Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

12 September 2013 UA $0 Mistake Fares (UA Honoring Ticketed Itineraries)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We have reviewed the error that occurred yesterday and decided that, based on these specific circumstances, we will honor the tickets.

Thanks,

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

12 September 2013 UA $0 Mistake Fares (UA Honoring Ticketed Itineraries)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by DoRight
Wow. These posts are similar to people who go on line to discuss how they stole from a neighborhood store. ... Does it matter how rich they are or poor you are, or they the government allows it? You beat the system. Now cancel your tickets.
Overly greedy or improper would be paying someone to fly the flights for them under a fake ID if they couldn't fly themselves, but still wanted the status and redeemable miles. Any ticket where they are willing and able to sit in the seat and fly it should be fair game.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Chevelter
Hey guys, the electronics chain store down the street left its back door open by mistake and nobody's watching over the inventory. Let's all go in and steal stuff and say we're entitled to it, too.
I think the more correct analogy should be.

The electronics chain is open for business as usual with a sign that says $10 vouchers for flat-screen tv's. A whole mob of people showed up and since there are only self-check out registers due to cost cutting measures, they left the store vouchers in-hand.

And so the dilemma began.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Do US airlines not offer $0 'lead-in' fares?

It's quite common in the UK to have 0+tax fares. In fact, RyanAir often has 1 inclusive fares. They count on people paying for checked luggage and other extras.

I did quite a few 2 MAN-DUB-MAN trips a few years ago.

My point is that the fare wouldn't necessarily have appeared to be a mistake to me.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Overly greedy or improper would be paying someone to fly the flights for them under a fake ID if they couldn't fly themselves, but still wanted the status and redeemable miles. Any ticket where they are willing and able to sit in the seat and fly it should be fair game.
I've actually thought about how convenient it would be to have an identical twin.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum
Did United cancel any tickets in the first 24 hours?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Do US airlines not offer $0 'lead-in' fares?

It's quite common in the UK to have 0+tax fares. In fact, RyanAir often has 1 inclusive fares. They count on people paying for checked luggage and other extras.

I did quite a few 2 MAN-DUB-MAN trips a few years ago.

My point is that the fare wouldn't necessarily have appeared to be a mistake to me.
I think this is spot on. For all we know, this was planned by an organization that is one record that they selected SHARES to mazimize and drive add-on fee revenue...which I guess Apollo was not geared to do (it is amazing how anything related to generating a fee works, but the underlying travel system functionality does not).

MegaBus offers $1 fares and then hits you with a fee for everything. Is that not the premise of People's Express that has now morphed into COua?

This also gives them a lot of free advertising as you simply can't miss the story.

So they come out looking good when they say they will honor the tickets then is nothing to prevent them from sending an email saying if you want to actually board the plane,,,here's the fee schedule. it's somewhat brilliant.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
1- what proof do you have that weeks or months ago the head honchos sat down decided to do what they did and knowing and planned to take peoples money and not allow any refunds. If anything there have been posts where the poster has said they were refunded their membership fee due to the new changes.

2- I see nothing wrong on their end for what they did as long as they allow for a pro rated refund for any unused time left on everyones membership who now wish to CX

3- we havent seen anything yet, All the Carriers know the only money they will make is due to FEES.

Sort of why electronics stores sell their stuff dirt cheap, they are selling tons of Serice contracts that they know you wont need.Or why car rentals are cheap they hope to sock it to you when you buy the options they offer. Heck what is a Mid size car today by many used to be a Compact or Economy Everyone is playing the same game. Whens the last time you purcahsed a 1/2 gal of OJ, the container still looks the same but its 10% less OJ in it, same with potato chips big bag a heck of alot less weight, or tuna fish can looks the same but its several oz less in weight
The refund issue seems to be inconsistent though. They either are issuing them or they aren't. They issued a press release citing enhancements but other than some fancy new furniture and password protected wi-fi, I don't really see anything other than implementing charges for alcohol that was previously complimentary. While UA reserves the right to change any part of any product/promotion/service (i.e Lifetime Elite issue, or loss of Y+ to Silvers), it's the execution to how they do it. Granted the Premier monetary threshold I'll state as an example of where they announced it far in advance and allowed people to actually plan for it. But my point being is that at least with the Silver Elite example, they continued to let people accrue miles, pay for tickets, sign up for credit cards, etc. giving people the impression that they would continue to receive the same benefits and then towards the end of the calendar year basically come out and say well we decided to change the benefits you'll be getting.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr_BKK
I made a reservation for a work trip from IAD - MSP at around 1:30 EDT yesterday, and was one of the very early ones to discover this. It has not been cancelled after 23 hours, so they still have an hour to pull the plug.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
missed out on this by a few mins.
I did worse than that: I probably bought reward tickets for my wife right when the $0.00 fares were in effect. Rats.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by andyfarrimond
I made a reservation for a work trip from IAD - MSP at around 1:30 EDT yesterday, and was one of the very early ones to discover this. It has not been cancelled after 23 hours, so they still have an hour to pull the plug.
The belief that they only have 24 hours to act is both entertaining and horribly misguided.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.755 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The belief that they only have 24 hours to act is both entertaining and horribly misguided.
I know and agree with that, but I am still fully amused by the entertaining aspect of this whole thing!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by star_world
Good point.

Trying to claim that UA has no basis for being able to refuse to award miles or honor the tickets is ridiculous. This is purely a customer goodwill problem to solve.
OK, if we want to go by this, will UA please give MM'ers there 2 Regionals back? This tickets should be honored. No stealing, people went on line and purchased a ticket. The purchased for whatever price was given.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Chevelter
Hey guys, the electronics chain store down the street left its back door open by mistake and nobody's watching over the inventory. Let's all go in and steal stuff and say we're entitled to it, too.
Did something have a price tag of 0 and a credit card given? This analogy is wrong. People went online and priced a ticket, they purchased for the price that was offered. No one snuck on an airplane for free and picked a seat.

Again, pricetag was 0 and UA took a credit card payment, please stop using the door was open. UA set a price and people purchased. No stealing was done.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It took a month before US Air cancelled one of my tickets on a "mistake" last year
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Platinum AA, Platinum Delta
Glitch allowed purchase of two tickets for zero dollars???

Weird- check your emails. I JUST got my email with the ticketed information... Clues to perhaps honoring it?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.