Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Passengers on multiple Standby Lists for a given flight

I've noticed on international flights that some folks often find themselves on more than one of standby lists (flight, biz and 1st). As an example, on tomorrow's flight 972, the same person is on both biz and 1st standby list and another one all three.

Given that this observation is no an exception, I'm wondering if these folks are possibly GS (although 972 tomorrow is wide open so United could easily have cleared them), non-rev, or something else.

Any input is welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reason: merged with existing thread on topic
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Those are nonrevs.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Upgrading to First after Upgrading to Business

I am looking at the upgrade list for UA 382 on 11/20 and notice that there are 10 people waitlisted for an upgrade to GlobalFirst on the 777. All 10 of those people show up as having been upgraded to Business (i.e., on the upgrade cleared list).

How can you upgrade to C and then also be on the waitlist for F?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 19, 2013 at 7:24 pm Reason: merged with existing thread on topic
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It's also a domestic route. They could have bought an upgrade after already getting a CPU or another type of upgrade.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by joedish
Nonrevs
That's what I thought, but why would 10 non-revs clear the C upgrade list almost 24 hours in advance? Shouldn't non-revs clear last?

Originally Posted by sammyindc
It's also a domestic route. They could have bought an upgrade after already getting a CPU or another type of upgrade.
They are waitlisted for F, so if they got a CPU to C they haven't yet purchased up to F from there.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On my last SFO-HNL trip two weeks ago, old three class 772, pax who had upgraded to J were also waitlisted for upgrades to F. On the outbound, the four of us at the top of the list ultimately cleared into F, though I believe these were technically op-ups as Y was oversold. On the return, the GA ignored the waitlist and cleared 11 nonrevs into F, which was technically the correct approach but still frustrating to watch as I sat at number 4 on the waitlist.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by cmhua777
That's what I thought, but why would 10 non-revs clear the C upgrade list almost 24 hours in advance? Shouldn't non-revs clear last?

They are waitlisted for F, so if they got a CPU to C they haven't yet purchased up to F from there.
Non-revs likely are deadheading crew that can be confirmed in business. They then are waitlisted for F. You will generally see this when there are irrops and crew have to deadhead home.

Originally Posted by Kacee
On my last SFO-HNL trip two weeks ago, old three class 772, pax who had upgraded to J were also waitlisted for upgrades to F. On the outbound, the four of us at the top of the list ultimately cleared into F, though I believe these were technically op-ups as Y was oversold.
Same thing happened to me last week. Y was not oversold.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott P, SPG G
have seen these a lot!! but they never clear on the UG list if I'm not
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:55 am

How can 2 passengers be on the Y->C AND the C->F upgrade lists at the same time?

I am poking around the upgrade list of UA 838 DEC 19 BKK-NRT and I see the same two passengers listed for a Y->C upgrade AS WELL AS a C->F upgrade.

Would anyone care to explain how this is possible?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Non-rev

I bet they are on the standby list as well

*edit* Now that i look there are 7 on all 3 lists
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:57 am

Oh boy, here we go again.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:58 am

Non-revs get on the upgrade list???

And not once, but twice?

And ahead of someone with status?

Really???

I meant the UPGRADE STANDBY LIST.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Oh boy, here we go again.
Hahahahahahahahaha and like clockwork, in the next post...
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:03 am

OK- I think I get it.

Sorry if I missed previously discussed outrage .
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I dont see the issue if they are on the list. I feel bad for someone them, they have to work for united.

BTW who has status and is below them? The standby list does not include status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.