Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2013, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Cheetah_SA
PROMO: Buy UA Miles and Earn Bonuses up to 60%

Offer ends today. Purchase miles and earn a bonus based on how many others purchase. The more people that purchase, the higher the bonus goes. Bonus has already reached 60%. Everyone who purchases gets the same bonus, so if the bonus was 45% when you purchased you will still receive the 60% bonus.

You can purchase a maximum of 100,000 miles (though the bonus is not included in that, so a a purchase of 100,000 miles still earns the full bonus).

Offer details: (via website)
  • To take advantage of this offer, you must use the order links on this page.
  • Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on September 5, 2013.
  • For a limited time, get a minimum of 30% bonus award miles and a maximum of 60% bonus award miles when you purchase miles via the above links.
  • Allow 48 hours for purchased miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account. Bonus miles will post up to 7 days after promotion ends.
  • Displayed price includes all taxes.
  • Minimum purchase of 5,000 miles required for this promotion.
  • Miles are available in increments of 1,000 miles.
  • Purchase up to 100,000 miles per account per calendar year.
  • For Give Miles transactions, both purchased miles and bonus miles will post to the recipient's MileagePlus account.
  • Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
  • Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
  • Miles are nonrefundable.
  • Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier status.
  • All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
Print Wikipost

Buy miles and receive up to 60% bonus PROMO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
With the PQD requirement, might as well make sure it counts towards PQD before handing over more thousands to UA's coffers.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wco81
With the PQD requirement, might as well make sure it counts towards PQD before handing over more thousands to UA's coffers.
There is no PQD requirement this year
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, but UA actually has to fly people who buy tickets around and incur much higher costs than what these run. Incremental revenue is precisely that: incremental.

If you believe that the airlines pay out the revenue fare rates on award tickets then I've got a bridge to sell you.

They know exactly what their partner award costs are and what their points valuations are internally and how to structure the award charts so as to not lose money on those efforts.
Do we know yet if buying Award Accelerator Miles are consider in the PQD for 2014 and 2015 +?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
It is not. Early adopters will also get the highest bonus.
Where does it say early adopters will get the highest bonus? e.g. if the 1501th person buys 5k miles, everyone that's bought so far will get a 60% bonus, no? so early adopters are taking all teh risk.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, but UA actually has to fly people who buy tickets around and incur much higher costs than what these run. Incremental revenue is precisely that: incremental.
This. United believes it can make some extra money selling miles (it can). This is simply a promotion to try to stimulate extra buying, just like all the others they run at various times.

Yes, savvy FTers realize that there are better ways to buy miles than this.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by enbyan
Where does it say early adopters will get the highest bonus? e.g. if the 1501th person buys 5k miles, everyone that's bought so far will get a 60% bonus, no? so early adopters are taking all teh risk.
Yes. It's oddly structured to stimulate activity because it creates a sizable collective action problem. Assuming you think the 60% bonus is a good deal (or even something short of that) you have little incentive to buy early because you can see whether the rate gets better later.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:31 pm

In the UC right now and the guy next to me at the bar happened to bring this up. He asked about buying 100,000 miles, do you still get any bonus considering you can only buy 100K max a year? I didn't have an answer for him.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:37 pm

i think u can buy up to 100k, and you'll still be entitled to whatever bonus level it ends up clocking.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
In the UC right now and the guy next to me at the bar happened to bring this up. He asked about buying 100,000 miles, do you still get any bonus considering you can only buy 100K max a year? I didn't have an answer for him.

Thoughts?
Yes, because its a bonus, you're not buying.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:07 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Smart move to increase revenue

Nice accounting move from UA. I bet you that the proceeds will be booked as revenue, while the miles that will be created (or Fed-style "printed") by this exercise will be reported as liabilities at the rate of 1 cent/mile. Watch the Q4 earnings!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just hit 45%

(Sorry, not buying myself but fun to watch)

Last edited by Baze; Sep 3, 2013 at 8:32 pm
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K
Originally Posted by Michael D
Best rate could be 2.352 CPM
Better rates are always available to anyone using B&C

This topic and offer is only interesting to Inexperienced Flyers, people who like to beat dead horses and people who like to comment on people beating dead hoarse (Moi?).

As I am one of those Inexperienced Flyers (actually pretty experienced flyer - but quite inexperienced with the ins and outs of loyalty programs, the details of fare classes and award tickets...) - may i ask please what is a B&C ?

Thank you
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by enbyan
No. the e-mail stated
For three days only, buy award miles and receive a minimum of 30% bonus miles. The more people who buy miles, the higher your 30% bonus can climb – up to 60%.
The web site states
If enough people buy miles, everyone's bonus will climb to 60%
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:06 pm

From the "inexperienced flyer"

Originally Posted by Michael D
Best rate could be 2.352 CPM
Better rates are always available to anyone using B&C

This topic and offer is only interesting to Inexperienced Flyers, people who like to beat dead horses and people who like to comment on people beating dead hoarse (Moi?).
What is B&C? How does one use this?

Does anyone here know how often United offers this kind of a bonus on the purchase of miles? Assuming it gets up to a 60% bonus (it just hit 45% -760 takers), is this the biggest bonus they typically give to non-elites on the purchase of miles? I ask because we're planning our flight back for February and the way I figure it, if we buy 28,000 miles for $1053, we'd get a bonus of 16,800 miles, giving us exactly the 48,000 miles we need to buy tickets for me, my wife, our 3-year-old and our lap infant.

That means we could all fly for $1053 + 260.40 (taxes, fees and infant ticket) = $1313. The next cheapest option (probably the one we'd have to use) is China Eastern, which has a one-way flight for $2256, plus whatever they want to tack on for the lap infant. At that rate, we'll be flying for half what we would pay otherwise. Sounds like a reasonable deal to those of us "inexperienced travelers" who will never be able to save enough miles for business class and won't be spending enough money on credit card purchases to justify signing up for yet another high-bonus credit card.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Air France Gold, Emirates Gold, former UA 1K, Marriott/Ritz Gold, Hyatt Diamond...
Originally Posted by IrishTex
As I am one of those Inexperienced Flyers (actually pretty experienced flyer - but quite inexperienced with the ins and outs of loyalty programs, the details of fare classes and award tickets...) - may i ask please what is a B&C ?

Thank you
wonder that too - no B&C in the glossary... maybe something around fabricated spend on cc ?

this being said - seeing this potential inflation I decided to book my Jan award trip ahead of the masses and I was surprised that after I booked I can get award accelerator to sell me 45k miles for ... funny I just double checked - it was at 2.1 cpm this morning and is now at 2.3 cpm ! when I calculated this morning that was better than even if we hit 60% but now hitting 60% would be marginally cheaper than that - with the benefit that you can just easily buy 100+60k miles instead of 45 at a time

ps: at 45% right now - not bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.