Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
If this is true that would be disappointing. Not a huge fan of going through EWR or ORD (esp. the domestic 777s) to get to Hawaii. I've flown this route a couple of times and the flight always seemed full in both F and Y. United has the GSA contract for this route but some military folks was saying DTS doesn't provide the direct flight as the primary option. They said they've had to fly Delta because it has a cheaper fare...seems odd but then again DTS is a disaster.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
If this is true that would be disappointing. Not a huge fan of going through EWR or ORD (esp. the domestic 777s) to get to Hawaii.
Then choose IAH, DEN, LAX or SFO as a connecting point.

My point is that WAS-HNL has plenty of options. Don't like the UA ones, then fly OAL and connect in ATL, DFW, JFK, LAS, PDX, PDX, SEA, SMF, or SLC.

UA has only X number of birds. They can't fly from everywhere to everywhere nonstop. Want nonstop IAD-HNL then that means one less widebody to fly internationally. What city should be downgraded to a 757 or should some city not be served at all?

Can't FTers come up with any better routes to seasonally put a WB aircraft than a destination for which there are so many other possible ways to get there?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Indelaware
UA has only X number of birds. They can't fly from everywhere to everywhere nonstop. Want nonstop IAD-HNL then that means one less widebody to fly internationally. What city should be downgraded to a 757 or should some city not be served at all?

Can't FTers come up with any better routes to seasonally put a WB aircraft than a destination for which there are so many other possible ways to get there?
I agree. I'd rather see that widebody used for a new TATL destination out of IAD.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I agree. I'd rather see that widebody used for a new TATL destination out of IAD.
Or better - a new destination not served out of either IAD or EWR.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by halls120
But you don't decide to pop out to Hawaii for a four day weekend. You do in the Caribbean.
Says who? I popped out to Hawaii for 4 of them last year

Of course, also popped to the Caribbean 4 times as well, so....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Says who? I popped out to Hawaii for 4 of them last year

Of course, also popped to the Caribbean 4 times as well, so....
Exactly! We 'pop out' to Hawai'i frequently for long weekends when we want a few days on a specific island. Of course I also 'pop out' to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Taipei for long weekends, so I might not be the right litmus test.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Then choose IAH, DEN, LAX or SFO as a connecting point.

My point is that WAS-HNL has plenty of options. Don't like the UA ones, then fly OAL and connect in ATL, DFW, JFK, LAS, PDX, PDX, SEA, SMF, or SLC.

I'm well aware of my other connecting options to HNL but I happen to like and prefer the non-stop from IAD to HNL due to the nature of my work and the increasing focus on Asia-Pacific and PACOM's role. If people want more TATL's then fine. However, if you look at the economics of travel that involve TATL those are coming down to the economic situation in Europe. Not sure the market would work?

I also don't buy that this one route was sapping United from flying another international route. Part of the benefit of the merger was that United had lots of widebodies that could be leveraged. The 787 delay is part of their problem....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

There already is less Hawaii flying or so it seems. Jeff thieved our domestic 763s that flew SFO/LAX - Hawaii for EWR and IAH.

Last edited by B787938; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:08 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
arrrgh. Just lost my RPU cleared HNL-IAD-YYZ in August. Rerouted via SFO/IADon domestic 777/757 arriving 4 hours later ..... Now to clean up this mess.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
arrrgh. Just lost my RPU cleared HNL-IAD-YYZ in August. Rerouted via SFO/IADon domestic 777/757 arriving 4 hours later ..... Now to clean up this mess.
Force an EWR upgrade - rule 260 (does that still exist?)
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Force an EWR upgrade - rule 260 (does that still exist?)
cannot be done. going via IAH - at least its a intl 777 (for now), and confirmed R.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
cannot be done. going via IAH - at least its a intl 777 (for now), and confirmed R.
Who says? Hang up and call again. EWR's the most logical substitution.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who says? Hang up and call again. EWR's the most logical substitution.
I asked for R to be opened up. Supervisor says no, I can take refund if I want. I said fine to HNL-IAH-DEN-YYZ. Squeeze in the 787 on IAH-DEN in J if flying by late August.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked for R to be opened up. Supervisor says no, I can take refund if I want. I said fine to HNL-IAH-DEN-YYZ. Squeeze in the 787 on IAH-DEN in J if flying by late August.
OK - remember rule 260 in the future, I've been affected multiple times by a similar issue and have been able to get R space opened up. A more customer-service focused supe could have done it.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A more customer-service focused supe could have done it.
I am ok with what I got, not in a hurry to get home, extra PQMs will come in handy as well.

so is this flight toast period now?

I tried surrounding dates in August, and it wasnt showing up as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.