Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I spoke with the escalated customer care team for Chase. They acknowledge that the Choices program was a United operated program and not one that was part of their services. They're aware changes are being made by United and will regret my cancellation.

I wonder if all this cracking down on PQM accumulation is an attempt to actually place some real value on elite status. Maybe this is actually a good thing in disguise.

And yet, my $140 feels like more and more of a rip off this year.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmr50
I wonder if all this cracking down on PQM accumulation is an attempt to actually place some real value on elite status. Maybe this is actually a good thing in disguise.
I'd be fine with that (although I think cardholders should have been given more notice). I'd be fine with UA reducing the number of Elite Accelerator miles one can purchase, or stating they cannot be used toward 1K status (protect 1K to BIS like UA did for many years?), though again with notice/grandfathering.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I wonder if all this cracking down on PQM accumulation is an attempt to actually place some real value on elite status. Maybe this is actually a good thing in disguise..
No way. Just more COdbaUA smallball. Like when they changed the CRU/RPU algorithm.

Given the push came from Houston,I await an Insider's explanation. Especially why there is no notice and we find out the hard way.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: United 1K MM; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Alaska 75K
This is wrong. I loved being able to use this benefit. I was so impressed that AMEX gave me to option to cancel their card because of the changes to Hilton HHonors.

United should have given us some notice about this change or say that it would go in effect next year.

They just don't seem to think up there in Chicago.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: United 1K
Does anyone know what happens to Choices if you cancel the card? Can you still use it thereafter or should I zero out the account before cancelling the card?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by silent129
Does anyone know what happens to Choices if you cancel the card? Can you still use it thereafter or should I zero out the account before cancelling the card?
a quick visit to the T&Cs (second paragraph)
You must have previously earned award miles with your MileagePlus credit card and be a current Cardmember to be able to login. Also, if you close your MileagePlus credit card account, you will forfeit your MileagePlus Choices program balance
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-primer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

Remember using Choice Points also reduces your MP RDMs.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by silent129
I closed a Platinum Visa with 90,000 choices and the choices went poof because I no longer had the card. A year or so later I opened a United Select Visa and the 90,000 choices reappeared along with the card opening bonus of 50,000.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
But if I am understanding correctly, if you close the account, while the Choices disappear, your RDM balance will NOT decrease.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:05 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jasonvr
But if I am understanding correctly, if you close the account, while the Choices disappear, your RDM balance will NOT decrease.
That sounds right. It seems that you only lose the ability to use them as choices but can still use them as RDMs.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
correct -- Choice Points are extra benefits of a subset of your RDMs. You lose that feature but not the RDMs if you close all your MP Chase cards.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
correct -- Choice Points are extra benefits of a subset of your RDMs. You lose that feature but not the RDMs if you close all your MP Chase cards.
You will lose the sign up bonus RDM if you close it within 6 months of opening the account.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I spoke with the escalated customer care team for Chase. They acknowledge that the Choices program was a United operated program and not one that was part of their services. They're aware changes are being made by United and will regret my cancellation.

And yet, my $140 feels like more and more of a rip off this year.
Doesn't a change in their program give the cusumers the right to "return" the product for a refund? The PQMs were definitely helpful for me last year to bring me over to 1K with doing a silly MR.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
This is not the place where I should hear about a change like this

I wasn't planning on needing to redeem Choices miles this year--I did it last year, but it turned out that I didn't need them--but it's careless, sloppy behavior to make this change with zero notice to paying customers. What's the cost to have somebody write an e-mail saying "Sorry, we're making this change, here's why" and send that to the affected cardholders?

(No, really, I had no idea about the end of the Choices option until opening this thread earlier tonight. Call me out to lunch if you must...)
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
With all the attempts to make it harder to get elite status, does anyone think that the Presidential Plus legacy card EQM benefit will go away? I noticed for next year, PP is the only card where you are waived from spending to get status (with no minimum spend on the card). It seems like this can't last forever.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinks
With all the attempts to make it harder to get elite status, does anyone think that the Presidential Plus legacy card EQM benefit will go away? I noticed for next year, PP is the only card where you are waived from spending to get status (with no minimum spend on the card). It seems like this can't last forever.
It is ex Continental so it will stay forever. In fact, i wouldnt be surprised if by 2015 those cardholders get comped GS for life.

If you are PMUA, you are either already hosed, being hosed, or soon to be hosed.

Book away my friends. Book away.

And Chase still has not sent us anything in writing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.