Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 5khours
Honestly, when these seats came out everybody thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.... and IMHO they still are one of the best seats around especially if you're planning on sleeping.
I really like the pmUA seat for sleeping. I slept better on the UD of a 744 than on the SQ or LX 340 - and those are considered two of the very best J seats on the market.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Recently flew Business First EWR/MXP/EWR on UAL 19/18. Sat with my daughter in Seats 6k and 6L. These seats are in "no man's land" in terms of service. On both legs, neither the FAs working the forward galley or those working the galley between BF and Economy gave us menus or took orders until after takeoff (everyone else's order was taken before takeoff). We were the last to be served- 60 minutes after takeoff from EWR and my request for Executive Service was ignored. On return from MXP, I was told after takeoff that two of four selections were gone. Told FA as GS, I thought I was to be asked first about dining selections. I let them know I was not too happy with this outcome. She worked some magic and we got the dishes we wanted. Lesson is to avoid these seats.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by manstein58
Lesson is to avoid these seats.
I think it's the crew, not the seat selectin. I've had good crews and I've had bad crews. It doesn't seem to matter where I'm sitting.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:29 am

and IMHO they still are one of the best seats around especially if you're planning on sleeping.
This. x1000, especially in a rear-facing seat.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Last resort

Having flown Swiss and ANA C either PRE or post UAproducts are terrible. Unless I can upgrade to GF, I'll always try and fly Star Alliance carriers.
This way I get150% bonus miles and I get to get a great nights sleep.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tomj888
Having flown Swiss and ANA C either PRE or post UAproducts are terrible. Unless I can upgrade to GF, I'll always try and fly Star Alliance carriers.
Note that airlines that aren't part of an ATI with United (such as SQ, TK, OZ, TG, SA, etc.) won't get you the 50% class of service bonus now.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hyperbole much?

I found the LX cabin very attractive and the single window seats are much more private than anything UA offers in C. But frankly the bed was not as comfortable as pmUA - less padding and a lump where the seatback and cushion meet. There was also quite a bit more aisle traffic than you get on the upper deck of the 744. So for sleeping, I would have to say pmUA wins hands down.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I upgrade.

UNITED business seats are better than Economy. There should be zero disagreement on that.

I fly ps. The new flatbed seats on the 757-200 are too short for me at 6'1" and the padding is hard. Making a good nights rest elusive. The seat also seemed a bit short on the 767-400.

The PMUA seats are easier on my back. They have more padding. I care little about viewing or being viewed by a seatmate. I don't need to be segregated.

People are just haters. It always has to be something and its always absolute.

I'm glad I'm not in economy.

YMMV
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
On *A, I have flown UA, AC, TG, NH, LH, TK, LX, and SQ in J. There are some differences depending on the aircraft, but in general I prefer the LX and SQ seats over sUA. Compared to all the others, I prefer the sUA seat since for me, it's much better for sleeping.

Like tomj, however, I always try to fly *A but for exactly the opposite reason, which is that TG, NH, LH, LX and SQ all have better F seats than sUA.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:44 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
After one EWR-HNL in coach, any BF is infinitely better, so I don't hate the BF product at all, either sCO or the new UA.
Exactly. BF is good by definition.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
On the good side, the pm-UA seat has a nice IFE system with a good screen and a fairly good collection of programs. It is also good that it lies flat.

As I see it, there are many negatives:
- There is NO under-seat storage. As a business traveler, this is highly inconvenient, as I need access to my laptop to work during the flight (it sometimes is quite awhile until you are "allowed" to get your bag, per the seatbelt sign)
- The seats themselves and the area around it are incredibly narrow. This makes it hard to work and hard to sleep when you feel that the person next to you is in your personal space
- The 2-4-2 seating configuration with TWO middle seats (some of which face backwards) is insulting. $8000 for a backward facing middle seat? How is this acceptable?
- I hate flying backwards -- it is okay while in the air but I find it pretty nauseating during taxing, takeoffs, and landing
- There is hardly room to store a magazine, nonetheless a book or an Ipad. The seats do not seem to have been designed to accommodate business travelers at all
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I love backwards, you actually flat now inverted due to the nose high pitch in cruise
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hyperbole much?

I found the LX cabin very attractive and the single window seats are much more private than anything UA offers in C. But frankly the bed was not as comfortable as pmUA - less padding and a lump where the seatback and cushion meet. There was also quite a bit more aisle traffic than you get on the upper deck of the 744. So for sleeping, I would have to say pmUA wins hands down.
This. I consider myself a seat snob -- I care very much about width, padding, footwell size, and privacy -- and the LX C hard product is only mildly better than UA's offering overall. Yes, LX is obviously way ahead in the privacy department, but from a sleeping comfort perspective, give me a PMCO BF bulkhead or a PMUA aisle/window rear-facing BF seat any day of the week. LX C has fairly rigid seats, and they seemingly reclined a bit too low to the floor for my liking.

Also, LX C's soft product is nothing to write home about. Food was basically on par with UA; while LX service was professional, it was impersonal and very, how do I put this, German. Conversely, on UA, a majority of my C flights over 18 years (largely ORD/IAD/EWR-TATL) have been serviced by a warm and smiling crew that seemed genuinely happy to serve. Things aren't as great these days; like others, I've had several subpar C crews over the past year, but they're the exceptions. All in all, given my admittedly limited LX C experience (one ZRH-JFK roundtrip in 2012), I'd put the overall LX C product as mildly better than UA C.

On *A, I have flown UA, AC, TG, NH, LH, TK, LX, and SQ in J. There are some differences depending on the aircraft, but in general I prefer the LX and SQ seats over sUA. Compared to all the others, I prefer the sUA seat since for me, it's much better for sleeping.
Have you tried the new LH J seat? My colleague recently tried it on the upper deck of the 748 and was impressed by the hard product (soft, not so much).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
i prefer the PMCO seats unless on in the upper deck of the 747. Some people dont know how good they have it. Air Canada has horrific business class seats that are called coffins.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I love backwards, you actually flat now inverted due to the nose high pitch in cruise
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.