Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Droneklax
Non-revs get on the upgrade list???

And not once, but twice?

And ahead of someone with status?

Really???

I meant the UPGRADE STANDBY LIST.
First point, is the non-revs are at the bottom of the waitlist for that cabin -- all regular waitlisted passengers must clear first.

Non-revs can waitlist for any cabin and if there are no waitltisted regular customers and empty seats then they can clear.

This has been the practice for many, many years on UA.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:07 am

It is reassuring to know that as 1K, I am a hair above non-rev.

Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Droneklax
OK- I think I get it.

Sorry if I missed previously discussed outrage .
No worries. Once you think through it, you get over the initial outrage. The only folks left outraged are (1) those who remain confused about what is happening, and (2) those who are so insanely delusional about the way the money works that they think UA should be filling long-haul premium cabins with free upgrades.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
many times if they have regular pax and nonrevs on both lists, i see them directly sending the nonrev to F instead of upgrading rev pax to F/J and putting the nonrev in back cabin.

great benefit for nonrevs, but kinda stinks a bit for rev pax that they would put nonrev in F instead of op-up some GS
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
While non-revs can show up on both lists, it doesn't appear to be the only answer.

I posted the same question up-thread (i.e., why is someone on both lists). I thought it was odd since most of the people who were waitlisted for F had cleared the C list >24 hours before the flight. If they were non-revs, they weren't space-available non-revs. This was on a domestic 777 (IAD-LAX).

One of the people who cleared into C and was waitlisted for F was sitting next to me. When he boarded he had a yellow handle wrap and Global Services printed on his boarding pass (he set his BP on the column between the seats where I could easily view it). So while non-revs can appear on both lists, my anecdotal experience says at least one GS also does.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think it is usually nonrevs. But there are times when revenue pax are listed on both. This happened to me on a recent SFO-HNL roundtrip. I cleared into J and was then listed for F.

On UA 555 ORD-SFO the other night a pax who was listed as upgraded to J also cleared into F. Ahead of me (I was in J on a Z fare, and wound up #1 on the waitlist). I assume he/she was GS. At the time, the J waitlist was over 50 names long, and the F waitlist was over 20 names.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
ICN-SFO Pax already U/G to C and waitlisted for F?

On my flight last week ICN-SFO, there was a passenger listed as an upgrade cleared to C AND s/he was also on the C->F waitlist. What could this be? Space-positive non-rev?

Originally Posted by 787fan
great benefit for nonrevs, but kinda stinks a bit for rev pax that they would put nonrev in F instead of op-up some GS
And this is as it should be IMHO. You want a premium cabin, you pay for it somehow, whether it's an outright purchase or an instrument (GPU/miles/UFC/whatever. No freebies unless an oversell situation. Of course, COdbaUA has taken the upsell route to a whole different level.

Putting employees in unsold premium seats is a legitimate perk.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 787fan
many times if they have regular pax and nonrevs on both lists, i see them directly sending the nonrev to F instead of upgrading rev pax to F/J and putting the nonrev in back cabin.

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

F had one seat available. It went to a non-rev instead of someone in C. That left C full, and me #1 on WL in E+.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
That happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

F had one seat available. It went to a non-rev instead of someone in C. That left C full, and me #1 on WL in E+.
I've seen GAs do it both ways. I think it matters if there are revenue standbys, in which case they will do the op-ups, then fill the Y cabin with revenue pax.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've seen GAs do it both ways. I think it matters if there are revenue standbys, in which case they will do the op-ups, then fill the Y cabin with revenue pax.

Yeah, in this case E wasn't full (had empty seat next to me). So it was a question of whether to put non-rev in F or E, and move other people around.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:03 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I don't think the non-rev thing is always happening.

I often sit in 6H in the front C cabin of a TATL 777, and keep an eye open for whether or not 6G is empty.

On a recent flight, at T-24 6G and 6D were both unoccupied. ^ After OLCI I noticed that two relatives, same first three letters of last name, different initials, were waitlisted for Y, and for C, and for F.

After I had boarded the plane, they arrived and sat in 6G and 6D. I talked at length with them (in fact one of them would not stop talking to me!).

Both brothers. Neither were non-rev — in fact both kettles with no status who had never ridden in C before and had no idea how things go in C, how the seat controls work, that you can selected your own IFE, what you can do about food, drink, etc, etc. They had flown to New Zealand in the back of the bus and had no idea why they were up there in Biz from IAD to LHR on their final leg back. I told them they were lucky and should not have been sitting in those seats as there was plenty of seating in Y!

So, if someone can explain all that to me — in particular how they came to be on all three standby lists (and actually Y was far from full so they could have flown in Coach and left me in peace!) when they were no more than kettles — I'll be more than interested to hear about it.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
I don't think the non-rev thing is always happening.

I often sit in 6H in the front C cabin of a TATL 777, and keep an eye open for whether or not 6G is empty.

On a recent flight, at T-24 6G and 6D were both unoccupied. ^ After OLCI I noticed that two relatives, same first three letters of last name, different initials, were waitlisted for Y, and for C, and for F.

After I had boarded the plane, they arrived and sat in 6G and 6D. I talked at length with them (in fact one of them would not stop talking to me!).

Both brothers. Neither were non-rev in fact both kettles with no status who had never ridden in C before and had no idea how things go in C, how the seat controls work, that you can selected your own IFE, what you can do about food, drink, etc, etc. They had flown to New Zealand in the back of the bus and had no idea why they were up there in Biz from IAD to LHR on their final leg back. I told them they were lucky and should not have been sitting in those seats as there was plenty of seating in Y!

So, if someone can explain all that to me in particular how they came to be on all three standby lists (and actually Y was far from full so they could have flown in Coach and left me in peace!) when they were no more than kettles I'll be more than interested to hear about it.
IRROPS of some sort would be my guess, hitting IAD on NZ-UK route would be very unusual (typically you have one stop in LAX or SFO if via the US) which further suggests a snafu earlier in the journey. As for why they didn't put those pax in original class of service, perhaps they were mis-coded when trying to get them standby back home.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:18 pm

United sometimes moves in mysterious ways.

Originally Posted by 1P
I told them they were lucky and should not have been sitting in those seats as there was plenty of seating in Y!
I'm surprised you didn't tell them to get in the back of the bus where they belonged.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Curious BF and GF wialists

Can anyone tell me why the (only) 7 people waitlisted for an UG to GF on 870 on 1/11/14 would have identical 4 digit codes (ala SMI, J.) to those listed as numbers 13-19 on the BF UG waitlist?

I.e.,
How can you be waitlisted for UGs to both cabins simultaneously and (even if there is an answer to that conundrum) how can you be lower on the UG waitlist for GF than for BF??

I am sure there is a simple answer but this truly intrigues me.

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:07 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
This may help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ade-lists.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.