Search

Do flights still go under Gate Control

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Do flights still go under Gate Control

Apologies if already discussed, a search didn't turn up much.

In the past flights went under "gate control" a certain time before departure. Meaning that only the GAs could do certain things.

At times I might be at the airport early and ask the United Club (or RCC, then) agent if there was room on the earlier flight. The agent would often say "there's room, but I need to contact the gate" (if they were good) or "you'll need to go down to the gate" (if they were bad.) In the former case, the UC agent would call the gate and get me booked on the flight, after which they could print my BP. In a variation, at least once the UC agent looked at me and said "I'm going to make the GA mad by fussing with their inventory, but here's your new BP." In another variation they'd put me on the standby list, and by the time I got down to the gate my new BP was already printed and waiting for me.

Last week I was flying through LGA and after already changing flights online once, I arrived at the club at 3:30 when the 4:00 was already boarding.

I said something like "I guess I missed any chance at the 4:00", and the UC agent replied, "not at all" and just printed a new BP. I said something like "isn't the flight under gate control", and the person looked at me like I was from Mars.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:55 pm

I thought this normally happens between the check-in desk and the gate? I think the Club agents have similar access to the gate... (but I'm not sure)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Well, what happens in SHARES is a computer terminal or terminals are designated 'control sets' for each flight, and certain functions cannot be performed on other SHARES terminals. Generally speaking, the functions that are restricted are related to gate functionality like clearing standbys and reconciling a flight. Any terminal can be designated a control set on a flight (I think) by using an entry to make the designation.

UA could be designating the terminals in the UC as control sets for all flights so they can process standbys and such, or the agent designated their set as one themselves. Regardless, the flexibility is there.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig

In the past flights went under "gate control" a certain time before departure. Meaning that only the GAs could do certain things.

At times I might be at the airport early and ask the United Club (or RCC, then) agent if there was room on the earlier flight. The agent would often say "there's room, but I need to contact the gate" (if they were good) or "you'll need to go down to the gate" (if they were bad.) In the former case, the UC agent would call the gate and get me booked on the flight, after which they could print my BP. In a variation, at least once the UC agent looked at me and said "I'm going to make the GA mad by fussing with their inventory, but here's your new BP." In another variation they'd put me on the standby list, and by the time I got down to the gate my new BP was already printed and waiting for me.

Last week I was flying through LGA and after already changing flights online once, I arrived at the club at 3:30 when the 4:00 was already boarding.

I said something like "I guess I missed any chance at the 4:00", and the UC agent replied, "not at all" and just printed a new BP. I said something like "isn't the flight under gate control", and the person looked at me like I was from Mars.
Despite an occasional attitude I've found the LGA agents to be very competent. In the past six months I have had both them and MSP UC agents put me on an earlier flight well within boarding without having to call down to the gate (though at some locations, perhaps this is a courtesy they're supposed to follow). Back in August one of the LGA agents pro-actively (actually without even asking me or telling me) protected me on a later JFK flight when it looks like my LGA flight may have a delay long enough to mess with my connection (I only knew because the backup popped up on my mobile app). While this could very well vary station to station there is certainly nothing explicitly preventing a UC agent from being able to add you to a flight close in.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by denCSA
Well, what happens in SHARES is a computer terminal or terminals are designated 'control sets' for each flight, and certain functions cannot be performed on other SHARES terminals. Generally speaking, the functions that are restricted are related to gate functionality like clearing standbys and reconciling a flight. Any terminal can be designated a control set on a flight (I think) by using an entry to make the designation.

UA could be designating the terminals in the UC as control sets for all flights so they can process standbys and such, or the agent designated their set as one themselves. Regardless, the flexibility is there.
In SHARES, only agents with Supervisor signs can open a "restricted flight" after the gate takes control. Flights typically get "restricted" to cut off checked bags for that flight. Any agent can book and re issue a ticket, however only the gate where the flight is restricted can assign seats and check you in.

Originally Posted by milepig

Any agent can book and re issue a ticket, however only the gate where the flight is restricted can assign seats and check you in. In practice if the flight is booked heavy and is already boarding, the customer is sent to the gate. It isn't about a "good" or "bad" agent not calling the gate, it's about limiting the distractions to the gate agents working diligently to get the flight out in a timely manor. A word of advice: If you see that there is a scheduled flight departing within 40 minutes or so, go directly to that gate, not the service center/club or anywhere else. That is your best shot.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Cbmaz
Any agent can book and re issue a ticket, however only the gate where the flight is restricted can assign seats and check you in. In practice if the flight is booked heavy and is already boarding, the customer is sent to the gate. It isn't about a "good" or "bad" agent not calling the gate, it's about limiting the distractions to the gate agents working diligently to get the flight out in a timely manor. A word of advice: If you see that there is a scheduled flight departing within 40 minutes or so, go directly to that gate, not the service center/club or anywhere else. That is your best shot.
On the contrary, it was just last week, I saw this UX GA at SFO telling this poor girl who was trying to do a paid SDC to go to the customer service center because he will be busy doing boarding :-).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lax2010
On the contrary, it was just last week, I saw this UX GA at SFO telling this poor girl who was trying to do a paid SDC to go to the customer service center because he will be busy doing boarding :-).
I've had a 1K agent on the phone accomplish things before a front line employee standing in front of me could be bothered to. Venue shopping with United is a new skillset of mine post-merger.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by MrMarket
I've had a 1K agent on the phone accomplish things before a front line employee standing in front of me could be bothered to. Venue shopping with United is a new skillset of mine post-merger.
I think such has always been the case, i.e., certain folks tend to be more helpful than others (and some just try their best to be not helpful). For the most part, I am greeted with good customer service (and I don't think it's just about status). Yet, I've had some pretty bad service from a couple of rotten apples that it makes it difficult for them not to spoil one's general attitude.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by lax2010
Well unfortunately, I might have do the same thing depending on the circumstances as I'm under pressure to get my flight out on time. When the flight is restricted and boarding commences, it's pretty much go time. Many of us will do what we can, but sometimes we may just have to say "we can't" as we have so much to get done in the final 30 minutes before departure time. If the SFO UX GA had time to process the SDC then it should have been done. But if there was no time, then the poor girl could have gotten there a bit earlier, or better yet purchased the flight she was trying to get on from the beginning. Sounds like her worst case scenario was that she had to take her original flight that she purchased.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Cbmaz
Well unfortunately, I might have do the same thing depending on the circumstances as I'm under pressure to get my flight out on time. When the flight is restricted and boarding commences, it's pretty much go time. Many of us will do what we can, but sometimes we may just have to say "we can't" as we have so much to get done in the final 30 minutes before departure time. If the SFO UX GA had time to process the SDC then it should have been done. But if there was no time, then the poor girl could have gotten there a bit earlier, or better yet purchased the flight she was trying to get on from the beginning. Sounds like her worst case scenario was that she had to take her original flight that she purchased.
The problem is that (particularly, IME, at SFO) the GA's are often incredibly rude in their dismissal of customers who come up to them for help while the GA *believes* that they are too busy to help the pax.

It's one thing to be too busy to help, but nobody is ever too busy to be polite.

Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.