Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

12 September 2013 UA $0 Mistake Fares (UA Honoring Ticketed Itineraries)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have reviewed the error that occurred yesterday and decided that, based on these specific circumstances, we will honor the tickets.

Thanks,

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

12 September 2013 UA $0 Mistake Fares (UA Honoring Ticketed Itineraries)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Antarius
Business travelers who need to be at xyz at 9 AM with price no object? Never booked anything as crazy as 28 grand, but I have shelled out 1400 USD to fly from DFW to DTW in Y.

Absolutely. Retail frequently does this, honoring the ticketed price. I own a tie that cost me $5 because they forgot to enter the second 5 in the price tag.
That proves the point, you know how much the ticket cost that you just referenced.

I see your point about the tie, but there is a difference between $0 and >$0.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
Absolutely. Retail frequently does this, honoring the ticketed price. I own a tie that cost me $5 because they forgot to enter the second 5 in the price tag.
My phone from AT&T cost me $99 not $299 w/ two year contract because the little card with the price was wrong. I'd rather a $10 ticket than a phone though
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I think the correct answer is: never.

It's equally interesting to see how fast they could identify and fix this error but how hard it is to get attention to errors which do not affect revenue but do affect delivery of promised benefits.

This just goes to show they are capable of doing what they want to do.
Two points: first, I'm sure you aware that they have a 24hr cancellation process that most definitely does help you out if you make a mistake - that's extremely hard to reconcile with your "never" point above. And that's not even getting into the countless examples of people who have posted here about being given a break by an agent when they needed to make a change to correct an innocent mistake - change fees waived, etc.

Second, you have to be kidding if you think they would do anything other than shut something like this down immediately. Are you trying to have us believe that any one of your wish list of things that UA would add / change is equal in time, effort, and priority to address? Come on. You're not naive enough to believe that, and it's abundantly obvious that an airline is going to take immediate steps to prevent tickets being sold for free
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by star_world
You're not naive enough to believe that, and it's abundantly obvious that an airline is going to prevent tickets being sold for free
They were sold.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by XCstud
[/B]

Who in the world books a ticket for themselves without noting the price? What if it were a $28,000 ticket?
I do.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA G
I'm looking forward to them honoring the tickets under the condition that the tickets are free and do not earn EQM or RDM.

nb. I did not book any of these tickets.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rch4u
They were sold.
Your point? Please read the post - it referred to them shutting their reservation system down.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A good rule of thumb for mis-filed fares in the last few years is that tickets which have a $0 fare basis tend to not be honored; and tickets which have any >$0 fare basis, even something that might seem a bit silly like a $2 promotional fare, tend to be honored.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by unavaca
I'm looking forward to them honoring the tickets under the condition that the tickets are free and do not earn EQM or RDM.

nb. I did not book any of these tickets.
this would not deter me, nor many others, from flying what we booked.

i'm already booked to 1K this year and the tickets i bought under this "sale" i would simply not have purchased otherwise, but i don't care if i get EQM on them personally. RDM would be nice, but for $0, okay, that fine since this is even more free than an award ticket...

i also booked a 2014 ticket, in the world of PQ$, i would still fly this ticket since i booked it with the full knowledge that it will literally earn almost 0 PQ$...it's a trip i want to take, and for the price, it would be acceptable to get no PQMs since i am also getting no PQ$ to speak of. if the fare was on DL for $0, i would have booked it there too even as a DL kettle.

point being the impact of this fare mistake on FT would be huge if PQM and RDM are not awarded. but in the grand scheme, most people who got $10 tickets just want the $10 tickets...not the PQM and RDM that might come with them.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddrost1
okay, but i and many others will take a less convenient flight to get a G or N, if that option were presented to us at booking. instead, we got a bunch of K's for $0 and no background knowledge of what else was available on the route.

in addition, i am not about to take UA at their word that lowest intended fare for a given city pair or group of flights cost $x when they already sold it to me for a given "price" even if that price is $0. they need to either honor the tickets, or come back with something that a reasonable person would identify as a good deal to incentivise people not to fight them over it. otherwise they will have a hot DOT mess on their hands.

i understand the theory that i, and most other FTers know enough to know that a flight should not be sold for $10 round trip -- but out there somewhere there were people browsing for flights for a trip they actually need to take and they stumbled across this without the knowledge of how airfares work to make a decision about whether it was a mistake or not. the DOT has been very clear that it is not the responsibility of the consumer to identify whether a fare is real or a mistake. most people only know what they pay all included, they dont know what the cost is of taxes/fees on each segment/city pair.
What I was trying to say was eg the 9am JFK-LAX would have been $319 1 way then thats what they should offer, if the 6am was $179 that shouldnt have any bearing on what the fare was for the 9am.I dont think they would have to offer a $179 fare for the 9am that was booked. However if they have no way (I doubt it) to know what should have been the fares being offered, then Id say they should go with whatever was the cheapest fare for any of the flights, in that case $179 for the 9am

Doubt any court (Im not a liar I mean lawyer) would uphold that $0 is a price for anything, unless teher were a ton of *s that basically got the item back to what its price should have been eg a $150 fee for letting you buy the item, simply charging some taxes isnt gonna fly. No different then everyone who had their 4 mile HKG tkts honored after 100s of pgs of saying how UA Must honor them and DOT will stick it to them
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by XCstud
Who in the world books a ticket for themselves without noting the price? What if it were a $28,000 ticket?
Those who are price inelastic. 2 already in this thread. That's who.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:45 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Update

Hi everyone,

One of our filings today contained an error which resulted in certain fares displaying as zero. This has been corrected and united.com is currently available for reservations.

I realize many of you have questions about bookings that were made today, and we will share those details when they become available.

Thanks,

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The real question: Did someone get fired over this? Did SMI/J's head nearly explode when he heard about this? When they shut down the booking engine online, was someone running down the hall as if their hair was on fire screaming "SHUT IT DOWN!"

Oh...to be a fly on the wall today in Chicago HQ.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Bloomberg (not the mayor, the news service) posted this about an hour ago:

United Studying Whether to Honor $0 Fares Sold in Error

United Airlines (UAL) said its reviewing whether to honor an unknown number of tickets accidentally offered online for free after faulty data was put into its reservations system.

The booking portion of United.com had to be shut down while the carrier fixed the error, said Megan McCarthy, a spokeswoman for the unit of Chicago-based United Continental Holdings Inc. The fares were only on the website and werent distributed to other channels such as travel agencies, she said.

The fault was not technology-based, she said, without giving details on the reasons or the length of the website shutdown. Errant prices appeared for a couple hours at midday, McCarthy said.

Many of the tickets had a total cost of $5 or $10, suggesting that United was only collecting a mandatory 9/11 security fee of $2.50 per leg, said Rick Seaney, chief executive officer of FareCompare.com, a ticket research firm based in Dallas.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Jane Credeur in Atlanta at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Ed Dufner at [email protected]
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:52 pm

I don't know whether this is the same or not but Air Asia ran many zero base fare promotions many times before (Example: http://www.examiner.com/article/air-...india-and-more).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.