FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do flights still go under Gate Control
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:55 pm
Cbmaz

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by denCSA
Well, what happens in SHARES is a computer terminal or terminals are designated 'control sets' for each flight, and certain functions cannot be performed on other SHARES terminals. Generally speaking, the functions that are restricted are related to gate functionality like clearing standbys and reconciling a flight. Any terminal can be designated a control set on a flight (I think) by using an entry to make the designation.

UA could be designating the terminals in the UC as control sets for all flights so they can process standbys and such, or the agent designated their set as one themselves. Regardless, the flexibility is there.
In SHARES, only agents with Supervisor signs can open a "restricted flight" after the gate takes control. Flights typically get "restricted" to cut off checked bags for that flight. Any agent can book and re issue a ticket, however only the gate where the flight is restricted can assign seats and check you in.

Originally Posted by milepig
Apologies if already discussed, a search didn't turn up much.

In the past flights went under "gate control" a certain time before departure. Meaning that only the GAs could do certain things.

At times I might be at the airport early and ask the United Club (or RCC, then) agent if there was room on the earlier flight. The agent would often say "there's room, but I need to contact the gate" (if they were good) or "you'll need to go down to the gate" (if they were bad.) In the former case, the UC agent would call the gate and get me booked on the flight, after which they could print my BP. In a variation, at least once the UC agent looked at me and said "I'm going to make the GA mad by fussing with their inventory, but here's your new BP." In another variation they'd put me on the standby list, and by the time I got down to the gate my new BP was already printed and waiting for me.

Last week I was flying through LGA and after already changing flights online once, I arrived at the club at 3:30 when the 4:00 was already boarding.

I said something like "I guess I missed any chance at the 4:00", and the UC agent replied, "not at all" and just printed a new BP. I said something like "isn't the flight under gate control", and the person looked at me like I was from Mars.
Any agent can book and re issue a ticket, however only the gate where the flight is restricted can assign seats and check you in. In practice if the flight is booked heavy and is already boarding, the customer is sent to the gate. It isn't about a "good" or "bad" agent not calling the gate, it's about limiting the distractions to the gate agents working diligently to get the flight out in a timely manor. A word of advice: If you see that there is a scheduled flight departing within 40 minutes or so, go directly to that gate, not the service center/club or anywhere else. That is your best shot.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm Reason: merge