Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm just curious - is it a race to the bottom only when UAL installs these seats? Or does it include other carriers?
It includes them as well. I've experienced the LH seats, and avoid them whenever possible, and I won't even go into what I think about WN.

I understand that UA is installing the seats because it helps their bottom line. Just please don't tell us that it is going to be an improvement for the passenger, because it isn't.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by sbm12
To be fair, UA does have plugs on all of the planes, though not at every seat.
I have found issues with power on more than one occasion
on the 737-8/900s.
Regardless of the little lamp on the isle seat being on I had
no power and no amount of fiddling by the fa's could turn it
on
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm just curious - is it a race to the bottom only when UAL installs these seats? Or does it include other carriers?
I presume that is why people are calling it a race. Multiple runners are involved to try to get to the bottom as fast and cheap as possible.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA G
With new lighter-weight seats, this is a Fuel Friendly, not Flyer Friendly, enhancement.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Avis President's Club, IHG Platinum
For an explanation of power at the seats of 737s, see the wiki here.

Originally Posted by hamburgoflyer
I have found issues with power on more than one occasion
on the 737-8/900s.
Regardless of the little lamp on the isle seat being on I had
no power and no amount of fiddling by the fa's could turn it
on
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Try Therm-A-Rest Camp Seat. Inflatable. thus thin to pack although its padded with neoprene

Last edited by hughw; Oct 2, 2013 at 6:09 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
With new lighter-weight seats, this is a Fuel Friendly, not Flyer Friendly, enhancement.
So, if we are against these new seats, are we against fuel efficiency and our environment?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Being 6'3" instituting these hellish seats fleet wide is the first change that has me contemplating switching to AA.

They are that horrible.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:49 pm

I flew on slimline

from LAX to ORD this Sunday on an A320. I was skeptical at first, but definitely was surprised - pleasantly - by the experience.

Overall it was comfortable. I flew to LAX from ORD on the park bench 738 seats, and that was horrifically brutal.

These slimline seats were way more comfortable and I'd recommend them. Not as great as the old Airbus seats, but certainly acceptable. and WAY better than the seats on the 737-700 and the 737-800.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Being 6'3" instituting these hellish seats fleet wide is the first change that has me contemplating switching to AA.

They are that horrible.
Well you're going to be in for a shock as AA is now installing them on their new AC!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Oh, I know...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by jasondc
from LAX to ORD this Sunday on an A320. I was skeptical at first, but definitely was surprised - pleasantly - by the experience.

Overall it was comfortable. I flew to LAX from ORD on the park bench 738 seats, and that was horrifically brutal.

These slimline seats were way more comfortable and I'd recommend them. Not as great as the old Airbus seats, but certainly acceptable. and WAY better than the seats on the 737-700 and the 737-800.
^ Agreed with your observation. Count me in as one of the more pleased. We've discussed the brutal seating on the sCO 73G/738s for years.

I find the LH slimline style more comfortable than the old versions. Like all of you here, I have spent many hours of my life sitting on those seats in CO 737s - including one memorable and horrible day involving 14 hours SJU-EWR-PHX including gate delays and taxiway holds, all in non-upgraded Y on 738s. This makes for a slight improvement.

sUA 319/320 are more comfortable than sCO 737s.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I had the new seats this week on an A320 from PHL-ORD, and i did not find them too bad. It gave the cabin a different look. The pouches in the back of the seat is a mesh type, but way too small. You could not put headphones in them.
Answered my question if same as LH, and I agree with ok for short-haul only.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Answered my question if same as LH, and I agree with ok for short-haul only.
It is not the same as the LH seat, a point which was made at least once in this thread and a few times in other threads. :-:

The frame is the same but the cushioning/covering is different.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

My only issue here is UA is getting very inconsistent with their product, some planes have E+, some don't... Some have WiFi, some don't. Some have DTV, some don't. Some have that seat, some don't. Some have in-seat power, some don't. Some Intl birds have proper AVOD in Y, some don't.. This is getting annoying, I am glad they have a very detailed flight status information that helps mitigate our expectations, but I still wish they would try to focus on getting things consistent first.

DL did a very good job in getting their product consistent. They didn't do the flat-bed seat, E+, WiFi, Y AVOD upgrades, and a bunch of stuff at the same time and it was quite effective IMO. For me, consistent experience goes further than having random experience with respect to onboard product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.