Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Well the title says "reportedly" and the statement does not refute that a slimline seat is coming; it merely says that new seats are coming and that they are from the same "family" of seats that is being installed on other aircraft today. That's very much an evasive answer IMO. And this is not the first "no comment" that I have received in chasing down the story. I reached out to UA's CorpComm group on Tuesday before publishing, giving them the opportunity to deny the change. They, too, chose a "no comment" approach rather than a clear denial of the impending change.

New seats were on display in the Willis Tower HQ. Are they the same exact Recaro seats which are being installed on the Airbus fleet? I don't believe so. But they are new and different from the others and I'd be quite surprised if they aren't a variation on the slimline frame going in.
At this point, you are the only one "reportedly" saying they are coming to the 737s next year. I know you have your "sources" and all, but Aaron's statement pretty much refutes your post, at least at this point in time.

I'm also not sure why you think you getting a "no comment" on proprietary, non-public information means that these seats are likely to come.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

I can provide some clarification here. Currently, we have several different seat types in United Economy across our 737 fleet. However, newer deliveries have models from the same family of seats as many of our long-haul aircraft, including the 2-cabin 767-300s and the 787s (which do indeed get higher customer satisfaction scores). It’s this type of seat that we aim to have as the broad 737 standard, replacing some of the earlier models but emulating the design and comfort characteristics found in those long-haul aircraft.

There's more information to come on this, so stay tuned...

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Aaron: No offense, but this is not particularly informative. First, UAL has been quoted as not getting the seats that they wanted on the 787 (You wanted to put BE Pinnacle B with IFE - seats I think are on the retrofitted 764s and on some sky interior 738s - but it was not yet approved by Boeing, so you did not push the matter.)

Frankly, I don't know what seat is on the 787 in Y, perhaps you can tell us so we know what you are suggesting? I think its the same seat as on the ex-UA two class 763s, but I've only been in BF on those (and BTB, those seats are too short, not flying that again...) It sounds like you are suggesting that it is a Recardo seat, yet it looks nothing like any of the slimline Racardos.

Perhaps someone (calling JC28....) can give some 411...

But even "emulating" a range of seats by Recardo does not tell us much. We know that the seats being put on the airbus by UAL (model 3520) are not so hot on longer flights. But there are a number of Recardo Slim Line seats (photos of them are here): http://www.recaro-as.com/economy-class-486.html Is UAL intending to use the long haul version?

Can you give us some further 411, at this point most of us have little belief UAL will do anything but pick the lowest/cheapest option, so "emulating" is not telling us much.

p.s. the Weber (now Zodiac) slimline economy class seat (I think they are 5751). that move forward with recline (used by AA and DL) are not bad, ditto the Pinnacle seat, much better than the direction UAL is going.

Last edited by spin88; Oct 3, 2013 at 11:57 am
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
At this point, you are the only one "reportedly" saying they are coming to the 737s next year.
Except that UA Insider also confirmed that new seats are coming. Now it is down to the details on what they are, something which has not been clearly answered by anyone from UA.

We'll see what they are. I was pretty clear in stating that it isn't the same seat as in the Airbus but something similar. I suppose we'll find out soon enough just how similar they are. And given that the seats on the 763 and the 788 are different, I'm not 100% certain what to expect out of the 737 plans.

As for doubting my sources, I'm curious what stories I've reported based on similar sources which turned out to be false. Got any examples?

Originally Posted by spin88
p.s. the Weber (now Zodiac) slimline economy class seat (I think they are 5751) slimline economy class seat. that move forward with recline (used by AA and DL) are excellent, much better than the direction UAL is going.
The B/E Aerospace seats are also pretty nice IME, given a very limited amount of time in the seat.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:00 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by sbm12
The B/E Aerospace seats are also pretty nice IME, given a very limited amount of time in the seat.
+1, Last weekend I had the horror of boarding and sitting in 17L on the 764 for about 15 minutes until the FA gave me a new BP for 1B

I was pleased with the seat and the recline, which was definitely 1-2" more than what we are accustomed on many domestic birds or in E-.

Are they the same seats found on the sCO 752s? If so, I was pretty comfortable when my upgrade did not clear on OSL-EWR.

Last edited by golfingboy; Oct 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sbm12
I agree, and have modified my post to make it clearer. I think that the BE Pinnicle and the Weber slim line (which I sit on DL on the few flights I am not upgraded or buy F ) are both MUCH better than the new Recardo Slim line on the UA airbuses. The short seat bottom and lack of padding and the sort of odd rake of the backrest are not a good combo. And as UA-NYC has noted, the headrests are useless.

My quess is that the Pinnicle and the Webers are ever so slightly (perhaps a lb or two) heavier, so UAL went with the cheaper option, without thinking about customer satisfaction issues on flights that are not 1-2 hours, but often 4-6 hours. But I think the real reason why they are going with the Recardo is the short seat cushion (something that makes it uncomfortable) allows the pitch to be shortened... so its about that extra row...

If so, that suggests that the ONLY seat we will see they use is the same seat going on the Airbus...

Last edited by spin88; Oct 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:09 pm

I had this conversation with sbm12 separately, but I thought it was relevant to re-echo here. I think the UA slimline seats will be an improvement over the CO Koitos. I even liked the Recaros when Iberia had the first incarnation and even the LH NEKs. However, I admit that I'm probably not typical as I like my firm reasonably firm (as opposed to soft and pillowy), just the same way I like my suspension and car seats (as opposed to Caddy-like).
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:27 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
United Airlines Introduces New Signature Seat Design

Here it is:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...181500142.html

Photos:
http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalhol...m/seatredesign

- Debuting today on a Skywest CRJ-700
- Plan is for these seats to be on 500 aircraft; 400 by 2015

Not sure what model this seat is, but it doesn't look like the new Airbus slimline seats or the seats installed on newer 737s or widebodies.

Last edited by dw; Oct 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The new 737 seat...

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
Here it is:

Photos:

Looks an awful lot like a slimline seat to me.

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by dw
Here it is:

Photos:

Thanks for sharing ^ They do look and seem to be considerably more comfortable than the slim Recaro seats found on the Airbuses. Particularly with a deeper base, but the picture may be fooling my eyes.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The new 737 seat...

That looks like the Pinnacle seat, just with a new look, which jives with my understanding that the 737s will be staying with the Pinnacle seats through the refresh. The Recaros will stay on the Airbii, but will receive the new look as well.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
The new 737 seat...
Is it just me or does the seat on the left there not have a tray table??
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:39 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Personally, I find the new colors a bit garish... but then again, it does scream "United" to me, whereas the new Airbus seats are so generic they could be on any airline.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hey, UA actually discovered the world of design! ^

(Curious why they didn't delay the Airbus reconfigs to add in this much better looking, and hopefully comfort-wise, seat)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hey, UA actually discovered the world of design! ^

(Curious why they didn't delay the Airbus reconfigs to add in this much better looking, and hopefully comfort-wise, seat)
I heard a comment that the Airbus reconfiguration planning actually started pre-merger. Perhaps the contract to purchase the seats was signed prior to planning for a new fleet-wide seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.