Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
You're not serious, are you?

I have 359 miles in UA, and 400k in UR
I regularly fly a minimum of 300-400,000 miles per year and have in the past reached 500,000. Most of the miles are credit card spends always 7 figures.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by aacharya
I have ~200K, but usually cycle between 50K and 300K, as I have parents who are now spoiled flying back home to KTM in C.
You mean because F is not available on that route? Otherwise, hard to understand C, given that F is only marginally more expensive.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Mileage balance

Anybody got 1M or more in balance? I think I got too much already (couple hundred K) and kind afraid of devaluation. Seems transferring bonus miles from Chase Ink and Sapphire was not the best move...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 14, 2013 at 5:51 am Reason: please search for existing threads before starting new ones; thanks
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: UA G, Marriott PlatPrem
Couple nice international F award trips should cure that, no?

Take the significant other out to a nice seafood dinner.... In Palau
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by pbearmedic
Couple nice international F award trips should cure that, no?

Take the significant other out to a nice seafood dinner.... In Palau
The place where I am nice (read - tasty) seafood dinner costs $10. Palau - 30K miles in Y.

My question was more philosophical/practical - as far as I see, it does not make much sense accumulate miles because tomorrow they might be simply gone and one does not have any recourse, right?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
Personally, I don't worry too much about the dreaded "devaluation". Seriously, the *A award chart hasn't changed that much in recent years. That said, I also ONLY use my miles for F or J Award seats.

While some award levels have been inflated in recent years, the quality of J has also improved on many *A carriers. Thus, while I prefer F, I'm now comfortable saving a few miles and taking the occasional J seat on many carriers.

So, for me, the magic number of miles to maintain in my account is 640,000. Given that most any F award on *A is 160,000 RT, I can get one for myself and a traveling companion for 320,000 miles.

I like to have double that amount in case:
1. I have to use Standard versus Saver (dreadful prospect)
2. I need to book two such trips simultaneously
3. I'm undecided on routings/carriers for a vacation so I need to "double book" so that I can "trip improve" on the routings/classes as the months go by.

Less than 640,000 in my account and I get a little nervous...
While I do believe in keeping a balance for emergencies, when do you have to get to Australia for an emergency in F for 2 people? 640k is overkill IMO , while standard awards are only good on UA metal. Thus I would pay for a business class seat on an airline rather than burning 320k for a United F seat on a standard award in your example. To each his own.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Usually keep between 1 and 1.5 but I was up over 2.5MM at one point last year. Plus Amex points good for about 2MM miles on DL, SQ, CX, BA, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
You're not serious, are you?
People earn miles from credit card use and other sources, so huge balances are impressive ^ but not shocking .

I am usually somewhere between 500k and 700k, while burning ~250K per year on two F/C trips from the US to Southeast Asia.

SunLover
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:57 am

Whoa ... impressive! Looks like Gatsby is alive and kicking

Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
I regularly fly a minimum of 300-400,000 miles per year and have in the past reached 500,000. Most of the miles are credit card spends always 7 figures.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I currently have 1.8M miles in my account.

I burn very little for myself because I need all the EQMs I can earn to maintain 1K status. When I burn, it is for others. I have gifted about 750,000 miles to family and friends in the last 3-4 years.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:37 pm
RNE

We're on the fence. I'm spending my RDMs as soon as I get them, but my wife is banking hers. I currently have 70,000 RDMs, but I recently spent 200,000 for a European trip and 100,000 for an Hawaiian trip. So, I had about 370,000 recently. TSMRSRNE has 270,000 RDMs and (get this) only 40,000 lifetime miles! That beneficial imbalance is thanks to my finagling miles from various banks and other vendors.

Last edited by RNE; Jun 15, 2013 at 9:51 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Typically 100-200k UAMP plus 100k each in one or two credit card currencies.

I'm all in favor of churning - earn and burn, don't save up millions to watch them devalue with rate increases and copay/fuel charge increases.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:13 pm

I hover in the 400-500k range with UA and in the 50-100k range on other carriers. I use miles only to pay for trips which would otherwise be expensive (e.g. in-season international and last minute trips). I wholly reject the notion that miles should be "burnt." They should be used prudently. I would never waste them on trips that can be had for little cash, on F/C, or on mail order trinkets. That said, devaluation is always a sad fact of life.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
600K+. Never seem to have the time to use them for myself. Only redemptions in the last couple of years have been to help out friends.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Indelaware
I use miles only to pay for trips which would otherwise be expensive ... I would never waste them ... on F/C ...
That is curious. Award upgrades are possibly the best $ per mile use of MP miles, followed by international C. I just booked tix to PEK in C that would have cost me over $10k. I spent 60k miles. $0.17/mile isn't the best I've done, but it isn't bad. Of course, if you don't value F or C at all, I guess it's a different decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.