Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gnetwerker
That is curious. Award upgrades are possibly the best $ per mile use of MP miles, followed by international C. I just booked tix to PEK in C that would have cost me over $10k. I spent 60k miles. $0.17/mile isn't the best I've done, but it isn't bad. Of course, if you don't value F or C at all, I guess it's a different decision.
Exactly, the only worth I find in F/C seats are that they arrive at the destination gate a few seconds before the rest of the aircraft. Thus, I would neither spend miles or money for F/C.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
~ 3.5MM mileage balance... I have burned some ~3.5MM over the past 15 years or so... So I have "banked" at least 7MM miles since 1998.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
~ 3.5MM mileage balance... I have burned some ~3.5MM over the past 15 years or so... So I have "banked" at least 7MM miles since 1998.
Let me guess - miles are earned from full fare C/F, right?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Exactly, the only worth I find in F/C seats are that they arrive at the destination gate a few seconds before the rest of the aircraft. Thus, I would neither spend miles or money for F/C.
I think a lot of people feel that way... or more precisely they don't think it's worth spending the miles/ money for a better seat. I'm exactly the opposite, I'd probably cut my travel by 80% if I had to fly in Y.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by 5khours
I think a lot of people feel that way... or more precisely they don't think it's worth spending the miles/ money for a better seat. I'm exactly the opposite, I'd probably cut my travel by 80% if I had to fly in Y.
Exactly the same.

Only about 15% of my travel is for business, and all of that is within California. That's the only time I fly Y ... if I do not get upgraded.

The rest of my travel is personal ... and I buy discounted C or GF. Because my personal travel is flexible, I will not book a trip if I am not guaranteed to be in C (at least) or GF.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:59 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Exactly the same.

Only about 15% of my travel is for business, and all of that is within California. That's the only time I fly Y ... if I do not get upgraded.

The rest of my travel is personal ... and I buy discounted C or GF. Because my personal travel is flexible, I will not book a trip if I am not guaranteed to be in C (at least) or GF.
I wonder how many people are in the same boat. (Mixed metaphor). I used to fly DL. Typically 150k BIS with a spend of about $20k annually. Then they jacked up their J fares and it made it impossible to UG, I cut my travel to about 60K BIS and maybe $5k spend. After a year I switched to UA. Because of discount fares, UGs and awards, I travel a lot more... 300k BIS with a spend of $80k or $90K.

I don't know if the carriers realize that for some customers, travel is very discretionary.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
What's your MileagePus Balance?

Just out of curiosity, what's your MP balance today and where do you envision it in 12 months?

I'm sitting on 900K miles and I hope to be at close to ZERO Jan 1, 2015. I have no idea if my balance is atypical or not.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It's 250K less than it was when the Great Devaluation was announced ;-)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm down to 106K right now, but we just had a fabulous trip to Japan...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by sogboulder
It's 250K less than it was when the Great Devaluation was announced ;-)
I'm down to 705K after booking a couple of trips yesterday to Bali and Thailand. All flights on *A partners, which would be cost prohibitive after February 1st, 2014. And I'm still looking for additional award trips to book before doomsday hits.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA US
Zero. I gave away about 300,000 miles out of disgust with UA's service failures of a couple summers ago coupled with their discontinuation of some routes/connex that I liked.

Lately, however, there are signs of improvement and I'm willing to try UA again.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
approx 400k, soon to be 0 and never replenished again until mileageminus is worth more relatively than aadvantage. fortunately not bound by any single carrier since I live in a large city

edit: noticed in the title you called it MileagePUS. Good description
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exmike
approx 400k, soon to be 0 and never replenished again until mileageminus is worth more relatively than aadvantage. fortunately not bound by any single carrier since I live in a large city

edit: noticed in the title you called it MileagePUS. Good description
Oh cr*p! I fat fingered that one (subconsciously perhaps??)

MODS please feel free to correct the typo
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
986! I burned them all this past summer on *A partner travel(I try not to let them accumulate for long) and am now happy I did so. I'm not sure I'm going to rebuild at this point, as the types of trips I've used them for in the past won't be possible any more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.