Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

How many miles do you all keep in your accounts? I'm curious as to how many miles you consider too many. I don't want to load it up too much, only to suffer a mile devaluation; right now my balance is 161k and my wife has a little over 78k.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 16, 2013 at 10:43 am Reason: poor thread title
Old May 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, AS, AA, DL
Surely one's MP balance is a rough proxy for life/work balance, at least for most of us. When I worked for a Fortune-50 company and flew 100k BIS miles/yr on UA, I had over 1.5M miles in my MP account, and frankly mileage deflation was the least of my concerns, though I wasn't a mile-counter either, really.

While not retired, I now travel less for business and more with my family (on my own dime), and while I still prefer to use my miles for upgrades rather than award seats, it is nonetheless sometimes convenient to spend them, and my account fluctuates between 100k and 400k miles, as I still have considerable credit-card spend going to my account.

Perhaps the better question is: what life event is it that turns folks here from deeply analyzing how to earn miles to deeply analyzing how to (most effectively) spend them?

I do honestly get the road-warrior mentality, as I was there once, but I would by lying if I said that in retrospect a better work/life balance is desirable. Of course, some people just love to fly.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I have ~200K, but usually cycle between 50K and 300K, as I have parents who are now spoiled flying back home to KTM in C.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I have been letting my account grow, using maybe 80% of what I earn. The last 3 years I have earned 800K - 1M miles per year. I am just short of 1M miles currently in my account. I am saving miles for when my travel eventually declines. My wife also has ~200K. I think keeping a min of 100K is a good idea for booking last minute personal travel (berievement fares stink for example).
Old May 16, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Just crossed the million mark on my account. I like to think of it as my other 401k plan.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by gnetwerker
Surely one's MP balance is a rough proxy for life/work balance.
Unless of course one doesnt fly a single mile for work

I try not to keep more than 200k in my account at one time.
Burn burn burn.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I try not to keep more than 200k in my account at one time.
Burn burn burn.
Agreed I'm concerned about mile devaluation all the time so for me 200k is enough to have flexibility and put together a pretty nice F / J itinerary, while also having some reserve in case you're in a real pinch.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
We have about 700K each. It is nice in case of emergencies to have enough miles to rescue a vacation, or send a friend somewhere special. We rarely use the miles for ourselves.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
I keep around 1.2 million miles in my account and whatever I burn is for friends and family.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I keep around 1.2 million miles in my account and whatever I burn is for friends and family.
Can I be your friend???????

Seriously, I try to keep 100K in either my wife's or my account in case of an emergency need (first class, of course). Currently I have 111K and my wife has 75K so it's time to plan a trip!
Old May 16, 2013, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
2.5 million over 5 years. No reward travel booked ever, why burn when you can earn?
Old May 16, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jgxtrav1
Can I be your friend???????

Seriously, I try to keep 100K in either my wife's or my account in case of an emergency need (first class, of course). Currently I have 111K and my wife has 75K so it's time to plan a trip!
<G>I've probably been around a lot longer than you...Actually I do find that I've been using miles quite a bit more for domestic upgrades as certain CPUs (ORD-LAX/SFO) seem far less likely to clear now than in the good old PMUA days. Happy travels to you and your spouse.
Old May 16, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: united mileage plus
I'm saving mine (just over 800k) until I reach nirvana . . .er, retirement
Old May 16, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have about 200k, but I don't have a goal. I use my miles when I can't find a reasonable airfare. I just used 120k miles for two round trip tickets that would've cost over $4k. If the tickets were reasonably priced, I would've bought them and earned the miles / status.

It also depends on whether you are saving for something, and how fast you earn miles.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
My objective is to keep enough for the possibility of using for upgrades, so at least 40k for a R/T. Ideally more in case I have two itineraries pending (I tend to have intermittent international long haul).

Above that and it's flexibility to buy award tickets if needed, but to have that flexibility I would need to be up near 500K for 3 saver C tickets to other parts of the world, which is a pretty lofty number of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.