Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Cheetah_SA
PROMO: Buy UA Miles and Earn Bonuses up to 60%

Offer ends today. Purchase miles and earn a bonus based on how many others purchase. The more people that purchase, the higher the bonus goes. Bonus has already reached 60%. Everyone who purchases gets the same bonus, so if the bonus was 45% when you purchased you will still receive the 60% bonus.

You can purchase a maximum of 100,000 miles (though the bonus is not included in that, so a a purchase of 100,000 miles still earns the full bonus).

Offer details: (via website)
  • To take advantage of this offer, you must use the order links on this page.
  • Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on September 5, 2013.
  • For a limited time, get a minimum of 30% bonus award miles and a maximum of 60% bonus award miles when you purchase miles via the above links.
  • Allow 48 hours for purchased miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account. Bonus miles will post up to 7 days after promotion ends.
  • Displayed price includes all taxes.
  • Minimum purchase of 5,000 miles required for this promotion.
  • Miles are available in increments of 1,000 miles.
  • Purchase up to 100,000 miles per account per calendar year.
  • For Give Miles transactions, both purchased miles and bonus miles will post to the recipient's MileagePlus account.
  • Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
  • Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
  • Miles are nonrefundable.
  • Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
  • All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
Print Wikipost

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I will hold out and see if it gets any higher....I have just burned through 320K worth of points. (plus another 1.25K on AA). Have some killer trips book in biz, but I just depleted the coffers.

Will wait 24 hours and see where it is at.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by IrishTex
As I am one of those Inexperienced Flyers (actually pretty experienced flyer - but quite inexperienced with the ins and outs of loyalty programs, the details of fare classes and award tickets...) - may i ask please what is a B&C ?

Thank you
Originally Posted by kevsunblush
What is B&C? How does one use this?

Does anyone here know how often United offers this kind of a bonus on the purchase of miles? Assuming it gets up to a 60% bonus (it just hit 45% -760 takers), is this the biggest bonus they typically give to non-elites on the purchase of miles? I ask because we're planning our flight back for February and the way I figure it, if we buy 28,000 miles for $1053, we'd get a bonus of 16,800 miles, giving us exactly the 48,000 miles we need to buy tickets for me, my wife, our 3-year-old and our lap infant.

That means we could all fly for $1053 + 260.40 (taxes, fees and infant ticket) = $1313. The next cheapest option (probably the one we'd have to use) is China Eastern, which has a one-way flight for $2256, plus whatever they want to tack on for the lap infant. At that rate, we'll be flying for half what we would pay otherwise. Sounds like a reasonable deal to those of us "inexperienced travelers" who will never be able to save enough miles for business class and won't be spending enough money on credit card purchases to justify signing up for yet another high-bonus credit card.

You are thinking about making a trip from SFO to HKG or some such trip in first or business. You buy the ticket. After you buy the ticket you will be given the opportunity to buy some miles. Normally these miles (all the times on such trips for me in first and business so far this year) are offered at 2.1 or 2.2 CPM. Although earlier in this thread 3.3 CPM was reported IIRC. If you want them BUY them. Later on before 24 hours has passed since you purchased the ticket you think about the trip again. If you don't want the ticket you CANCEL the ticket. Any miles you purchased will not be refunded and still be in your account. Your ticket purchase will be refunded in a week or two.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K
Ahhh.... Gotcha.
Cheers
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NC Flyer
I'm amazed at how small the numbers are. .....
Originally Posted by txp
Nice accounting move from UA. .... Watch the Q4 earnings!
I'm still amazed by the small numbers - over a day in and not a thousand takers yet. Q2 passenger revenue was $8+ billion. Sure, a few million from this is incremental revenue but it's a drop in the ocean - you would need a microscope to see the jump in Q4 earnings. But why should they care if a few more million miles are added to the liabilty sheet - they can just keep on devaluing them. Even less incentive for me to earn them from a revenue ticket.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The last figure I saw was there were about 64 million Mileage Plus members globally.

Nearly all of whom will have an email address logged to the account.

Even if we discount if to say a third of folks they have emails for - 2O MILLION, the take up rate should be tons better.

If this was a global email (we got it in oz) and if after a day or so they are not even up to 1000 takers things are grimmer than I thought with these cowboys!

As I posted earlier, of course it will 'magically' get up to 60% in 24 hours .. they want bucks pure and simple, but have not played this one too wisely.

The recent story of UA sadly. Lots of half worked out thought bubbles. The wording of this to the layman was pretty bad.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
created a wiki with info about it. Just info, not whether it's worth it or not, and didn't include cpm cost
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
... or they are playing a marketing game and just making up the numbers of "transactions"
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
so B&C means... ?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
Ah sure - so award accelerator (buy and cancel) - or as I just discovered - book award travel and then get offered 30k/45k
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by ozstamps
The last figure I saw was there were about 64 million Mileage Plus members globally.

Nearly all of whom will have an email address logged to the account.

Even if we discount if to say a third of folks they have emails for - 2O MILLION, the take up rate should be tons better.

Glen, do you know the take-up rate for the normal discount sales, e.g. 35% discount etc? I mean the take-up rate for the ordinary sales, not Award Accelerator.

(And congratulations on your logical switch to non-revenue travel.)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF ExLurker - to be honest only UA would really know, but I doubt they'd run them, unless a target of 8 figures a time in the bank ensued each time.

Its like the frenzy to sell credit card miles - UA has busted a gut for that tie in, with Visa card holders now with early boarding and some club access etc.

Real BIS Elites are of little interest to UA these days, as UA proved by their broken written promises to true Million Milers.

Selling miles is the biggest game in town. Instant heroin hit to the bottom line.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
QF ExLurker ....

Selling miles is the biggest game in town. Instant heroin hit to the bottom line.
I agree. But personally, I am just laying back and enjoying the drug hit as much as UA does. Business redemptions via Asia on quality (non-UA) carriers for a fraction of the revenue ticket cost.

And there is no benefit to having MP status when on a business award (other than avoiding/reducing the $75 late booking fee for award booking less than 21 days in advance.)
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I didn't get an email on this here in Japan, nor did my wife. Don't fly much and just happened by chance to look at the forum today.

I purchased 100,000 miles in Feb when they were 40% off (just a bit better CPM than a 60% bonus would be). Does anyone know what would happen if I tried to make a second purchase, meaning purchase more than 100,000 miles in a calendar year?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino

Does anyone know what would happen if I tried to make a second purchase, meaning purchase more than 100,000 miles in a calendar year?
My hunch is Jeffy will mail you a hand signed Xmas card.

Try it and see and report back - they can only say no.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
My hunch is Jeffy will mail you a hand signed Xmas card.

Try it and see and report back - they can only say no.
Little early for Christmas, but my birthday is coming up.

I will be tempted to try if it hits 60% bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.