Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slimline seats reportedly coming to the 737 fleet in 2014 [confirmed]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
I've got on pretty good authority that UA has been demo'ing new slimline seats for their 737 fleet in the Willis Tower and that these will be installed starting in 2014. No word on whether this also means an extra row of seats being installed, but I know what I'd bet if odds were being made.

Looking at these seats relative to the windows.....er, is this right? The seats look WAY lower. How the heck can anyone stow anything under the seat in front of them. This can't be right, usually the armrest is right about at the bottom of the window...but these windows in the picture look too big. I wonder if it's being done purposely to give the illusion of bigger OR are the new Boeings going to have bigger windows a la 787? Odd the picture was taken with armrests up as well. It's just the whole picture is deceptive. The seats are shorter than typical, the windows are HUGE, The headrests look plush, but they aren't functional...just a little odd, eh? Or is this just me?

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Oct 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redtailshark
^ Agreed with your observation. Count me in as one of the more pleased. We've discussed the brutal seating on the sCO 73G/738s for years.
While the 737s are definitely hard, IMO they're much better than the new slimline seats at ergonomics/proportionality. The latter are IMO way out of whack in terms of their dimensions, as well as contour in the back.

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Looking at these seats relative to the windows.....er, is this right? The seats look WAY lower. How the heck can anyone stow anything under the seat in front of them. This can't be right, usually the armrest is right about at the bottom of the window...but these windows in the picture look too big. I wonder if it's being done purposely to give the illusion of bigger OR are the new Boeings going to have bigger windows a la 787? Odd the picture was taken with armrests up as well. It's just the whole picture is deceptive. The seats are shorter than typical, the windows are HUGE, The headrests look plush, but they aren't functional...just a little odd, eh? Or is this just me?
See my previous post - they ARE that low. Really bad. Also, the headrests are an illusion, the "hard" inside (which you can actually rest your head against) stops ~3" short of each outer edge (so the cover can just "flap" over it). They're straight flimsy.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I also dislike that the "magazine, safety card" area cant even hold a water bottle anymore... where do I put that if my tray table is up?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I had the displeasure of riding on my first A320 with slimline seats last weekend. What a horror!

The seats are very uncomfortable, the seat bottom has no cushion and the seat back is not concave at all. You feel like you are sitting on a flat piece of cardboard. I didn't play with the headrest so I can't comment on that.

The worst of it is that the audio system and overhead video monitors were removed from the plane. Not even Channel 9 was an option even though the amenities on mobile.united.com still said Ch9 was available.

Avoid the slimline seats if at all possible! I know it's impossible to know ahead of time if you'll get a plane with those seats or not.

-RM
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I think in 5 years all airlines will be using this seat. This will become the standard in the airline business. I still have yet to try the UA Slim Seats, are they really worse than the current 737 seats?

WN also changed there seats, and what get's me, they are now lower and my knees are in pain after an hour, not by behind.

As far as entertainment, I wish they would just install PTV's instead of this wifi streaming stuff. I've tried it on WN and it works, but after a 3 hour flight, my ipad goes dead.
To give another perspective, my Mother hated the old WN seats because her feet didn't touch the ground!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
DL did a very good job in getting their product consistent.
Seriously? So many different aircraft configs, each with slightly different products on board.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:26 pm

Seriously? So many different aircraft configs, each with slightly different products on board.
Although different by aircraft, the seats are all the same color. Consistency where it matters.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Well UA might as scrap this new advert now that touts the old seats and seat back TV's

http://youtu.be/H_RY8hW66AY
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Configs, UA is not exactly better in that aspect (738s, 757s, and 777s) and it didn't bother me much when I flew 80K miles a year on DL from 2009-2012. This was mostly an issue with the 757s for most part, especially when there is an equipment swap. More of an issue with how the system handled the seat shuffle putting customers in row 17 into row 40 or something like that. How the UA seats are arranged does not bother me. What bothers me is some of those planes are dark, some don't have E+, some don't have in-seat power, some dont have oven, etc.

What DL got consistent pretty quickly (as begun project and steamrolled all the way to the end):

Wifi
Economy Comfort
Standardized BoB options (none of that plane can only serve cold the other can serve hot meals)
Proper AVOD on intl birds in all cabins except for ex NW 757s
Now the intl J cabin upgrades - sUA didn't do well in this area
F product/offering on mainline and RJs

Only area DL is inconsistent with that does irk me is AVOD with domestic birds (I use them for the map ) and in-seat power. Not as bad as UA IMO. DL did have this short period when they completed all domestic planes with wifi except for four ETOPs 763s and that got me frustrated as I ended up on those birds often on LAX/ATL (I had the monthly subscription and GoGo gave me $15 discount twice for this very reason), but within a few months they changed their minds and added wifi on those birds as well.

I would be shocked if you think DL was/is as bad as UA. From my experience, that is not the case. Others may have a different opinion.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Might as well cross-post this here, since the other forum is currently down and I'm back on FT for a bit.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
These new seats certainly look less deep, in terms of the distance from the back of the seat base to the front edge of the seat. Has anyone measured and compared them to current seats?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Time to get a butt tuck?

Seats are terrible. So bad I need to get a butt tuck. I'm 6'3" 225 and I even noticed on 737- not sure it was a 700 or 800 series, the leg room suked too. Sure missing row 21 on 757's
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Instead of giving out yellow United embroidered baggage handles to 1K and GS flyers in 2014, United is planning on giving out yellow United embroidered knee protectors to all 1Ks and GS who routinely fail to get upgrades and need them for the slimline seats.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomj888
Seats are terrible. So bad I need to get a butt tuck. I'm 6'3" 225 and I even noticed on 737- not sure it was a 700 or 800 series, the leg room suked too. Sure missing row 21 on 757's
Well, these new seats are going to be different from what you had which you hated. Maybe they'll suck less.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:22 pm

Have you been

On the new slimline seats? I was on it this past Sunday LAXORD and it was heaven compared to the 737. I was very comfortable for the 4 hour flight. I can barely stand the 738 on a 1 hour ord-dca!

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
While the 737s are definitely hard, IMO they're much better than the new slimline seats at ergonomics/proportionality. The latter are IMO way out of whack in terms of their dimensions, as well as contour in the back.

See my previous post - they ARE that low. Really bad. Also, the headrests are an illusion, the "hard" inside (which you can actually rest your head against) stops ~3" short of each outer edge (so the cover can just "flap" over it). They're straight flimsy.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 3, 2013 at 5:27 am Reason: fix quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.