redacted]
Executive Services, United Airlines
Corporate Customer Care"

Unexpectedly, this email was followed up with a phone call. I also brought up TOD's resulting in my upgrade percentage of near zero, poor on-time arrival rates, and the broken CPU system. All I got was meaningless platitudes about how they valued my business. Bah, I really wish I wasn't hub captive.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:30 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
FWIW
FWIW, these types of changes today I believe do not cause miles to be refunded and re-withdrawn. IME, UA just changes cities/routings, charges/refunds taxes/fees as appropriate, and changes the ticket as needed.

Thus, there is an argument that UA will allow routing changes, etc. without your having to pay the new mileage requirements, so long as you stay within the "award type" you originally booked.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Condition One

In the case of the Star Alliance redemption chart, that comes from the Star Alliance headquarters,
not a United alone decision.

I'm very surprised someone from UA's Executive Services would make up such a flat lie.

But, nothing surprises me these days.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Condition One
...We realize that all decisions do not please all passengers but, try to make
sure that all are informed well in advance of any major changes. In the
case of the Star Alliance redemption chart, that comes from the Star
Alliance headquarters, not a United alone decision.
(bolding mine - flat lie).

In a meeting with Mr. Smisek yesterday, he emphasized that improvement of schedule reliability is an issue on which United is focused on daily.
What on earth was the person wh sent that to you on?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Not quite sure. He was stammering a lot, and seemed a little defensive. Must not have been a pleasant day for him.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Yes, assuming of course you can get the site or an agent to allow you to book SFO-BKK via FRA.
I have done this for years, extending it even to HKT as well as DPS. Never has been a problem.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:24 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Just burned 55k miles on partners . I suggest you all do the same. The more we burn the more they will regret this decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.