Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mherdeg
But, on balance, no foreign transaction fees for Explorer card holders!
I have the old UA platinum card and I didn't get an email about no foreign transaction fees while my wife who has the Explorer card did. So at the moment I believe you still get transaction fees on the UA platinum card.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I have not read the T&C's in some time but there is no mention of PQM there:
https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...oicesTerms.jsp
Old May 31, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have the old UA platinum card and I didn't get an email about no foreign transaction fees while my wife who has the Explorer card did. So at the moment I believe you still get transaction fees on the UA platinum card.
Watch them keep hacking away at the benefits of that great old card over time to try and winnow down the number of active holders...the Plat card benefit proposition is still way much more than the current cards
Old May 31, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
UA Insider, is it true that UNITED has removed this benefit from the MP Visa Plat card?
Old May 31, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Got the email but don't have the Explorer Card, just the old Platinum Card. Let's see this weekend. When I make a foreign charge.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Old May 31, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
I've got the old Select which I will NEVER relinquish unless they force me. 3-1 RDMs on UA purchases, 2-1 on *A, gas, groceries, and home improvement, and 1-1 on all others, plus a 5k RDM anniversary bonus and 5k PQMs per year on UA purchases. I did however grab the Club Card with the first year free deal last year as well which I use on the 1-1 purchases to get 1.5 instead and some of the other perks like the no foreign transactions fees, club access, etc.

If I recall correctly, for those of us with the club, there may be a way to get some credit card EQMs back which I will look into again now. There was a thread on this several months back but I can't find it right now. If you go to the UA card website, explorercard.com and sign in as a current card holder they clearly display the PresPlus as an active card that still carries the FlexPQM benefit. However other than the FlexPQMs, the PresPlus is the exact same card as the club in terms of benefits for the same fee. Some earlier reported that they were able to request a conversion of their Club Cards to the PresPlus to get the FlexPQM benefit. It may do nothing to bring back choices, but it's something if they do indeed allow this card conversion.

Well, maybe I stand corrected. theexplorercard.com has now seemed to have removed any record of the PresPlus and FlexPQMs, even if you go to the current cardholder page. Looks like UA is trying to get rid of as many credit card PQMs opportunities as possible. Just hope I get to keep the 5k with my Select card.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Just hope I get to keep the 5k with my Select card.
It was a little alarming when the second PQM posting of the year from Select took so long, but I am (nearly) up to date for the year, and have 3,8xx of my 5K already posted. I surely hope the rest will post, as I depend on these PQMs (and on the terms of my card not changing without notice.)
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:21 am

I've got the old Select which I will NEVER relinquish unless they force me. 3-1 RDMs on UA purchases, 2-1 on *A, gas, groceries, and home improvement, and 1-1 on all others, plus a 5k RDM anniversary bonus and 5k PQMs per year on UA purchases. I did however grab the Club Card with the first year free deal last year as well which I use on the 1-1 purchases to get 1.5 instead and some of the other perks like the no foreign transactions fees, club access, etc.

If I recall correctly, for those of us with the club, there may be a way to get some credit card EQMs back which I will look into again now. There was a thread on this several months back but I can't find it right now. If you go to the UA card website, explorercard.com and sign in as a current card holder they clearly display the PresPlus as an active card that still carries the FlexPQM benefit. However other than the FlexPQMs, the PresPlus is the exact same card as the club in terms of benefits for the same fee. Some earlier reported that they were able to request a conversion of their Club Cards to the PresPlus to get the FlexPQM benefit. It may do nothing to bring back choices, but it's something if they do indeed allow this card conversion.

Well, maybe I stand corrected. theexplorercard.com has now seemed to have removed any record of the PresPlus and FlexPQMs, even if you go to the current cardholder page. Looks like UA is trying to get rid of as many credit card PQMs opportunities as possible. Just hope I get to keep the 5k with my Select card.
Based on your post I was able to find this page which does mention flexible PQM..

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...nefits-new.htm
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by leng
Based on your post I was able to find this page which does mention flexible PQM..

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...nefits-new.htm
I'm glad you found this again. Obviously it doesn't seem as if they would accept new applications for this card since it's an old PMCO one, but there definitely was a thread here several months back where people did report being successful at getting Chase to convert the Club Card to the PresPlus since they're all in all the same card plus the FlexPQM benefit.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'm glad you found this again. Obviously it doesn't seem as if they would accept new applications for this card since it's an old PMCO one, but there definitely was a thread here several months back where people did report being successful at getting Chase to convert the Club Card to the PresPlus since they're all in all the same card plus the FlexPQM benefit.
FLEX PQMs aren't the benefit that's been taken away from the signature visa. This is a pmUA card and never had FLEX PQMs. We were able to use choices to exchange 50K choice points for 5K EQMs once a year. This was very useful for me. I'm not happy and it's one more change I don't like.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Watch them keep hacking away at the benefits of that great old card over time to try and winnow down the number of active holders...the Plat card benefit proposition is still way much more than the current cards
+1

The may find that they also winnow down the number of active customers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 3, 2013 at 9:00 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara
The may find that they also winnow down the number of active customers.
We will see, but I think more likely, Chase will see people drop the card or select from the newer products. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from UA Insider.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
We will see, but I think more likely, Chase will see people drop the card or select from the newer products. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from UA Insider.
You know what, I think there used to be hotel option there, too.

I used the choices last december to get me over the top. I won't need it this year, but, as we have said, the silence is deafening on this matter.

Sad sad sad.

Guess I'll have to use them to get my 1% cash back instead. Too bad, really, for them.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ryman554
You know what, I think there used to be hotel option there, too.

I used the choices last december to get me over the top. I won't need it this year, but, as we have said, the silence is deafening on this matter.

Sad sad sad.

Guess I'll have to use them to get my 1% cash back instead. Too bad, really, for them.
I mean, I'm sure Aaron is busy with many matters. Hopefully he can follow up at some point with clarification.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Wow, if they cancel this card benefit (without informing cardmembers!) I'll be pretty pissed. In the past I've never used it, but this year I've carefully planned my travel to put myself over the hurdle to requal for 1K by using the 10k=>1k deal.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:03 am

[QUOTE=dulcamara;20857183]FLEX PQMs aren't the benefit that's been taken away from the signature visa. This is a pmUA card and never had FLEX PQMs. We were able to use choices to exchange 50K choice points for 5K EQMs once a year. This was very useful for me. I'm not happy and it's one more change I don't like.

I am aware of this. As I stated I have the Select card which is a PMUA card which I have used Choices with in the past. My point was that if Chase will allow people to convert Club cards to PresPlus cards it will at least give us another option for PQMs with credit cards since Choices appears to have been taken away. I know Choices is a PMUA benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.