Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnieZ
Alternatively, have self served soft drinks?

Yeah, right...
That is not a bad idea. A la Lufthansa. Self serve soft AND hard drinks. Never a line, never a bartender to slow you down, and people seem to drink responsibly there.

Oh wait, but then they couldn't charge you for the drinks. I almost forget this is United. Never mind.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fjfv19
It's called the United Club, not the United Library. I don't know what Club you frequent where there are "drunkards around the bar", but not everyone who drinks is a drunkard.
I'm Air Canada *G.

I usually get a drink or two when I pass through a UC. Like CaptainMiles, I'm looking for a quiet place to work, and like The Captain, I too am often surprised by the number of drunks I encounter at the bar in the UCs.

Seems like in many cases the 'drunkards' are UC regulars well-known to the bartender.

...I can't recall ever seeing this in an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, and at MLLs all the liquor is free and self-service.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I just sent my letter to Chase. I can hardly justify keeping my credit card as I no longer consider the UA club membership to be a benefit. If something doesn't happen to improve things I will cancel my card, or downgrade it if possible, and use my annual fee to get a glass of wine pre-flight from one of the terminal bars. I've seen nice wine bars opening and although they are often crowded, it is a better value. I'll save money too. Aren't they worried about people getting sick with the quality of the liquor they are serving??? Oh, that's right. This is United I am talking about.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JohnnieZ
Alternatively, have self served soft drinks?

Yeah, right...
Some of the lounges do have coolers with cans of pop.. Certainly wish more would have that feature.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I know I will get flamed, but here goes...

I don't drink. One of the most displeasing aspects of the lounge are the drunkards around the bar. During busy times they hog the entire bar space, they are sometimes loud, and the bartenders pay all the attention to them because that is where the tips come from. If you want just to get a soft drink, it is difficult to approach the bar and get the bartender's attention. Having fewer people around the bar will be a Good Thing.

I go to the lounges for some quiet away from the terminal crowds, for a place to sit, and for wifi. Unfortunately, at peak times the lounges seem just as packed as the terminal. It's hard to find a quiet place to sit (or sometimes any seat at all), and the wifi can be slow. If many people, as evidenced by this thread, cancel or let expire their UC memberships, there will be fewer people in the lounges. More free seats, faster wifi. Another Good Thing.

So if UA doesn't botch the wifi too badly with the new authentication, perhaps this will actually be a change I will like. For a change.
I frequent many of the clubs and I would not say every club is packed with loud and obnoxious drunkards, however I get your point.

My thought though is there are other ways to make the Club more exclusive rather than downgrading the product.

A restaurant may complain they can't turn tables quick enough because people sit and enjoy themselves. So they raise the corkage fee dramatically to regulate patronage. They probably won't have that problem anymore because their patron's went elsewhere.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
When you give everyone with the credit card you are pushing, access to the club, you lose $ on booze.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Another great CS response:

Hello Mr. fjfv19,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the recent changes to our beverage services at our United Club lounges. Our member's feedback is often used as inspiration when making improvements and changes to our lounge experience.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help.

Regards,

[REDACTED]
MileagePlus® Service Director

Bolded portion - NO! NO! No more improvements! That's not what I said!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
The responses get shorter

Thank you for contacting United Club.
Hello Mr. WOOFLY,
Your feedback is important to us and is being forwarded for review.

I appreciate your loyalty.

Regards,

[REDACTED]
United Club
The responses continue to get shorter. I also sent the message to 1Kvoice lets see if their response is similar may be a few days though.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by gglave
I'm Air Canada *G.

I usually get a drink or two when I pass through a UC. Like CaptainMiles, I'm looking for a quiet place to work, and like The Captain, I too am often surprised by the number of drunks I encounter at the bar in the UCs.

Seems like in many cases the 'drunkards' are UC regulars well-known to the bartender.

...I can't recall ever seeing this in an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, and at MLLs all the liquor is free and self-service.
+1... Not really a problem in either the LH lounges or the Qantas lounges I used to frequent.. both self service..
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
Response from Chase

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I just sent my letter to Chase. I can hardly justify keeping my credit card as I no longer consider the UA club membership to be a benefit. If something doesn't happen to improve things I will cancel my card, or downgrade it if possible, and use my annual fee to get a glass of wine pre-flight from one of the terminal bars. I've seen nice wine bars opening and although they are often crowded, it is a better value. I'll save money too. Aren't they worried about people getting sick with the quality of the liquor they are serving??? Oh, that's right. This is United I am talking about.
Got a response from Chase:

Dear dogloverjb,

Thank you for contacting Chase about your United
MileagePlus account ending in xxxx.

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide the
feedback regarding the complimentary liquors and changes
made at the United Clubs. I regret that we are unable to
provide you with a favorable outcome at this time. I have
submitted all of your feedback to the appropriate
department for further review.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your
concerns with us. As a result of comments such as yours,
Chase is able to gain more insight as to how well
customers feel they are being serviced. We welcome your
ongoing feedback and will continue to work hard to meet
your needs in the future.

It is important to us that you are completely satisfied
with your account. I have gladly added 5,000 miles to your
United MileagePlus account. The miles will become
available within 3 business days from your September 22,
2013 billing statement.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your continued
patronage with your United MileagePlus card since 2009,
and for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please
reply using the Secure Message Center, or call the number
listed below.

Thank you,
-----
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
Got a response from Chase:

Dear dogloverjb,

Thank you for contacting Chase about your United
MileagePlus account ending in xxxx.

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide the
feedback regarding the complimentary liquors and changes
made at the United Clubs. I regret that we are unable to
provide you with a favorable outcome at this time. I have
submitted all of your feedback to the appropriate
department for further review.

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your
concerns with us. As a result of comments such as yours,
Chase is able to gain more insight as to how well
customers feel they are being serviced. We welcome your
ongoing feedback and will continue to work hard to meet
your needs in the future.

It is important to us that you are completely satisfied
with your account. I have gladly added 5,000 miles to your
United MileagePlus account. The miles will become
available within 3 business days from your September 22,
2013 billing statement.

Please accept my sincere thanks for your continued
patronage with your United MileagePlus card since 2009,
and for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please
reply using the Secure Message Center, or call the number
listed below.

Thank you,
-----
At least it was an attempt at a response (and not a canned response)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just fired off an email to 1KVoice. This was the auto reply.

Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Our Customer Care team is currently responding to most inquiries within 14-21 business days. If your message is regarding an upcoming trip, a baggage delay or about our MileagePlus frequent flyer program, please refer to our helpful links below. We look forward to assisting you.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fjfv19
Another great CS response:

Hello Mr. fjfv19,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. We’re glad to hear from you.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the recent changes to our beverage services at our United Club lounges. Our member's feedback is often used as inspiration when making improvements and changes to our lounge experience.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help.

Regards,

[REDACTED]
MileagePlus® Service Director
(
I got the same response, verbatim.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
Originally Posted by joshwex90
At least it was an attempt at a response (and not a canned response)
May I ask what email address/contact info you use? I am Pres Plus cardholder and would like to forward a similar complaint.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I know I will get flamed, but here goes...

I don't drink. One of the most displeasing aspects of the lounge are the drunkards around the bar. During busy times they hog the entire bar space, they are sometimes loud, and the bartenders pay all the attention to them because that is where the tips come from. If you want just to get a soft drink, it is difficult to approach the bar and get the bartender's attention. Having fewer people around the bar will be a Good Thing.

I go to the lounges for some quiet away from the terminal crowds, for a place to sit, and for wifi. Unfortunately, at peak times the lounges seem just as packed as the terminal. It's hard to find a quiet place to sit (or sometimes any seat at all), and the wifi can be slow. If many people, as evidenced by this thread, cancel or let expire their UC memberships, there will be fewer people in the lounges. More free seats, faster wifi. Another Good Thing.

So if UA doesn't botch the wifi too badly with the new authentication, perhaps this will actually be a change I will like. For a change.
Why don't you write United and ask them to raise the annual fee for United Clubs to $2,000 per year. You should find that change to be a Very Good Thing since that will take care of your perceived drunkard problem and also free up plenty of seats for you in the clubs. It will become a library-like experience that I'm sure you would be willing to pay for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.