Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:23 am

I am seeing the same thing on UA 875. The same set of pax are on the upgrade list for BF and GF. Many of them have cleared the BF upgrade list.

Are these non-revs? Do their upgrades get precedence over the regular passengers?

Originally Posted by @ORD
I can't find an appropriate existing thread to post this question under.

So i applied a GPU to an upcoming international flight tomorrow, and I am currently #1 on the BusinessFirst upgrade list. The flight status listed 3 passengers waitlisted for Global First upgrade, and the same 3 passengers are also waitlisted for BusinessFirst upgrade.

I am just wondering under what circumstances this would be possible, ie same passengers is waitlisted for upgrades to both premium cabins.

Thanks
@ORD
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:26 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by malgudi
... Are these non-revs? Do their upgrades get precedence over the regular passengers?
The nonrevs should be at the bottom of the priority lists hence they will not clear into that cabin until all the rev passengers have been handled.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:47 am

Good to know.

So who are these folks then?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The nonrevs should be at the bottom of the priority lists hence they will not clear into that cabin until all the rev passengers have been handled.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:53 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... So who are these folks then? ...
Non-revs are employees or retirees and their families / friends making use of the employment benefits for free / reduce cost travel.
Also referred to NRSA -- Non rev space available.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It really is a non-issue and is quite normal. If you watch the list grow as people check-in they usually slide towards the bottom pretty quick.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It really is a non-issue and is quite normal. If you watch the list grow as people check-in they usually slide towards the bottom pretty quick.
Yes you will see this on virtually all flights to popular vacation destinations. The nonrevs will also be on the standby list.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:31 am

Sorry ... I meant if these are not NRSA, then who are the folks who are on both the C and F upgrade lists, with many of them already upgraded to C?

See today's 875.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Non-revs are employees or retirees and their families / friends making use of the employment benefits for free / reduce cost travel.
Also referred to NRSA -- Non rev space available.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry ... I meant if these are not NRSA, then who are the folks who are on both the C and F upgrade lists, with many of them already upgraded to C?

See today's 875.
NRPS (non-rev positive space). Employees who can confirm in BF and waitlist for GF.

It is discussed repeatedly in this thread.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:22 am

Got it ... thanks! Must be a lot of unusual staffing problems happening in HND to have so many NRPS.

Atleast it doesn't affect my upgrades (this time)

Originally Posted by Kacee
NRPS (non-rev positive space). Employees who can confirm in BF and waitlist for GF.

It is discussed repeatedly in this thread.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Got it ... thanks! Must be a lot of unusual staffing problems happening in HND to have so many NRPS.

Atleast it doesn't affect my upgrades (this time)
with such a large group, this would be for a flight crew staffing. Not related to the HND airport operation. They all may be flying out of NRT but have the hotel in Tokyo.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:36 am

names that appear in both the upgrade list and the standby list?

I've often wondered about this.... I frequent see identical names that appear
in both the upgrade list and the flight standby list. Who are these people?

For example, on my flight tomorrow, the flight is less than 25% full, based
on the seat map. (no surprise, who likes 6AM flights anyway? )

These names are on both lists... I assume they are the same people because
the first 3 letter of the last named and the first letter of the first names are
identical?

WIC, B
PHI, J
PHI, M
SAR, K
OSC, D

Interestingly, those 5 names are at the bottom of the upgrade list(8,9,10,11,12)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain these are all non-revs. Somebody smarter than me might have a definitive answer.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by rmlanman
I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain these are all non-revs. Somebody smarter than me might have a definitive answer.
I'm not smarter than you are, but that is correct. You'll see they're also on the C and F upgrade lists at the same time on three-class birds.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
yes they are all non revs. THey will clear to the highest class they are waitlisted/eligible for.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:38 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Clarification? You do mean to say that they are on the Upgrade "Standby" List and flight Standby list, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.