Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Cheetah_SA
PROMO: Buy UA Miles and Earn Bonuses up to 60%

Offer ends today. Purchase miles and earn a bonus based on how many others purchase. The more people that purchase, the higher the bonus goes. Bonus has already reached 60%. Everyone who purchases gets the same bonus, so if the bonus was 45% when you purchased you will still receive the 60% bonus.

You can purchase a maximum of 100,000 miles (though the bonus is not included in that, so a a purchase of 100,000 miles still earns the full bonus).

Offer details: (via website)
  • To take advantage of this offer, you must use the order links on this page.
  • Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on September 5, 2013.
  • For a limited time, get a minimum of 30% bonus award miles and a maximum of 60% bonus award miles when you purchase miles via the above links.
  • Allow 48 hours for purchased miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account. Bonus miles will post up to 7 days after promotion ends.
  • Displayed price includes all taxes.
  • Minimum purchase of 5,000 miles required for this promotion.
  • Miles are available in increments of 1,000 miles.
  • Purchase up to 100,000 miles per account per calendar year.
  • For Give Miles transactions, both purchased miles and bonus miles will post to the recipient's MileagePlus account.
  • Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
  • Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
  • Miles are nonrefundable.
  • Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
  • All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
Print Wikipost

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Is the lesson that there are not too many FTers out there ( and even fewer people doing MRuns )?

B/c some posters keep claiming that 1Ks are people who do countless LAX-EWR 2.5cpm MRuns and then turn around and book SFO-SIN leisure trips in SQ F, and who really really hurt UA's bottom line. . .
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:53 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
How funny would it be, after they've sold all these miles, for them to then announce a major mileage devaluation before EOY
You beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing. Imagine the uproar if UA did this. I'm thinking it could happen as we know some departments don't talk to other departments.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by royng
Yesterday night I saw options from 2,000 miles (around USD 77.xx) and above at 1,000 miles increment. I felt strange because I knew the rule is to purchase a min. of 5,000 miles.

I don't have it screen captured so can't put it here. I can only blame the .bomb.
If you do not use the link for this promo as listed in #1 and use Home > Mileage Plus > Buy or transfer miles > Personal Miles on the website instead, you get the 2,000 mile option, but won't get the bonus, I suspect. It offers 2000 miles for $75.25.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by joedish
B&C = Buy and Cancel. You can purchase a ticket and then use the mileage accelerator option to buy extra miles at a low cost. Then, within 24 hours of the ticket purchase, cancel it for a full refund. You keep the miles. Hence, Buy and Cancel, B&C.
Gotcha. Thanks

Originally Posted by Michael D
You are thinking about making a trip from SFO to HKG or some such trip in first or business. You buy the ticket. After you buy the ticket you will be given the opportunity to buy some miles. Normally these miles (all the times on such trips for me in first and business so far this year) are offered at 2.1 or 2.2 CPM. Although earlier in this thread 3.3 CPM was reported IIRC. If you want them BUY them. Later on before 24 hours has passed since you purchased the ticket you think about the trip again. If you don't want the ticket you CANCEL the ticket. Any miles you purchased will not be refunded and still be in your account. Your ticket purchase will be refunded in a week or two.
Ok, gotcha. Not something I'm likely to ever be able to do, since it involves the purchase of a business or first class ticket. Thanks though. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 4, 2013 at 11:25 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:14 pm

This is great! I am going to top off my account with 8k miles and upgrade my HNL-EWR flight to lie flat F.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:15 pm

How frequent are 60% bonuses like this?

Does anyone here know how often United offers this kind of a 60% bonus on the purchase of miles? (in other words, if I wait a couple months to see if I can earn the miles other ways, is there any chance they'd offer a similar points purchase bonus?)

Last edited by kevsunblush; Sep 4, 2013 at 10:20 pm Reason: accidentally double-posted, wanted to place a new post
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kevsunblush
Ok, gotcha. Not something I'm likely to ever be able to do, since it involves the purchase of a business or first class ticket. Thanks for the explanation, though.
Since you cancel within 24 hours after purchasing the RDMs and perhaps PQMs -- there is effectively no ticket cost.

Originally Posted by kevsunblush
Does anyone here know how often United offers this kind of a 60% bonus on the purchase of miles? ....
this is a first. The been other discount approaches in the past but the 60% is the best in some time.
But if you can get the 2.1cpm award accelerator, that's even better.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
This is very typical of the poorly executed and researched thought bubble that seems to typify United 2013.

They clearly want to sell as many miles for cash as they can. 60% off is well above what they offer day in and day out via Accelerator, so is no big deal to them, nor especially low.

This stupidly worded lottery type thing clearly has had masses of folks read it, decide it might be bait and switch etc or deceptive, and they move on and delete the email.

Opportunity lost. The new office boy dreamed up the idea perhaps. Jeffies pool boy perhaps?

We all get 100s of emails a day and had they said "BUY MILES FOR NEXT 3 DAYS, AND WE ADD a 60% BONUS TO WHAT YOU BUY" - masses more sales would have been made.

We all KNOW the final figure will magically be 60% but 99% of email recipients will not check back to see.
Well one prediction I made came true - it is now at 60%. As it always was going to be.

How many $$$ millions they'd have got extra if they sold the 60% bonus right at the get go is anyone's guess.

There was little 'Buzz' and the take up to now has been pretty abysmal globally as can be clearly seen.

As usual for ConUALL these days, another United barely half thought through idea of a mind bubble.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: United Gold
I really wish I could get in on this promo, but I'm saving every last cent for the 10k PQD requirement for next year. Blech.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The been other discount approaches in the past but the 60% is the best in some time.
That's not quite true. In Feb there was an offer for up to 40% discount (discount increasing with number of miles purchased). The 60% bonus is a 37.5% discount. Admittedly, 60% bonus seems like a better deal than 40% discount, but unfortunately it is not.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:58 pm

Wasn't there previously a 'processing fee' for purchasing miles, so that purchasing in larger quantities resulted in a lower CPM? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that here.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino

That's not quite true. In Feb there was an offer for up to 40% discount (discount increasing with number of miles purchased). The 60% bonus is a 37.5% discount. Admittedly, 60% bonus seems like a better deal than 40% discount, but unfortunately it is not.
Very true .... amazing what we can do with figures and percentages.

Anyway it is a good deal as I stated from post #1, just poorly advertised, and current Accelerator rates are well north of 2c a mile right now, as I discovered today - for me anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The 40% was targeted and you need to buy at least 50K RDMs to get full 40%
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ard-miles.html
So yes, that was a abetter deal for large purchases, just barely.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 40% was targeted and you need to buy at least 50K RDMs to get full 40%
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ard-miles.html
So yes, that was a abetter deal for large purchases, just barely.
Interestingly, the targeting of that offer was not actually in effect. I did not receive the offer, just used the link and entered my MP number.

Neither myself nor my wife received any email notification on this offer. I wonder how widely they promoted it.

I'm still wondering what will happen if I try to purchase some miles on this offer, even though I purchased a full 100,000 in Feb.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still wondering what will happen if I try to purchase some miles on this offer, even though I purchased a full 100,000 in Feb.
My hunch is Jeffy will send you TWO hand signed Christmas cards.

United does not care about enforcing these alleged rules in my view, they simply want CASH CASH CASH - the new Corporate logo.

As much and as fast as your credit card will offer.

The mere fact we can buy miles and credit them to any account we nominate means the annual cap is just meaningless boilerplate - IMHO.

You seem overly nervous as you keep posting this - simply sign up and see what occurs. If you think for ONE MOMENT these carpetbaggers will refund your purchase as you are over the limit .....................

As United have a sad history of pretending that clear promises on their website never existed - even to Million Milers, thought it wise to capture this just in case they take that tactic on this one!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 5, 2013 at 5:11 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.