Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does everybody hate on the UA BF product?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'm sure it was a great name for those times. Using now though is just silly.
BusinessUpgrade ? and GlobalUpgradeFirst
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I like the UA C seat. It is a nice upgrade over the barcaloungers. The IFE is really nice and available from the time you sit down till you deplane. The hard product of the seat IMO is good. Stepping over seatmates etc. is a tradeoff of having more C seats.

Being a leisure traveler and a 1k, I need to make my W fares and GPU's work. The more C seats to upgrade into the better for me. I like the lie flat and the IFE for sure. The more of them for us the better.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by schley
I like the UA C seat. It is a nice upgrade over the barcaloungers. The IFE is really nice and available from the time you sit down till you deplane. The hard product of the seat IMO is good. Stepping over seatmates etc. is a tradeoff of having more C seats.

Being a leisure traveler and a 1k, I need to make my W fares and GPU's work. The more C seats to upgrade into the better for me. I like the lie flat and the IFE for sure. The more of them for us the better.
I like the UA C seat too - it's great! Yes I don't like to get stuck in the middle in a 2-4-2 configuration, but my upgrade percentage internationally is excellent this year, and I'll gladly take a "middle" seat if I have to! (haven't had to yet!)

And, I don't get it - if you are 6 feet like me (or inseam >31" at least), it is certainly possible to climb over the sleeping person next to you without touching them (and I'm over 60). Hold on to the divider in front of you, get up on your toes, and lift your legs high as you step over! If you can't do this movement, get yourself to the gym. I'm kidding a bit here, but it's really not a huge deal.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
What I dislike about the PMUA C seats (never been on PMCO) is the lack of storage and the width. I'm not what you'd call a POS but at 6'2 and ~220lbs, I have unfortunately enough shoulder width that the seats are quite cramped when flat. and IIRC there's a bit more width on the 747 vs. the 777, so that helps. The middle 4 are great for families but not exactly a premium experience in terms of privacy for a business traveler.

The other issue of course in an aisle seat is that if you look up, you're pretty much staring at the person in the next row across the aisle. Hard to avoid; I think the BA config does a decent job of mitigating this but since I'm always in an A/K seat there I don't know firsthand!

FWIW I do like the rear-facing seats, particularly UD windows
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
pmUA is definitely cattle-class C. pmCO is at least a comfortable product and can compete with some premier C lie flats. I'm just glad they don't have LH angled lie flats. I find those annoying.

2-4-2 in a 747/777 is a bit insulting given where pmUA metal competes. LAX/SFO-NRT routes vs NH make UA look like a bench. Even connecting flight plans from Asia to NYC vs AC are a no brainer. pmUA can't compete with NH 1-2-1, AC 1-2-1 herringbone (my favorite), or even LX 1-2-2: they are all the same price. It was nice to see the 787 go with pmCO C product.

...and to anyone who says the food is good on UA C, I just got back from a LAX-EWR flight where I had the Osso Buco-style Chicken. I'm still treating my food poisoning.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I like the CO business seat better than the UA seat, provided that I can get a bulkhead seat on CO. Otherwise, the miniature size footwell is a deal breaker for me.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I like the CO business seat better than the UA seat, provided that I can get a bulkhead seat on CO. Otherwise, the miniature size footwell is a deal breaker for me.
+1 - that's the #1 criterion for me in comparing them
Old Aug 25, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by C4T
Having flown PMUA and PMCO configurations, my opinion is that PMUA is the inferior design. Honestly, 4 across in BF is rubbish. Plus the PMUA 20" seat width is narrower than PMCO and again in my opinion less comfortable. PMUA is nothing more than an economy seat - narrow and uncomfortable.
You're welcome to come join me down the back of the bus in the actual economy seats...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by seanp7
[....]
On UA, they're ahead of the other (US) carrier, IMO.
[....]
UA is farther ahead in terms of getting lie-flats on the entire fleet, but the product is sub-par. I've flown pmDL for years from Detroit, and DL upgrade is wider, softer, all-aisle access. Attendant service is slightly better than UA, although some UA crews (seemingly usually from LAX) do outshine many others.

Originally Posted by spin88
Also I don't know how "hit or miss" it is. DL has retrofitted entirely several of their fleets with a far far better hard product, and DL has better soft product. Since I know the routes that this is on, if I am buying J on those routes, I would prefer to take DL. Ditto the AA 77W routes.
+1 Where DL has it, its J product is MUCH better than any other US carrier.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
+1 - that's the #1 criterion for me in comparing them
+ another 1. Whoever designed the UA business seat with no foot-area storage must have been crazy! I have always wondered what drove that design decision. The 787 with the CO seat solves that problem, but still doesn't solve the aisle-access issue.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 25, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:44 pm

I never hate any business class product when the alternative is sitting in economy. However, whoever thought that a business class middle seat was a good idea should never have been allowed to implement the 2-4-2 seating on the sUA 777s.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I never hate any business class product when the alternative is sitting in economy. However, whoever thought that a business class middle seat was a good idea should never have been allowed to implement the 2-4-2 seating on the sUA 777s.
While I agree with you every time I see that middle set of four, it's really nt much different that a 2-2 business class layout on a single-aisle airplane. Each of the middle passengers has one person to cross over to get to the aisle.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
While I agree with you every time I see that middle set of four, it's really nt much different that a 2-2 business class layout on a single-aisle airplane. Each of the middle passengers has one person to cross over to get to the aisle.
Not to mention the window pax in the 2-x-2 widebodies...
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I would be happy to have either configuration on the iah-hnl route. Anything that is flat means sleep, and everything else is details. UA can put the 242 config on that route if its not wanted elsewhere
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Personally I don't like the narrow footwell at all. I like to sleep somewhat on my side, and I like to move my legs around relative to each other, both of which are impossible. Finally, the seat's leg rest sometimes doesn't come up to the level of the footwell. Since you can't move your legs around much, that can be hard on my knees.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The name dates from the 90s when CO did away with F.
That's clearly understood and worked THEN. It is no longer relevant and, IMHO, should be eliminated.

How about calling it Business class (fancy that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.