Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would someone be listed on both standby & upgrade list(s)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just wondering. I've been monitoring the US-HKG flights this week to get a sense of the upgrade situation, and I'm noticing that there are often a few people who are on both upgrade lists. They tend to be pretty high up the lists and usually clear into one of the cabins. How would this be?
Non revs trying to get on the plane.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Baze
Non revs trying to get on the plane.
Thanks all. I get it now!

Last edited by JNelson113; Apr 24, 2013 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just wondering. I've been monitoring the US-HKG flights this week to get a sense of the upgrade situation, and I'm noticing that there are often a few people who are on both upgrade lists. They tend to be pretty high up the lists and usually clear into one of the cabins. How would this be?
Non-Revs -- especially if they are also listed as Standby for economy.
They should be a the bottom of the priority list, although there is a priority / seniority order for Non-Revs. But since they will be waitlisted / standby for all cabins, it does improve their chances -- especially for F on 3-cabin since F is less likely to sell out. Note all upgrades of revenue customers should clear first and only then is the Non-Rev folks processed for that cabin.
For some routes at some times of the year, the Non-Rev list can be long. Non-Revs can standby for multiple flights and will in some cases build indirect routines to get where they want. Standby for XXX but also YYY and then from there to XXX.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Non-Revs -- especially if they are also listed as Standby for economy.
They should be a the bottom of the priority list, although there is a priority / seniority order for Non-Revs. But since they will be waitlisted / standby for all cabins, it does improve their chances -- especially for F on 3-cabin since F is less likely to sell out. Note all upgrades of revenue customers should clear first and only then is the Non-Rev folks processed for that cabin.
For some routes at some times of the year, the Non-Rev list can be long. Non-Revs can standby for multiple flights and will in some cases build indirect routines to get where they want. Standby for XXX but also YYY and then from there to XXX.
Thanks for explaining! Okay, I see that there are 11 non-revs waiting for 869 and they are all behind the one person waiting for upgrade to C. Cool!
Old May 13, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Upgrade shenanigans, UA 940, 3/13/13

I'm on UA 940 today and a number of strange things have been happening with the upgrade list that I haven't seen before and can't explain. Does anyone have insight?

-over the past 24 hours as the online upgrade waitlist has been populated a bunch of individuals have been showing up as "cleared". Currently (about 2 hours before departure) 7 out of 20 are marked cleared. If this was a domestic flight I would expect this, as instrument and CPU upgrades that clear prior to checkin are usually displayed on this list, but IME this is not the case for international flights.

-it seems unlikely that these are buy-ups or TOD's since both the seat map and the business booking codes indicated zero availability for the past ~2 weeks.

-all of the "cleared" names on the BF upgrade list also appear on the GF upgrade waitlist.

None of this jives with my experience or understanding about how these lists are supposed to work. All I can come up with is that these individuals were on some sort of a special corporate contract deal that got them confirmed early into BF (about the same number of seats disappeared from inventory, closing out the BF availability, overnight, a couple weeks back) but still registers in the system as an upgrade (but also allowing a further upgrade to GF?). Or maybe non-revs who were placed on the flight early due to some high-priority re-positioning operation?

Regardless, looks like I will be in the back in this one - UA also managed to screw up my ticket so my GPU didn't register in the system until I called today, as a 1k on U fare I'm at least 5 from the top of the list, and over the past 24 hours the GF cabin has gone from 3/8 to 8/8. I can accept all this (I paid for a ticket in Y) but am kinda bothered by the shady maneuvering on the waitlists.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If the names are on both the BF and GF upgrade list they are likely non-revs, which would explain any subsequent shenanigans.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:04 pm

So they cleared 7 company employees or affiliates into the BF cabin while paying customers were waitlisted for those seats? That pisses me off. If I see SMI/J sitting in BF on my flight he is totally getting the evil eye.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:26 pm

NRSAs don't clear until very close to departure time, usually ~15 minutes. They don't start clearing at 24 hours.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:32 pm

Well that's what I thought. So who clears at t-24++ and shows up on both lists? I don't see any clear answer looking back through this thread.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
NRSAs don't clear until very close to departure time, usually ~15 minutes. They don't start clearing at 24 hours.
UA Employees flying positive space, as in a certified business reason, can book into business on a three class airplane, and will show up on both the business class and first class upgrade lists. Often this will be a crew deadheading to somewhere to solve an unusual crew staffing problem. These are NRPS, not NRSA.

And as has been said, employees only clear into an upgrade after every person who is willing to pay for an upgrade, through miles or money, is accommodated.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:41 am

OK - thanks for the explanation planemechanic. This was one of my guesses. From what you are saying these individuals have not cleared an upgrade, having booked into BF following company policy, even though for some reason they show up on the BF upgrade list (yet another quirk of United IT). Still cost me my upgrade, but I can get over it knowing it was likely for an essential operations maneuver.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eflyte
OK - thanks for the explanation planemechanic. This was one of my guesses. From what you are saying these individuals have not cleared an upgrade, having booked into BF following company policy, even though for some reason they show up on the BF upgrade list (yet another quirk of United IT). Still cost me my upgrade, but I can get over it knowing it was likely for an essential operations maneuver.
That is correct. Sorry you missed your upgrade. I have no idea why they show up that way, but it is the way it works on the lists.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
On standby and both upgrade lists

On a TATL flight I am on later today, I noticed a bunch of people who are on the standby list, the BF upgrade list and the GF upgrade list. How is this possible?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAkls
On a TATL flight I am on later today, I noticed a bunch of people who are on the standby list, the BF upgrade list and the GF upgrade list. How is this possible?
Employees (NRSA - Non-Revenue, Space Available)
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Employees (NRSA - Non-Revenue, Space Available)
Ah....there are a lot of them today....I think I counted 12 including what looked like a family of 5. Good luck with that as all the flights look pretty packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.