Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:58 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by ncc1701v
Personally I don't like the narrow footwell at all. I like to sleep somewhat on my side, and I like to move my legs around relative to each other, both of which are impossible. Finally, the seat's leg rest sometimes doesn't come up to the level of the footwell. Since you can't move your legs around much, that can be hard on my knees.
I've always been a fan of sitting in the upstairs area on a 747. It always seems like the service is a little more person. I also don't feel nearly as guilty about the suffering that 310 persons in the back of the plane are experiencing.

But my question is... how much difference is there between the pitch upstairs and downstairs? I understand that there is a difference. If you're 5'10", do your feet end up down in the footwell? I know that is the case upstairs. But if that's the only thing upstairs that I have to complain about, I can easily live with it.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAD22066
But my question is... how much difference is there between the pitch upstairs and downstairs? I understand that there is a difference. If you're 5'10", do your feet end up down in the footwell? I know that is the case upstairs. But if that's the only thing upstairs that I have to complain about, I can easily live with it.
IIRC it's 3" difference? I have an inch on you, and in the UD I've never had any issues w/seat length.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: United Gold
After one EWR-HNL in coach, any BF is infinitely better, so I don't hate the BF product at all, either sCO or the new UA.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
After one EWR-HNL in coach, any BF is infinitely better, so I don't hate the BF product at all, either sCO or the new UA.
I totally agree, and if "Everyone Hated" BF there wouldn't be any g/a's to "Hate"
once the upgrade listed cleared and all the "Mad Haters" are still parked in steerage!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
The best business seats in the world for someone who upgrades?

Since I believe the majority who come to FT upgrade their flights instead of purchasing the seats, united J seats are the best. It is flat, implemented throughout the fleet and with with adequate planning, relatively available. Fewer seats with isle access to all would be a disaster. The complaints of failed upgrades here would go through the roof. Be careful what you which for.

For those who pay for Business, unless there is a cheaper fare, I am not sure why they would chose UA. Maybe it is to get status to upgrade later, which would return to my original premise.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I did mean "hate ON UA BF": and not "hate UA BF"

Thanks for the responses - it's most interesting how people feel on these issues and it's clear that even when the objective product evaluation is widely shared by all flyers (narrower footwells in sCO BF, for example, vs sUA BF) the value of the tradeoffs differs.

I'd like to point out that my thread title was changed, for no reason that I can see (I didn't call it :-: best in class :-: for example which seems to provoke mod reaction even though this phrase is not mine).

"Why does everybody hate ON the UA BF product" - which was what I asked - is not the same question as "why does everybody HATE the UA BF product"?

In the internet age, to HATE ON, means to criticize vociferously on internet boards such as this.

To HATE means to dislike very strongly.

I doubt that many people very strongly dislike UA J in a vacuum and my question was meant to mean, why do so many UA (and other) flyers HATE ON (criticize UA J so much) but yet show appreciation of and use the product (evidence: they fly UA to become 1K or GS when they could presumably choose other product at least some of the time)?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by redtailshark
"Why does everybody hate ON the UA BF product" - which was what I asked - is not the same question as "why does everybody HATE the UA BF product"?
"The food here is terrible. And such small portions." Woody Allen.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IainC
Quality review of an sUA 747 trip using photos of an sCO 767 cabin...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by redtailshark

In the internet age, to HATE ON, means to criticize vociferously on internet boards such as this.

To HATE means to dislike very strongly.
Mea culpa -- I'd never heard that and sincerely thought the original title contained a typo. It'll be fixed by the time yu read this... I guess I need to get out more often
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by convert
[.....]For those who pay for Business, unless there is a cheaper fare, I am not sure why they would chose UA. Maybe it is to get status to upgrade later, which would return to my original premise.
Two reasons:
1. employer has negotiated contract with UA and Star Alliance for J fares
2. it's the route. From SFO to all over the world - PEK, PVG, HKG, NRT, PAR, LON - can get there nonstop.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by C4T
Having flown PMUA and PMCO configurations, my opinion is that PMUA is the inferior design. Honestly, 4 across in BF is rubbish. Plus the PMUA 20" seat width is narrower than PMCO and again in my opinion less comfortable. PMUA is nothing more than an economy seat - narrow and uncomfortable.
I think you need to sit in a real Y seat a couple of times and come back and report to us again!

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I like the CO business seat better than the UA seat, provided that I can get a bulkhead seat on CO. Otherwise, the miniature size footwell is a deal breaker for me.
omg THANK YOU for reminding me- need to check my upcoming NRT-EWR flight!

I can sleep comfortably in either seat, but there are many aspects that could be designed better. I have a slight preference for the pmCO seat but still find the padding on a pmUA flight better for sleeping.

What really sets a particular flight apart? The attitude of the FA's. When they are happy, flying is a joy. When they decide to impart their bad day on you, you hate the airline. Here I find both pmCO and pmUA are doing better this year compared to last and I sure hope it continues.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
A few comments.

1. We did poll on the UA forum just a short time back. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

48% preferred the sCO J seat, 45% preferred the sUA J seat, 7% were indifferent so clearly the definitive statements by some posters about a particular seat being better or inferior are off base. It's largely a matter or personal preference.

2. Both AA and DL are a long way from having full flat bed across their entire fleet. UA was miles ahead of the competition on putting in flat bed seats.

3. Direct aisle access is nice, but a lot of people will prefer a more comfortable seat over having direct aisle access. I'm sure if we did a poll, many people would prefer sUA seats to competitors like DL,NH,TG, LH, etc.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Because the whole BF name is ludicrous. It's a business class seat and there's no need for any reference to First in there.
Before the merger, CO fanboys would argue until they were blue in the face that it was a "hybrid" product. One of the most ridiculous arguments ever.

AC is worse tho, they call their mediocre business class "executive first"

I agree with the upgrade comments, BF is fine if it's an upgrade from Y, but if you are paying (especially your own) money for it where options exist, you need your head examined
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Before the merger, CO fanboys would argue until they were blue in the face that it was a "hybrid" product. One of the most ridiculous arguments ever.

AC is worse tho, they call their mediocre business class "executive first"

I agree with the upgrade comments, BF is fine if it's an upgrade from Y, but if you are paying (especially your own) money for it where options exist, you need your head examined
The name also causes confusion among customers. Traveling internationally in the BusinessFirst cabin does not allow access to GlobalFirst lounges, etc.

"But I am traveling First Class...."
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by convert
For those who pay for Business, unless there is a cheaper fare, I am not sure why they would chose UA. Maybe it is to get status to upgrade later, which would return to my original premise.
1. Because if you're tall/wide, it's one of the most comfortable seat/beds out there.

2. If you traveling with someone, you can actually see and talk to your companion.

3. UGs to GF

4. Award tickets in UA GF

5. Award tickets in international F on many *A carriers.

6. Good award availability.

7. Routes.

8. Get to watch JSMI videos....NOT

Honestly, when these seats came out everybody thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.... and IMHO they still are one of the best seats around especially if you're planning on sleeping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.