Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to UA's IAD-HNL Service (Schedule, Equipment, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edcho
The poster made it seem like it was a direct HNL-IAD... I generally hate being on a narrow body for more than 4-5 hours in Y. 10-11 hours would land me in a mental institution.
HNL-LAX-IAD is Direct if its the same flight #, while HNL-IAD is considered Non-stop

I doubt a 737 with passengers on board can fly 10-11 hours, and say its HNL-LAX-IAD at LAX usually Everyone will be Required to get off even if its the same plane going onto IAD, since there will be a change of crew and no one can remain on board w/o the crew on board and they want to send on the cleaning people as well.

So with say an hour down at a min getting off and walking around and reboarding usually for me makes a world of a difference. Not sure of what a 757 or 737 longest flight could be but Id guess apx 7 hrs for a 757 and < than that for a 737

. Maybe when Boeing starts making the 737-10000 it will have the range
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by craz
HNL-LAX-IAD is Direct if its the same flight #, while HNL-IAD is considered Non-stop

I doubt a 737 with passengers on board can fly 10-11 hours, and say its HNL-LAX-IAD at LAX usually Everyone will be Required to get off even if its the same plane going onto IAD, since there will be a change of crew and no one can remain on board w/o the crew on board and they want to send on the cleaning people as well.
and if a different plane is used, which is highly likely, then if HNL-LAX is late, dont count on LAX-IAD waiting for you
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors

So with say an hour down at a min getting off and walking around and reboarding usually for me makes a world of a difference. Not sure of what a 757 or 737 longest flight could be but Id guess apx 7 hrs for a 757 and < than that for a 737

. Maybe when Boeing starts making the 737-10000 it will have the range
EWR-TXL is one of the longest commerical flights for a 752, and even that is way shorter than HNL-IAD. Theoretically, i think the 737-700ER could actually make this flight nonstop, but not sure if UA wants sub-fleet of like 5 aircraft.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
and if a different plane is used, which is highly likely, then if HNL-LAX is late, dont count on LAX-IAD waiting for you
last yr (I believe it was) I did HNL-LAX-IAD-JFK and the HNL-LAX-IAD was a 763 and was the same plane, we arrived late and left late due to our late arrival. Everyone had to get off as there was a crew change and they wanted to clean the plane and restock the galleys. At that time there was no HNL-IAD non-stop

So anything is possible

Last edited by craz; Mar 25, 2013 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Why? HNL-LAX-IAD same flight # lets say even if theres a change of aircraft @ LAX. Or its being used as a placement thing till they decide which ac to put on it
It's used as a placement thing. It's now showing 777.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 787fan
EWR-TXL is one of the longest commerical flights for a 752, and even that is way shorter than HNL-IAD. Theoretically, i think the 737-700ER could actually make this flight nonstop, but not sure if UA wants sub-fleet of like 5 aircraft.
Yes, 737-7ER would make it no problem I would think, range is 5630nm. It would be a miserable experience in Y, I should imagine.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Most people in the DC area who want to escape to warm climates don't go to Hawaii. Why would you want to go 10 hours away when in 3-4 hours you are in the Caribbean?

I thought it was a dumb route when it was announced, and apparently it was.
For starters, the extensive military presence in Hawaii. Home of the US Pacific Command, the US Pacific Fleet, The United States Army Pacific Command, Pacific Air Force command, Tripler Army Medical Center, Marine Forces Pacific, and the countless subordinate commands all in the islands. All need periodic access to HQ (DC). It is also a state (really) with governmental ties to DC and a destination for much of the east coast who knows better than to go to the Caribbean. Oh yea...and home.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmculp
For starters, the extensive military presence in Hawaii. Home of the US Pacific Command, the US Pacific Fleet, The United States Army Pacific Command, Pacific Air Force command, Tripler Army Medical Center, Marine Forces Pacific, and the countless subordinate commands all in the islands. All need periodic access to HQ (DC). It is also a state (really) with governmental ties to DC and a destination for much of the east coast who knows better than to go to the Caribbean. Oh yea...and home.
^^
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
Woohoo! HNL is the best!

Can someone please plan a Hawaii-DO?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Booked for Aug 12 HNL-IAD on 764 in BF departing at 8pm - check today and its been changed to a 757 departing at 3:50pm. Try to check a seat map for the 757 flight and it gives me that for a 777.

Guess I might try rerouting to EWR instead?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by atk5015
Booked for Aug 12 HNL-IAD on 764 in BF departing at 8pm - check today and its been changed to a 757 departing at 3:50pm. Try to check a seat map for the 757 flight and it gives me that for a 777.

Guess I might try rerouting to EWR instead?
The flight is being changed to a 3-class 777 with barcoloungers in August.

UA614 HNL - IAD 3:50p 7:09a+1
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The flight is being changed to a 3-class 777 with barcoloungers in August.

UA614 HNL - IAD 3:50p 7:09a+1
Now the last reason I had to FLY UA is gone. That was the only flight I have taken so far this year.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Now the last reason I had to FLY UA is gone. That was the only flight I have taken so far this year.
?!?!

HNL flights never really had lie flats (besides the occasional subs) and I personally prefer a 772 over 764.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
When will the 777 go into the shop for the new mods. If i remember correctly the Hawaii Birds will all get the old barcoloungers?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Since I live near IAD...

...I like the IAD-HNL non-stop and will be doing a RT with the Mrs. late in May. I chose it because of the good flight times and shortest routing.

Looks like there will only be 1 non-updated 767 flying around come mid-May, so hoping I don't get stuck on it instead of the BF 767s!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.