Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS/Global Entry
Does this officially mean the end of DTV on 737 fleet? I assume that if DTV was going to be installed on these seats it would be flaunted in the press release...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
Does this officially mean the end of DTV on 737 fleet? I assume that if DTV was going to be installed on these seats it would be flaunted in the press release...
You'll also notice that they do have AC outlets so if they were to have DTV you would think it would be there. Though the monitor would be in the same spot as the seat pocket so it would require a fundamental redesign.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
I heard a comment that the Airbus reconfiguration planning actually started pre-merger. Perhaps the contract to purchase the seats was signed prior to planning for a new fleet-wide seat.
I think this is pretty close to the truth based on what I've heard as well.

Originally Posted by nova08
You'll also notice that they do have AC outlets so if they were to have DTV you would think it would be there. Though the monitor would be in the same spot as the seat pocket so it would require a fundamental redesign.
Maybe going with the wifi media streaming option (bring your own device) that the Airbii are getting.

Last edited by JC1120; Oct 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAGLOBAL
That was sbm12's other rumor at the start of the thread - sounds like UA is going wifi and power only.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Also no channel 9 unless it goes wifi based as still being explored last I heard. I'm going to miss having the IFE available on the A319's and the DTV's. I'm not happy with having to bring my own video player just for the privilege of paying for content.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pingtung
I'm not happy with having to bring my own video player just for the privilege of paying for content.
It is currently free, isn't it??

You'll also notice that they do have AC outlets so if they were to have DTV you would think it would be there.
There is no image of the back of the 737 seats.

I'm betting against in-seat screens on the new planes, but it is possible, even with that design, I believe. Others have done it IIRC. Plus UA has a contract with LiveTV to keep some installed still.

Last edited by sbm12; Oct 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reason: clarified
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I heard a comment that the Airbus reconfiguration planning actually started pre-merger. Perhaps the contract to purchase the seats was signed prior to planning for a new fleet-wide seat.
Perhaps you may be correct....
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:41 pm

Wonder if the ribbing that appears on the seatback offers any improvement over what's in the Airbus aircraft..
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:44 pm

Why in the world would that saintly management team ever provide something that's less comfortable to its customers...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Quote:

Why in the world would that saintly management team ever provide something that's less comfortable to its customers...
The new PMUA 777 Y seat is less comfortable than the prior. The trade off is a decent IFE and power.

Here it is a total loss.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
p.s. the Weber (now Zodiac) slimline economy class seat (I think they are 5751). that move forward with recline (used by AA and DL) are not bad, ditto the Pinnacle seat, much better than the direction UAL is going.
If those are the seats that Cathay Pacific installed a few years ago and then removed because of customer compliants, I'd rather have the rock hard Recaros. I spent 14 hours sitting on one of those CP slide forward seats, and it was miserable.

If they are the seats ANA or KE are currently using on their long haul 777s, not nearly as bad.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The new PMUA 777 Y seat is less comfortable than the prior. The trade off is a decent IFE and power.

Here it is a total loss.
Depends on your perspective. Customers benefit from additional seats and lower costs.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Depends on your perspective. Customers benefit from additional seats and lower costs.
That's a really funny one...
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is currently free, isn't it??

There is no image of the back of the 737 seats.

I'm betting against in-seat screens on these planes, but it is possible, even with that design, I believe. Others have done it IIRC.
I think he is referring to the Wifi/streaming content setup coming sometime in the future. It can apply to just wifi but for overhead monitors and DTV, you do not actually need any other external device to take advantage of it.

Ah ok, I guess I was looking at the back of the CR7 seats. I have to say the pictures are not great. No pictures of the 737 F seat, and the CR7 F seat does not look much bigger than a Y seat.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I think he is referring to the Wifi/streaming content setup coming sometime in the future.
I know. UA hasn't yet charged anyone for streaming media, have they? And when the 747 announcement was made they said ti would be free. The Airbus announcement suggested free now and maybe a charge later, but still free now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.