Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United discontinued the ability to use Choices miles for up to 5K PQMs annually

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:38 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Am I missing something?

Did UA pull the ability to cash in RDM for up to 5000 PQM per calendar year? I can't seem to find that option any longer.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Did UA pull the ability to cash in RDM for up to 5000 PQM per calendar year? ...
yep, it appears it has been removed but there has been no communication from UA or Chase
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Did UA pull the ability to cash in RDM for up to 5000 PQM per calendar year? ...
yep, it appears it has been removed but there has been no communication from UA or Chase
I tried to find it over the weekend and assumed some IT error

Instead it is just more unethical treatment by Chase and United. My card renewed in Feb and the letter documents that benefit

This is even worse ethics than what united did to MP and the MM programs. And those were despicable.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
In the past I've never used it to get to 1K; the 10K EQMs from purchases sufficed. However, whenever I was close to getting two GPUs, I would use this benefit. A pity.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
T&C seems to be updated to reflect the removal:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...oicesTerms.jsp
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
In the past I've never used it to get to 1K; the 10K EQMs from purchases sufficed. However, whenever I was close to getting two GPUs, I would use this benefit. A pity.
I'm sure they'll look to whack the 10K PQM next (from $35K spend and ual.com purchases). Garbage.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by bdraco
T&C seems to be updated to reflect the removal:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...oicesTerms.jsp
Should be communicated so cardholders have option to cancel the account.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
So I'm guessing that the Choices program is considered to be run by UA and not Chase (i.e. it is not part of the T&C's of the credit card). I'm saying this because it is illegal to significantly change the terms of a credit card without prior notice (45 days if I am interpreting it correctly).
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jasonvr
So I'm guessing that the Choices program is considered to be run by UA and not Chase (i.e. it is not part of the T&C's of the credit card). I'm saying this because it is illegal to significantly change the terms of a credit card without prior notice (45 days if I am interpreting it correctly).
Rewards program terms are pretty peripheral, even if FTers think they're all-important.

According to this summary of the regs, which I haven't checked against the actual regs, signficant changes requiring notice include: "increase in the minimum payment, the acquisition of a security interest, and changes to the APR, issuance fees, fixed finance charge/minimum interest charge, transaction charges, grace period, balance computation method, cash advance fee, late payment fee, over-the-limit fee, balance transfer fee, returned-payment fee, required credit insurance debt cancellation/suspension coverage, amount of available credit, and the reference for billing error rights."
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I just complained to Chase. I predict a trivial and unhelpful response.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jmr50
What does Chase have to do with a program that is run United? Chase has nothing to do with the MileagePlus program.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by jmr50
In about a split second, they'll redirect you to United just like they did with me.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpark1982
What does Chase have to do with a program that is run United? Chase has nothing to do with the MileagePlus program.
Because the benefit is offered by Chase with their card. @:-) It's not a benefit offered to MP members in general, just to cardholders of the Chase UA MP Signature Visa. Chase even advertised the benefit in their cardholder materials.

Or are you saying that UA could, for example, unilaterally say that the United Club Visa no longer offers UC membership and that Chase would have nothing to do with the change?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by exerda
Because the benefit is offered by Chase with their card. @:-) It's not a benefit offered to MP members in general, just to cardholders of the Chase UA MP Signature Visa. Chase even advertised the benefit in their cardholder materials.

Or are you saying that UA could, for example, unilaterally say that the United Club Visa no longer offers UC membership and that Chase would have nothing to do with the change?
This is similar to the Hilton AMEX AXON demotion. But of course we all HH Amex holders received the change in writing (from AMEX), with 45 days advance notice, with an opportunity to opt out (cancel the card)

Both SMI/J and DIM/J are ethically very slimy, so not sure where to place the blame here. But Chase owes such a change in writing.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
1kvoice, by email, confirms that this feature is cancelled.....

Hello Mr <endrond>,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

The MileagePlus Choices program option to redeem miles earned on your credit card for Premier Qualifying Miles/Segments is no longer available. We apologize for the inconvenience. However, the option to redeem for a statement credit against a united.com ticket purchase, or a credit card annual fee is still available.

Don't hesitate to contact us again if there’s any other way we can help.

Regards,

<UA employee>
MileagePlus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.