Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
LOL, bandwidth? HUH? 200-400 queries a day is affecting bandwidth at the worlds leading airline?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
You are wrong about KVS - from IT perspective it is simply a browser.
First, KVS is not a browser as it doesn't display web pages as web pages.

Second, the same argument can be made about EF. Let's look at it from an actual IT point of view:

- Screen scrapers (like EF and KVS) make HTTP requests for the web pages to get at the html embedded within.

- Real web browsers do the same however they also make HTTP requests for image files, CSS files, JavaScript files, etc.

So if you want to make the "bandwidth" argument then EF would put LESS load on UA.com then someone using a regular web browser as there are less resources being requested from the server for every page load. The server, btw, services all requests equally. In addition, if someone can't do an award search on EF they'll do it on UA.com directly, which means that the net server load is the same, yes, including alert checks as now the user doesn't have to do them manually.

do you have some agenda to prove by naming and shaming other still live services? I am sure UA knows of them in some way, but why highlight them now? Or the moral voice in you wont be quiet until all violators are punished?
No, star_world asked a question and I answered it, calm down. I personally don't care who is "punished" as you put it. However I don't appreciate UA's hypocrisy of saying that the issue was screen scraping (their words) but then not going after all screen scrapers that profit from doing so.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
EF operates completely differently - they generate vast numbers of dummy MP accounts, and run automated queries from central servers in large volumes to provide alerts to users.
Wow. You have provided a series of new purported facts that I have yet to ever see posted here.

How have you learned that EF is generating "vast" numbers of dummy MP accounts?

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
LOL, bandwidth? HUH? 200-400 queries a day is affecting bandwidth at the worlds leading airline?
I've noticed the site seems slower since they stopped EF.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pete4212
UA and their lawyers wouldn't care as KVS is a 3rd party making money from displaying UA's data, period. The fact that KVS asks for a MP# and password (which EF never did) is even worse as then it's a "security issue" as the airlines like to say. If EF asked for a MP# and password they would still get shutdown. Case in point: AwardWallet. They do the same as KVS according to you (only access UA.com on behalf of user with users credentials), but UA sent them a C&D anyway. Also, if KVS was so legit, he wouldn't be hiding from the airlines so thoroughly as he does.
I'm afraid this analysis is just wrong. There's a fundamental difference between (a) accessing UA's site pursuant to ToS that you have agreed to, then scraping data and selling it to third parties in violation of those ToS, and (b) selling an application that allows a subscriber to UA's site to access and display information in a more useful manner.

When people make arguments like this, they lose all credibility and there is no point in debating further. I'm checking out of this discussion. Have a good day everyone
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
First, KVS is not a browser as it doesn't display web pages as web pages.

Second, the same argument can be made about EF. Let's look at it from an actual IT point of view:

- Screen scrapers (like EF and KVS) make HTTP requests for the web pages to get at the html embedded within.

- Real web browsers do the same however they also make HTTP requests for image files, CSS files, JavaScript files, etc.
ever heard of text based browsers lynx, elinks? How about "do not display images" option on Android and Apple, they also dont show flash by default - does that make them "not real" browsers?
Does mobile browser that reformats the page also qualify? KVS gets html page and displays it in format that the author and user prefer. EF is a distributed cloud services - if you dont see the difference I guess we will just have to disagree.

So if you want to make the "bandwidth" argument
I dont buy bandwidth argument either so we agree there.

No, star_world asked a question
IMHO a good answer would have been "yes"
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I presume you just invented this number.

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Wow. You have provided a series of new purported facts that I have yet to ever see posted here.

How have you learned that EF is generating "vast" numbers of dummy MP accounts?
Let's call it an educated guess Very, very difficult to do it any other way.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm afraid this analysis is just wrong. There's a fundamental difference between (a) accessing UA's site pursuant to ToS that you have agreed to, then scraping data and selling it to third parties in violation of those ToS, and (b) selling an application that allows a subscriber to UA's site to access and display information in a more useful manner.

When people make arguments like this, they lose all credibility and there is no point in debating further. I'm checking out of this discussion. Have a good day everyone
^ Totally agree. Not worth arguing any further.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
When did queue jumping become an issue with SHARES? I thought it was always sweep-based for clearing waitlists and the sweeps were not frequent.
Remember PMCO did not have RPUs and had only recently provided SWUs -- the whole issue / problem was relatively new to PMCO. Nor did PMCO provide access to R inventory. So in general it was a non-issue until the merger, the use of RPU/GPUs, public access to R inventorty, .... The queue jumping of the sweeps based systems become an issue after all of those changes.

estimates here on FT put the EF inventory alerts driving significantly higher levels of traffic (2-3 orders of magnitude and maybe higher) than that. What level they were at and what impact it was having is something I don't know and I doubt anyone here does either.

Bottom line, EF inventory alerts put it in a different class than the other folks
-- drove significantly higher traffic
-- enabled queue jumping more so than the others

And those asking for EF response, you'll never see anything until EF has lost all hope of making an UA arrangement. Why poison the well if there is the hope of a deal?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I've noticed the site seems slower since they stopped EF.
Me too. Oops.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm afraid this analysis is just wrong. There's a fundamental difference between (a) accessing UA's site pursuant to ToS that you have agreed to, then scraping data and selling it to third parties in violation of those ToS, and (b) selling an application that allows a subscriber to UA's site to access and display information in a more useful manner
You should read the TOS (http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/legal.aspx):
This Web site is for the User's personal, noncommercial use only. User agrees not to modify, copy, alter, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from this Web site without United Airlines' prior written permission.
So, either the user is the KVS/EF subscriber, or KVS/EF themselves.
- If you believe the "user" is KVS/EF then both are in violation as KVS is a "software product" that does "alter", "display", etc etc the data.
- If you believe the "user" is the end user, then there should be no issue with any tool as the end user (the KVS/EF sub) isn't doing any of those things regardless of the service used.

So I'll say it again, when it comes to EF, KVS, Award Nexus, etc, either they are all ok, or none of them are from a legal point of view.

Thanks for the personal attack, the adults will continue the conversation. Goodbye.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:44 pm

Let's call it an educated guess
If your "educated guess" is that you work for UA or know someone that does, then get back to us with an educated guess as to why UA hasn't yet done a deal with EF as they have offered to? Since we know from EF's email responses that the ball is in UA's court.

If they're going to publicly say it...
https://twitter.com/united/status/400515903281831936
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

Let's call it an educated guess Very, very difficult to do it any other way.
So you are presuming that UA is monitoring velocity by account, making it necessary to create a batch of fake accounts to avoid detection or throttling?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Yes, I made up those numbers(200-400) , just throwing an example out there. The world's leading airline.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
- If you believe the "user" is KVS/EF then both are in violation as KVS is a "software product" that does "alter", "display", etc etc the data.
Then you must also believe that any user who employs Firefox, Safari, Opera, IE, or any other web browser to "display" the data is, as well. The TOS restrictions are so broad that almost any use of the site could possibly be construed as a violation.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
[Conforming edit by Moderator]
What you don't grasp is from a legal point of view, there is no difference if their complaint is a 3rd party making money off of their data.

Putting that argument aside for the moment, what about AwardNexus? A website, same as EF, has automated checking, same as EF, so UA should have gone after them the same, but didn't. Explain that one, without a personal attack this time.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm Reason: Conforming edit.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What you don't grasp is from a legal point of view, there is no difference if their complaint is a 3rd party making money off of their data.

Putting that argument aside for the moment, what about AwardNexus? A website, same as EF, has automated checking, same as EF, so UA should have gone after them the same, but didn't. Explain that one, without a personal attack this time.
[Unduly personalized text deleted by Moderator.]

What inaction against AwardNexus has to do with anything is completely beyond me.

Maybe you just don't understand the difference between how EF and KVS work?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 4, 2013 at 4:56 pm Reason: Per FT TOS.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Lecturing lawyers about the law is not a productive use of your time.

What inaction against AwardNexus has to do with anything is completely beyond me.

Maybe you just don't understand the difference between how EF and KVS work?
I work in technology, I do understand how they are the same and how KVS is different from an actual web browser. One hallmark of an actual web browser is that they show the website as it was intended (even if reformatted for a mobile device, which doesn't happen much anymore in the age of iOS and Android), KVS does not. KVS doesn't even mention the website it's scraping from.

The legal term is "precedent".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.